SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    POLITICO Exclusive: Supreme Court Has Voted to Overturn Abortion Rights, Draft Opinion Shows
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 34
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POLITICO Exclusive: Supreme Court Has Voted to Overturn Abortion Rights, Draft Opinion Shows Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:

It may be intended to sway the election this fall and have nothing to do with the Court, for exactly that reason.

The court decision was to be released before the midterms anyway. Has nothing to do with the election.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Take them off the DC cocktail circuit invite list.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The justices know the very strong feelings on both sides of the issue. They know the personal consequences of their decision.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

It may be intended to sway the election this fall and have nothing to do with the Court, for exactly that reason.

The court decision was to be released before the midterms anyway. Has nothing to do with the election.
One "could" argue that we're still far enough away from the election that legislation could "still" be pushed through. I'm not the one that believes that, but it's all over the media. ......Closes twatter browser tab... Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing that’s always intrigued me about this issue is that Congress could never pass a federal law protecting abortion - the political will isn’t there and even if it was it’s doubtful they have the power. In light of that, why do some people think it’s a good idea for nine unelected lawyers do the same thing with the stroke of a pen?

Roe and Casey clear examples of the Court writing a Constitution rather than interpreting one, and it’s about time they got back to doing lawyers’ work rather than politicians’ work.

Posts: 988 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Maybe. There’s a lot of money to be raised between now and then.

Posts: 988 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
The left is in complete Berserker mode… They’ve no idea what they’re doing IMO. Nothing more than Saul Alinsky (obummer) tactics.

Just look at our current status. People telling you every day not to believe you’re damn lying eyes.

They are losing the narrative and know that they can only control same via totalitarianism, censorship/propaganda and continued crisis.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The left are children. They believe if they pout and scream and threaten enough,they'll get their way. That's why some loser leaked this Supreme Court draft. They live in this childish world.

And case in point, barricades have already been put up around the Supreme Court building after this leak was announced.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Barricades for the progressive and loving left? I don't understand why that could be needed?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
The left are children. They believe if they pout and scream and threaten enough,they'll get their way.
They also believe men can get pregnant, math is racist and that Joe Biden is a competent leader.

I defy anyone here to offer up a realistic scenario in which the leakage of their impending decision influences in any way the ultimate action of the SCOTUS on this issue.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
More leftists self-immolations…

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
The folks who protest in front of the SCOTUS bldg. always make me scratch my head. Do they think the justices are staring out the window, wondering how they can appease the protestors? I guess the protestors in Lafayette Park got to LBJ once in a while, but I really doubt it works that way with the SCOTUS. Some of those guys are wobbly, no matter what. I can't see them changing a decision based on who screams the loudest outside the bldg.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
The folks who protest in front of the SCOTUS bldg. always make me scratch my head.

Like most protests in this country it is to attract attention to themselves.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Swift and decisive action must be taken to find out who leaked this. All the while let it be known all staffers will be fired if an investigation doesn't yield results. This can not stand.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
The left is in complete Berserker mode…

Wait until tomorrow when the screams of, "BACK ALLEY ABORTIONS!!!" and "COAT HANGERS AND BOTTLES OF PEPSI!!!" start. It's going to be an epic leftist meltdown.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Perhaps will get to hear them speaking in tongues and get to see them chewing off their own limbs.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Jonathan Turley:

The alleged leak of the opinion in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization is nothing short of breathtaking. It would constitute one of the greatest breaches of security in the history of the Court.

.The article represents the greatest crisis that Chief Justice John Roberts has faced in his tenure on the Court. It is a breach of the most fundamental obligations and traditions of the Court.

.If this is a true copy of the draft opinion it is hard not to view this as a malicious act. What is the motivation of releasing such a decision? The only intent of such a leak is to trigger a response from outside of the Court.

.This draft is from February and the majority can shift on such opinions. However, the act of leaking such a draft opinion ranks as an original sin for judicial ethics.

.The most likely motivation is obviously to pressure the Court and push the legislation in Congress on a federal abortion law before the midterm elections. It will also likely renew the call for court packing.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My opinion : John Roberts is not a strong chief justice. He worries foremost about the "image" of the SC (and his own image). He does not support having the SC make historically impactful decisions on things where there are strong factions on both sides of the argument. He wants to punt.

Posts: 19504 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Swift and decisive action must be taken to find out who leaked this. All the while let it be known all staffers will be fired if an investigation doesn't yield results. This can not stand.

What if a justice is involved in the leak?

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:

What if a justice is involved in the leak?

I would assume they'd be immediately impeached.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
If the leaked material is indeed what it's claimed to be, the court staff and whoever else they use to protect to theirs works in progress will need to jump on this.

Onto the bigger question of whether they vote to overturn Roe, I've long advocated that it was incorrectly decided and it should have always been up to the states to decide what is permissible in terms of other societal issues.

Roe was no more constitutional than if the SCOTUS were to say there's a newly inferred constitutional right to euthanasia and the states were powerless to disagree through legislation.

At most overturning Roe will take the issue back - from which it came - to the states to let them decide whether abortion is allowed and on what terms. This is a state issue and up to the legislatures of each state to decide the issue through legislation. It's a political issue as it always has been and the court erroneously stepped into the political fray decades ago by finding the inferred right.

In a number of states overturning Roe doesn't matter because laws are already on the books protecting or giving the right to abortion.

The biggest problem with overturning it will be that there are generation of people who were raised to believe the Roe was the only law of the land and it can't be any other way. Laws change and are in flux and a bad law doesn't deserve to continue to live in if it's poorly decided.

There will be wailing, crying and protests but in the end the right to an abortion will be determined by the states.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post