SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Feds have arrested a contractor for leaking classified documents to media
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feds have arrested a contractor for leaking classified documents to media Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
marksman,

from the article, this link

https://www.documentcloud.org/...ing.html#document/p1

That was t/s? It says nothing, mere gibberish, speculation.

That's what I'm getting as well. I still don't see where there is anything definitive about what the Russians were supposed to have done, or what effect they had on anything. I'm not trying to be wilfully ignorant but if someone could point out what I'm missing I'd appreciate the help.

Posts: 4985 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
marksman,

from the article, this link

https://www.documentcloud.org/...ing.html#document/p1

That was t/s? It says nothing, mere gibberish, speculation.

That's what I'm getting as well. I still don't see where there is anything definitive about what the Russians were supposed to have done, or what effect they had on anything. I'm not trying to be wilfully ignorant but if someone could point out what I'm missing I'd appreciate the help.

Nothing. It's really nothing.

Hackers tried to hack a software developer. Guess what? Happens about a million times a day to every single software developer on the planet. Big News Alert!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"No reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case".

Big Grin

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Start convicting these people of treason AND the people who received the classified information!

This is without a doubt what I believe needs to happen. Make examples out of them and the problem will end.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6489 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
We missed the chance to make a meaningful and lasting example when Hillary skated. Instead she will now be used as a precedent for those who follow. Call it the extremely careless defense.

But because this Winner is a low level little bitch she will suffer the consequences as she should.

Had they dealt with Hillary they way they will probably deal with the most recent snowflake the problem would have gone away already.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8537 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It looks like the FBI was able to track her down pretty quickly as the color printer she used to print the document placed "micro dots" that are invisible to the naked eye that show the printer serial number, time and date etc of the print job which they traced right back to her workplace.

I had no idea that color printers (they all apparently do this) ever did that.

Posts: 33843 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
All I gotta say is that this traitor better go down hard and for a long time.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
It looks like the FBI was able to track her down pretty quickly as the color printer she used to print the document placed "micro dots" that are invisible to the naked eye that show the printer serial number, time and date etc of the print job which they traced right back to her workplace.

These security features have been in place for years. This is how the Feds have caught many counterfeiters who copy currency on high resolution color printers.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107684 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Whatever her fate, I think she'll have truly 'won' reality, after all.

She at least needs to go to Federal PMITA Prison till she's old and gray.

Bitch.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Treason = Incarceration.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
reportedly she tweets as Sara Winners

https://twitter.com/Reezlie

Sara Winners‏ @Reezlie Feb 25

@kanyewest you should make a shirt that says, "being white is terrorism"

Sara Winners‏ @Reezlie Feb 11

Replying to @realDonaldTrump
the most dangerous entry to this country was the orange fascist we let into the white house

Posts: 19598 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
quote:

According to analysis carried out in 2015 by the Electronic Frontier Foundation, almost every modern printer secretly adds 'tracking dots' to every document.

The dots appear in a grid at the top of the first page and bottom of the last page, with some spaces filled in and others left blank.

Once flipped upside down, that pattern can be fed into software which reads it.

The software will then tell the user the exact date and time the document was printed, as well as the model and serial number of the printer it came from.

In the case of the NSA documents, that was a printer with model number 54, serial number 29535218, and the document was printed on May 9, 2017, at 6:20, Errata writes.

Because the NSA almost certainly keeps a record of all its printer serial numbers, it would have been a simple job to track the machine to Georgia.

All agents would then have to do is check who was using the printer at 6.20 on May 9 - information the NSA almost certainly keeps on record.

According to the criminal complaint, agents identified Winner after ascertaining that six people had printed the leaked information.

Once those six people had been identified, agents checked the email accounts of those staff members and saw that Winner was the only one who had emailed an outside news source.

When confronted, the report says she admitted leaking the information.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...r.html#ixzz4jF5dMRoC

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

Posts: 388 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SOTT had a great piece with links to the FBI and arrest warrent documents. Bottom line, they believe that given the poor tradescraft, The Intercept intentionally burned her. Interesting but they call her a Hillary partisan, some of the news was saying she was a Bernie supporter. Regardless, she'll have time to figure that out in jail now.
https://www.sott.net/article/3...-trust-the-Intercept

quote:
Yesterday The Intercept published a leaked five page NSA analysis about alleged Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. elections. Its reporting outed the leaker of the NSA documents. That person, R.L. Winner, has now been arrested and is likely to be jailed for years if not for the rest of her life.

FBI search (pdf) and arrest warrant (pdf) applications unveil irresponsible behavior by The Intercept's reporters and editors which neglected all operational security trade-craft that might have prevented the revealing of the source. It leaves one scratching the head if this was intentional or just sheer incompetence. Either way - the incident confirms what skeptics had long determined: The Intercept is not a trustworthy outlet for leaking state secrets of public interests. ....

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Good. I have no sympathy for her whatsoever. I hope she receives the maximum sentence and serves every damn day of it. I hope, most sincerely, that her life is now ruined.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Good. I have no sympathy for her whatsoever. I hope she receives the maximum sentence and serves every damn day of it. I hope, most sincerely, that her life is now ruined.

Her life is ruined, make no mistake. She isn't going to get the golden parachute the politically connected get.

But there are other people who are going to take it in the neck (deservedly so) due to her betrayal: her immediate manager, the people who made the terrible decision to hire her, and whomever granted her a TS clearance.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31465 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to the criminal complaint, agents identified Winner after ascertaining that six people had printed the leaked information.

Once those six people had been identified, agents checked the email accounts of those staff members and saw that Winner was the only one who had emailed an outside news source.

So the others printed it, perhaps they scanned, emailed or hand delivered it to other sources, even from a non government or rented PC....

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
She confessed. What more do you need to know? There's no speculation here. She flat-out confessed when arrested.

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I'm totaly sure there a more than a few people that right now are sweating bullets that she will squeal like a stuck hog...she just doesn't seem to be a tough or overly smart person (except maybe to her Facebook/twitter peeps)...suffer the reality of your situation Reality.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/06/...ed-leaker/index.html

Winner's attorney cast doubt on the government's side of the story, and as for the alleged confession, he said,

"The bigger issue is: Was my client interrogated without her attorney?"

I would think the bigger issue is, how many years prison time ?

Or maybe, is this the only time she betrayed her country ?

Posts: 19598 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
We'll leave the light on.

The Federal Correctional Institution, Waseca (FCI Waseca) is a low-security United States federal prison for female offenders in Minnesota. It is operated by the Federal Bureau of Prisons, a division of the United States Department of Justice.[1] The site, located 75 miles from Minneapolis, was converted into a prison in 1992 after formerly serving as a University of Minnesota campus.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5158 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post