SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Weird Shortages Are You Seeing Now?
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 35

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What Weird Shortages Are You Seeing Now? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man

- Dishwasher detergent

I’ve been buying the Aldi brand dishwasher pods for several years now and they seem to work pretty well, usually are $3.79 a bag of 18 or 20 pods. Last week I bought a bag and it was now $5.50, that’s not an insignificant increase. Liquid dish detergent there (like their version of Dawn) was non-existent.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Great Stuff, our local Home Depot was almost out of it when I was there this weekend. Lucky they had what I needed!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
3x5 cards. I can’t find them anywhere locally.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man

- Dishwasher detergent

I’ve been buying the Aldi brand dishwasher pods for several years now and they seem to work pretty well, usually are $3.79 a bag of 18 or 20 pods. Last week I bought a bag and it was now $5.50, that’s not an insignificant increase. Liquid dish detergent there (like their version of Dawn) was non-existent.

My regular store hasn't had powdered dish detergent for over a year. Right across the street is a Walgreens that usually has a few and I grab one now and then to get ahead.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Report This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Crystal Light Decaf Ice Tea mix AND Lemon Ice Tea mix.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

When I read that, I had a vision of Homer Simpson saying, "Why don't you just use 5 x 3 cards, and turn them sideways?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Costco is out of TP....

Manager:

Throw some tissues over there, close enough.

Employee:

Confused OK, whatever.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Storm doors.
I got the last non-white colored door in the state at Home Depot today. They said they can't even order them any more.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

When I read that, I had a vision of Homer Simpson saying, "Why don't you just use 5 x 3 cards, and turn them sideways?"

Doh!

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Frito Lay products are starting to vanish. One BP stations shelves are nearly empty. Smart Food pop corn is gone.. Frown

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Report This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
I have not seen Charmin TP in Costco in Orlando for at least 2 months, maybe 3 months. And I go to Costco almost every week. We had to pull our back up supply out of the attic.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
I have not seen Charmin TP in Costco in Orlando for at least 2 months, maybe 3 months. And I go to Costco almost every week. We had to pull our back up supply out of the attic.

Interesting. There's no shortage of Charmin around here. Hasn't been since Spring 2020.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I was our local Costco today to pick up a prescription. I decided to wander around and see what’s new and what’s on clearance.

They had a full load of the Kirkland brand toilet paper and none of the name brand.

I was interested in getting a case of paper towels, all they had was 6 cases of the National brand.

I didn’t buy either one.

Gas jumped up, $2.79 today.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Report This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
Certain brands of dog food seem to be in short supply around here.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Last week a friend of mine went to an Arby's in Ohio and said they had a sign up saying they were out of beef.

Yesterday I was in my local Smith's (Kroger) market and they said they didn't have any hoagie rolls because their dough had not arrived. I said 'well, you've got a isle full of flour and yeast, why don't you make your own."

"Evil can never be dead enough" Brevard County, Fla., sheriff Wayne Ivey

Posts: 83 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: April 09, 2018Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

Gas jumped up, $2.79 today.

You have it good still

At my local Wawa, regular is now $3.55/gallon Frown

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A day or two ago, I needed about 6” of 3/8 rubber hose. Hit the local Advance auto parts store for it. While I was there I figured and get two new clamps, just to thrown a couple bucks more there way. Nope. None to be had.

The guy told me they don’t have any hose clamps and can’t get em. Lightbulbs either he said.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My sister in Mpls cant find distilled water. BIL needs it for his CPAP.

Posts: 581 | Registered: September 30, 2013Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Costco had TP on Friday for the first time in weeks. Didn't recognize the brand, but they had it. Gas was up another nickel from last week.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Truck Companies in Unprecedented Scramble to Find Spare Parts

https://www.theepochtimes.com/...rvg7azL2uwlbn3QL2iTN

It’s a simple fact of life for the commercial trucking industry: without replacement parts, the big semis stop rolling.

When the trucks stop rolling, store shelves across the United States won’t be refilled with products.

“It’s getting horrible” simply finding parts to fix the long-haul trucks, said Patrick Benford, general manager at Rocky Mountain Truck Centers, in Flagstaff, Arizona.

“We’ve run into a situation where parts are just not available.”

“What we’ve started having to do is search anywhere [parts can be found]. We’re using vendors we’ve never had to before,” he said.

Need a new water pump?

That part could be weeks away on back-order.

The same thing goes for any other part that uses a computer chip, due to a worsening global supply shortage of semiconductors.

At Rocky Mountain Truck Centers, the big white Freightliner semi parked in the service bay needed a new clutch, but even that part took longer to arrive.

“I don’t see us getting out of this any time soon,” Benford told The Epoch Times. “We believe it’s going to get worse over the next two years.”

At one of Rocky Mountain Truck Centers’ Colorado facilities, customer relationship manager Tony Downs said the parts shortage has had serious implications for commercial trucking—and truckers.

“We’re having serious disruptions in parts supplies, there’ no question,” Downs told The Epoch Times. “Of course, anything with a chip is in really short supply these days.”

Downs said the shortage is due in part to cargo ships waiting to be off-loaded at ports of entry in California.

The situation is being made worse with overseas parts manufacturers having to shut down during the COVID-19 pandemic and then start back up.

And with the federal vaccine mandate for companies with more than 100 employees set to go into effect Jan. 4, that could spell more trouble for the parts supply chain, Downs said.

He said if the truck transport industry were to lose 30 or 40 percent of drivers who refuse the vaccine—“then we go into panic mode.”

“Truckers are a pretty independent lot. They don’t like being mandated,” Downs added. “A lot of these guys will just quit driving a truck.”

As bad as the situation is now, he said, it can only get worse with truck companies scrambling to find parts anywhere they can find them.

Downs said companies are already having to “cannibalize” parts from older semis, although parts from newer trucks aren’t as readily available at salvage yards, which are “doing more business than ever.”

At C&H Truck Parts in South Sioux City, Nebraska, parts manager Ray Anderson said the company has been keeping busy in 2021 selling used semi parts.

“We’re seeing a change in a lot of the phone calls we’re getting,” Anderson said. “People have always been interested in keeping older trucks running.”

Anderson said with 2007 diesel-fuel trucks—and older—parts are more plentiful, since newer truck parts haven’t had time to accumulate yet.

With newer trucks (2015 or later) certain air quality sensors have a tendency to fail, in which case some truck engines won’t operate. To make matters worse, newer parts aren’t generally compatible with older trucks.

Anderson said trucks minted in 1999 (and earlier) are exempt from many restrictive government air quality regulations. This provides further incentive to keep older vehicles in good working order.

Still, he said it’s becoming more difficult to find parts given the dwindling supply and increasing demand.

“We’ve seen the demand on these older trucks—enough to keep us busy,” he said.

John Elliott, CEO of Load One in Michigan and vice chairman of the Truckload Carriers Association, said parts in short supply include turbo chargers, air quality sensors, and batteries.

As a result truck companies have been moving heaven and pavement to keep older trucks on the road, he said.

“We’ve never seen as bad a [parts] shortage in our company,” Elliott told The Epoch Times. “Unfortunately, it’s in the newer trucks with all the bells and whistles.”

Wait times for parts on back order are also taking longer than usual—sometimes three weeks or longer.

While larger truck transport companies are better equipped to weather these shortages, “it’s pretty much a perfect storm” for the industry as a whole, Elliott said.

“Everything I see, and everyone I talk to, says it’s going to get worse before it gets better. We haven’t seen the worst of it yet,” he said.

“The factories are having to play catch-up while the market is demanding more,” said Cathy Roberson, President of Logistics Trends and Insights LLC, in Atlanta, Georgia. “The minute they produce [parts], they get snatched up.”

“It’s crazy,” Roberson said regarding the log-jam of cargo ships along the west coast. Demand for parts is “crazy up.”

According to USA Trade Online, ocean freight imports of motor vehicle parts and accessories are up 8.1 percent in 2021 versus 2019, and up 40 percent versus 2020.

During the same January-August time frame, 2021 over 2019, air freight imports of parts rose 87.6 percent in 2021 versus 2019; 100 percent versus 2020.

“It just shows the demand is so much,” Roberson said. “Semi-conductor chip [shortages] impact every single industry.”

“It’s not like you can just turn on the light switch and it’s all taken care of. This is going to take some time to unwind,” she added. “The problem is, you’ve got to have trucks to move the parts.”

In the meantime, “everyone is freaking out,” Roberson said. “There’s going to be stuff on the shelves [but] those specific Nike shoes—you may not get those [in time for Christmas].”

Tony Bradley, president and CEO of the Arizona Trucking Association, said the nationwide shortage of truck drivers —80,000 in total—has only exacerbated worsening supply chain issues.

“Even before the pandemic the situation was we had a shortage [of drivers],” Bradley said. “It’s an older work force. We are doing everything we can to get [younger] drivers. The reality is, it’s difficult.”

Benford, at Rocky Mountain Truck Centers in Flagstaff, said it’s not easy to find new talent to fix newer, electronically sophisticated big-rigs.

“Even here, it’s just trying to hire people—and it’s all gone downhill,” Benford said. “I just don’t get it.”

Asked what the future may hold for truck parts, Benford laughed nervously.

“If we can’t get parts we can’t fix vehicles. Then things are going to stop moving,” he said ominously.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Report This Post