SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Weird Shortages Are You Seeing Now?
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 35

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What Weird Shortages Are You Seeing Now? Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
20 Mule Team Borax.

Posts: 10942 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Report This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Soda crackers and tomato juice.
Gas up 40 cents Thursday.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Lasagna noodles

Looked in 3 grocery stores and a Walmart and all gone.

I despise Walmart and do everything I can to not set foot in one

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Report This Post
Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
Once the United States entered the war after the attack on Pearl Harbor, the Axis cause was largely doomed. America mobilized 12 million soldiers — about the same number as did the Soviet Union, despite having a population of about 40 million fewer citizens.

American war production proved astonishing. At the huge Willow Run plant in Michigan, the greatest generation turned out a B-24 heavy bomber every hour. A single shipyard could mass-produce an ocean-going Liberty merchant ship from scratch in a week.

In just four years, the United States would produce more airplanes than all of the major war powers combined. Germany, Japan, Italy, and the Soviet Union could not build a successful four-engine heavy bomber. America, in contrast, produced 34,000 excellent B-17s, B-24s, and B-29s.

By 1944, the new U.S. Navy had become the largest in the history of civilization at more than 6,000 ships. Its B-29 heavy bomber program and Manhattan Project efforts together cost more $50 billion in today’s dollars.

America sent troops throughout the Pacific islands, and to North Africa, Italy, and Western Europe. The United States staged two simultaneous bombing campaigns against Germany and Japan while conducting surface and submarine campaigns against all of the Axis powers.

At the same time, the U.S. supplied the Soviet Union with 400,000 heavy trucks, 2,000 locomotives, 11,000 railcars, and billions of dollars worth of planes, tanks, food, clothing, and strategic resources. By 1943–44, the U.S. also supplied about 20 percent of Britain’s munitions.

If the measure of wartime success is defined by quickly defeating and humiliating enemies at the least cost in blood and treasure, then America waged a brilliant war.

Of the major powers, only America’s homeland was not systematically bombed. It was never invaded. While its 400,000 fatalities were a terrible cost of victory, the United States lost the smallest percentage of its population of any major power.

By late 1944, the American M1 rifle, B-29 heavy bomber, P-51 Mustang fighter, Gato-class submarines, Essex-class aircraft carriers, and Iowa-class battleships were the best weapons of their class.

America did not win World War II alone. But without the United States, the war against Axis fascism would have been lost.

https://www.nationalreview.com...victor-davis-hanson/

After reading the various posts here about shortages in the US today, I wonder if we will ever be able to get back to our production capabilities that helped win WW II...

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

Posts: 388 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Report This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Ham, don’t leave it for the last minute.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AzMikeCFD102:
Its B-29 heavy bomber program and Manhattan Project efforts together cost more $50 billion in today’s dollars.

In todays dollars that doesn't seem like a lot of money. Today we spend Trillions and get less. So little no one really knows where the money went and there sure as hell isn't anything to show for it.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My knee braces, I wear one on each knee, looking for replacements, none in stock any where. Ended up ordering from CVS for $25 each, usually pay $13-$19 each. Only other place that had them was Target, but they wouldn't ship and I am not driving 3 hours round trip to save $20.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Clorox toilet tabs.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
potatoes

Audemus jura nostra defendere

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dueeast:
potatoes

Easy to grow in limited space. Too late for this year but give it a go next year. Potatoes can be canned.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Snow throwers.

I have a deposit down on a Ariens 24” Platinum at a local shop and my name is on the ‘wait lists’ at three other shops for Ariens, Toro and Cub Cadet and they all do not have any indication as to when they may receive additional product to sell.

Their advice is to buy something if you can find it elsewhere.

The local big box stores are showing limited stock on lower quality brands which I may now consider.

Posts: 3476 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Report This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Not relevant to this thread but the following statement in the above account of the US in WW2 isn't true: "Of the major powers, only America’s homeland... was never invaded."

People forget that the Aleutian islands were invaded and, as part of Alaska, make up the homeland. While sparsely inhabited, it's still US soil...

https://www.history.com/topics...the-aleutian-islands

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Report This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Not relevant to this thread but the following statement in the above account of the US in WW2 isn't true: "Of the major powers, only America’s homeland... was never invaded."

People forget that the Aleutian islands were invaded and, as part of Alaska, make up the homeland. While sparsely inhabited, it's still US soil...

Perhaps the year that Alaska was admitted as a state has a bearing on this bit.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:

January 1959

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:

I was about to post the same thing. Though it's largely semantics it was a territory at the time. I don't think most would include American Samoa or The U.S. Virgin Islands (among others) as "America's homeland".

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Chemical paint stripper.

I dropped off a quantity of small parts to be stripped and powder coated back in September. The supplier didn't want to sandblast them due to the amount of labor that would be required (he's short on workers, too, BTW). Was promised 3-4 weeks turnaround.

Flash forward to today. Almost 8 weeks and no word. Asked for status and was told barrels of stripper have been backordered for 3 months. He's hoping to get some in and have my parts done by the end of the month. We'll see.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Report This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
2ish weeks ago, the radiator on my car let go. I ordered a new one, and the next day I got an email saying they had a 5-7 week or more lead time. I was able to find one from another source, but for a little while I thought I was in real trouble.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
HP computer ink #61 black. Got plenty of #61xl the large size, $48.00 vs #61 standard size @ $28.00. I guess buy big or go home. I bought reconditioned on eBay for $14.95…works perfect.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Adding to the list of weird shortages:
Minn Kota Riptide transom mounted trolling motors.

Posts: 10942 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
HP computer ink #61 black. Got plenty of #61xl the large size, $48.00 vs #61 standard size @ $28.00. I guess buy big or go home. I bought reconditioned on eBay for $14.95…works perfect.

except the printer yells at you judgingly for putting a non-hp products. it's their version of ink cartridge shaming.

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Report This Post