SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NAACP calls for boycott if Kaepernick remains unsigned
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NAACP calls for boycott if Kaepernick remains unsigned Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I just can't imagine any NFL team wanting to pick up this rattlesnake and deal with all his stupid shit and deal wth all the angry fans who would then be boycotting that team.
This example completely proves your point. The Miami Dolphins lost their starting quarterback to a season ending knee injury. And who did they hire to replace him? Jay Cutler, a guy who's over the hill and who's been out of football and working for CBS Sports for the past couple years. A close colleague of my is a Dolphins season ticket holder and noted that when Crapernick's name came up as a potential replacement in Miami, season ticket holders overflowed the team's email accounts warning against such a deal.

Ole Collin is unemployable at this point, thanks solely to his own nonsense.

Not that this thread is about Jay Culter but 34 over the hill? Confused and he hasn't been out of football a couple years he decided to retire after this last season.
The over the hill and retired a couple years ago comments were made kind tongue in cheek given his performance the last couple years of his career, and the fact he did indeed retire. A weak attempt at humor, but an attempt none the less.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of callibird
posted Hide Post
Let's hypothetically say, in an ass backwards universe somewhere, their boycott is successful. So, the NAACP is willing to hamstring the NFL, an organization where most of the star athletes and overpaid millionaires, are African American. They are willing to damage their livelihood - the ones who are actually successful at what they do, over one shitty ass excuse for a QB? I wonder how much support they would receive if the NFL collective got together, after suffering massive losses, and told the successful African Americans that they would have to re-negotiate their contracts, paying then half or 1/4 what they were making to offset the business losses?

Actually, now that I think about it, I love to see the NAACP be successful and observe the shit storm that follows.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posts: 935 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: August 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This skit sums up the NFL nicely:

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
That's the irksome part to this whole discussion with the talking heads. They all want to discuss his 'right to express himself' and how mean NFL owners & GM's are
Yet, I personally think he got a huge free ride there too. Say you and I work at Google, and that I think Google's corporate philosophy sucks towards white people. Now say I wear my "Google hates white people" collared t-shirt to work to protest. How long would my 1st amendment rights trump Google's right to fire me? My guess, not very long.

When Crapernick was in someone else's uniform and stadium, I would argue his 1st amendment rights were on the shelf. What he did on his own time, and outside the stadium is a whole different topic. The team owner for San Fran actually cut him way more slack on this nonsense than he should have, and as a result King Crapernick hung himself, the 49er's, and a big part of the NFL at the same time.

Absolutely. That's another line of reasoning that the local scribes have understood but...don't tell the national media or, SJW's this. Never mind they gleefully cheered the dismissal of the Google engineer for doing just that. 1AM like the rest of the BoR applies to you and the govt, not to private business. Express yourself at your own peril.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Sounds like blackmail to me.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdmb03:

Gerald Griggs, the vice president of the NAACP's Atlanta chapter, said this week that his chapter will boycott all things related to the NFL as long as Kaepernick remains unsigned.

"There will be no football in the state of Georgia if Colin Kaepernick is not on a training camp roster and given an opportunity to pursue his career," Griggs told Fox 5 in Atlanta. "This is not a simple request. This is a statement. This is a demand."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sport...r-AAql7bF?li=BBnb7Kz

Gerald Griggs is an ambulance chaser.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
If I was a team owner or GM or head coach, I would end football for any motherfucker dumb enough to disrespect the flag. Dont give a shit who. Hell the patriots arent so bad afterall...

Posts: 5143 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
They can both fuck off.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Let's think about this logically...

If I owned an NFL team, I'd be in a damed if you do/damned if you don't type situation.

If you sign him, you are going to piss some people off. If you don't sign him, you are going to piss some people off...

WHen it comes down to it, if we are honest with outselves, the NFL is about MAKING MONEY. The owners want to but butts in seats, sell ads on the network games (because the more money the networks will give you to air your team play.)

Having players that make waves politically, if bad for business. It really doesn't matter the politics, or what party, or ideology the player supports. If that player makes waves politically, they piss off some potential fans (read, DOLLAR BILLS.)

OF COURSE NFL teams would want to stay away from controversial players. It doesn't matter what the politics of the event are.

How much money did the Falcons lose from the Michael Vick controversy? How much money did the Patriots lose from "Deflategate" or the other cheating (real or fake, who cares, it happened, and it was bad publicity) scandals?

"rocking the boat" is bad for business.

Lots of professional sports teams have a "code of conduct" they make the players sign. That gives them an "out" if a player does something unpopular.

Despite my personal views, which are pretty well known here, if we look this as a basic business deal, the man is bad for business.

That is why many are reluctant to sign him. Whether or not i agree with it is not hte point, but i UNDERSTAND it. If I'm in a business to make a profit, and someone is cutting into that profit, I'm going to do what I have to do. Sorry.

It is as simple as that.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like the Separate But Equal wing of the Smithsonian wants to honor him with his own display. Link

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
That is kind of an interesting stance to take. "Fuck the NFL" I mean.

Kapernick is not the NFL. He is an employee who made a decision as an individual. The NFL, through the teams that are mostly privately owned by the way, is telling Kapernick that because of his personal choices he is not welcome to play.

Of course the NFL itself is not banning him from play but I would think that anyone who disliked Kapernick would appreciate what the teams and owners who make up the NFL are doing in this case.

What the NFL is doing is "too little, too late." They had a chance to nip this in the bud, but they chose to allow disrespect for the flag in their games on their time. "Silence is concurrence", as they say in NATO.

The individual owners are making individual business decisions, but that has nothing to do with what the overarching organization believes or will tolerate. Had it not cost them money, I'm sure they'd still be allowing it today.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
He had a huge amount of physical ability and raw talent but his head is so fucked up that it doesn't matter. Even without all that he may have never had the mental capacity to do the job at a consistently high level.

This. He only had success when Harbaugh was there. Harbaugh was a no-nonsense coach who wouldn't put up with the asshattery and kept that part of him bottled up. Once Harbaugh was gone, the new regime just let him run loose. Once Kap lost that force that was pushing him to stay focused, his game play dropped off and he was in danger of losing his job. Had he not started playing the race card, he probably would have been cut from the team.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

Despite my personal views, which are pretty well known here, if we look this as a basic business deal, the man is bad for business.

It is as simple as that.

+1

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope they boycott the league right out of existence. I hope the league gets boycotted if they allow these protests to continue, and I hope the boycotting continues if they stop the protests.

Just close the league, and watch the cries of "racism". I like it.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herknav:
quote:

Kapernick is not the NFL. He is an employee who made a decision as an individual. The NFL, through the teams that are mostly privately owned by the way, is telling Kapernick that because of his personal choices he is not welcome to play.

Of course the NFL itself is not banning him from play but I would think that anyone who disliked Kapernick would appreciate what the teams and owners who make up the NFL are doing in this case.

What the NFL is doing is "too little, too late." They had a chance to nip this in the bud, but they chose to allow disrespect for the flag in their games on their time. "Silence is concurrence", as they say in NATO.

The individual owners are making individual business decisions, but that has nothing to do with what the overarching organization believes or will tolerate. Had it not cost them money, I'm sure they'd still be allowing it today.

It's also inconsistency in their enforcement in their "standards". Perfectly ok to wear all sorts of "Hands up, don't shoot" stuff on the field, but not to wear things to memorialize the officers killed in Dallas.

I think if the league really gave two shits they would tell players to stick it, and allow no distractions or face heavy penalty.

The dumbshit Kaepernick is just getting schooled in the free market and consequences.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
If I was a team owner or GM or head coach, I would end football for any motherfucker dumb enough to disrespect the flag. Dont give a shit who. Hell the patriots arent so bad afterall...

Jerry Jones promised this if his players kneel.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have already made a solemn vow to never again watch the NFL in my life; simply because they let the Kaeperdink thing go on for a full eseason.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by Herknav:
quote:

It's also inconsistency in their enforcement in their "standards". Perfectly ok to wear all sorts of "Hands up, don't shoot" stuff on the field, but not to wear things to memorialize the officers killed in Dallas.

I think if the league really gave two shits they would tell players to stick it, and allow no distractions or face heavy penalty.

The dumbshit Kaepernick is just getting schooled in the free market and consequences.

I don't think anyone has ever worn that, but okay, let's say they did. I could have missed it.

If they did they certainly did not wear it on the field during a game. Players wear all sorts of things in during warm ups and practice including pro military and police items and I don't think the NFL has ever stopped them. But they are not allowed to wear those things during a game. The NFL head office does not dictate what the players wear until game time. The rest is on the team itself. So the cops as pigs socks that Kapernick wore? Those were at practice. Had he tried to wear them during a game I gurantee his ass would have faced disciplinary action.

I think a lot of people don't totally understand the relationship that the NFL head office has with the teams and players. Think of it like the federal government and state governments. Thats not a perfect comparison but it's the best I can think of. The NFL head office really should exist to make sure there is fairness for all teams. Individual teams, owners and coaches should be held responsible for the actions of players during practice and on the sideline. Nothing Kapernick did influenced actual game play so the NFL head office should have stayed out of it.

The NFL head office has, like the federal government, overreached in the past and so I understand people wondering why they stayed silent here. But silence is not support. And the head office is backing away from some of the more overreaching policies they've had before. For instance players will be allowed to wear various cleats on the field now and celebrations are also allowed.

I've been watching NFL games for about 15 years now and I've worked for a couple of teams in that same time. I don't agree with everything that the head office does and I can't stand the commissioner but they do seem to enforce the rules on uniforms pretty fairly.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
Well I finally have something in common with the naacp... I've been boycotting the national felon league for about 10 years. Ok so we aren't watching for different reasons - but hey I'm trying to reach across the aisle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: scot818,

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
Sounds like blackmail to me.

blackmail - isn't that a racist federal offense?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post