SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NAACP calls for boycott if Kaepernick remains unsigned
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NAACP calls for boycott if Kaepernick remains unsigned Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Seemingly lost in this boycott threat is that Kaepernick HAD a contract with SF. He opted out of the final season of that contract to be a free agent.

NFL owners are looking at two things in their decision not to sign him.
1. He hasn't performed well, and
2. Given that he hasn't performed well, he's not worth the risk of alienating the fan base of any team remotely interested in having him for a backup. Fans may stay away in large numbers. Even if the number of fans who decline to buy tickets is small, team march may well take a hit. Why would an owner take a chance like that for a poor performing backup?

Finally, he may have the right of free speech, but no one is immune from the consequences of free speech.

Posts: 13567 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillyBonesNY:
Aside from the money involved, sorts is entertainment.

If the entertainment value is deminished, so is its purpose.

A boycott is a self inflicted injury to the people they feel they are standing up for.

Shit in your rice-bowl?

That's just it, the clowns don't realize the economics of it. Boycotting the NFL will lead to less revenue. Less revenue leads to cutting employment costs from the bottom up. I am sure more than a few black people will lose their jobs because of this, and I would bet it won't start with the highest profile player on the team. Kinda shooting themselves in the dick, but hey, have at it!

Posts: 2859 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Revenue drives all decision-making.

And that, right there, is the problem. Both in the pro leagues and in college sports. It isn't about the game. It hasn't been about the game in a long time, I'd wager. It's about revenue. That's why Kaepernick is even an issue. That's why Vick and Rice. That's what Penn. State was and Baylor is all about. That's the reason for all of it.

And watching sports addicts keep supporting it all. And giving it a pass.

Because "sports."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Is this over now? Can it die the quiet death it deserved from the beginning?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Is this over now? Can it die the quiet death it deserved from the beginning?

Maybe the NAACP realized they overplayed their hand, and are waiting for some new deck of cards to see if they can improve their luck. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
A new deck won't matter... they always play the same card.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Like this...

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1784 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NAACP-we don't care how good or bad he is we will raise hell because he is a black man that is being wronged because he is black! Doesn't matter that he made his own bed and now has to lie in , it's because he was wronged by the white man's system

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
People at work have asked me a couple times about something NFL related and I tell each of them "I wasn't aware there was anything going on." Blank stares from most. The ones that ask why I haven't been paying attention actually have shown understanding for my reasons. When your hardcore fans understand why people are bailing out you've really started down a dangerous road.

Posts: 13830 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
This guy keeps shooting himself in the foot, and I love it. It seems his girlfriend tweeted a racist picture about the the only guy trying to get him a job. A black guy by the way Wink

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/...lfriend-racist-tweet

quote:
Ray Lewis said Ravens would have signed Colin Kaepernick if not for girlfriend's tweet.

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Ray Lewis said the Baltimore Ravens chose not to sign Colin Kaepernick after the quarterback's girlfriend posted a "racist" tweet featuring the former All-Pro linebacker and owner Steve Bisciotti.

"We were going to close the deal to sign him," Lewis said on Showtime's "Inside the NFL" on Tuesday night. "Steve Bisciotti said, 'I want to hear Colin Kaepernick speak to let me know that he wants to play football.'"

"And it never happens because that picture comes up the next day."

The Aug. 2 tweet by Nessa Diab compared a picture of Lewis hugging Bisciotti to a scene from "Django Unchained," in which Samuel L. Jackson as a loyal house slave held Leonardo DiCaprio's cruel plantation owner character.

"His girl [Diab] goes out and put out this racist gesture and doesn't know we are in the back office about to try to get this guy signed," Lewis said. "Steve Bisciotti has said it himself: 'How can you crucify Ray Lewis when Ray Lewis is the one calling for Colin Kaepernick?'"

Lewis was asked whether the Ravens would have signed Kaepernick if not for the tweet.

"Then he's flying him to Baltimore," Lewis said. "I am sitting with all three of them and we are all having a conversation about bringing Colin Kaepernick in."

On Wednesday, Ravens coach John Harbaugh didn't directly address Lewis' assertion.

"I'm not exactly sure what all was said. But I can tell you this: I'm way past that," Harbaugh said before practice. "I haven't even thought about that for weeks. Our focus is Cincinnati."

Asked if this is an unwanted distraction, Harbaugh said, "We have two healthy quarterbacks and we're ready to roll."

Kaepernick drew national attention last season when he knelt during the national anthem before games as a protest of social injustice, which he said he will no longer do in 2017.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh brought up the possibility of pursuing Kaepernick at the opening of training camp, when quarterback Joe Flacco informed the team of his back injury. Team president Dick Cass later indicated that the Ravens had direct contact with Kaepernick, who informed Baltimore that he still desired to play.

Ravens officials acknowledged they had consulted with fans and former and current players, as well as sponsors, about Kaepernick.

"Pray for us," Bisciotti said of the team when weighing its decision.

Kaepernick's girlfriend then posted the picture of Bisciotti and Lewis three days later.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15277 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Yeah, this clown can't get out of his own way. "What a Maroon"!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3794 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The tweet incident just proves the package that you get with Kaepernick. It's a racist shitstorm that will put all focus on 'social justice' and not the organizations goal of playing football for the fans.

Thanks for proving all of your critics right.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I don't believe that that team was about to sign him, but what the yutz did is give that team's owner an easy out, with them saying "Hey, we were going to sign him, but..."

Posts: 109057 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^ 100%. Lewis gave the Ravens, and somewhat the NFL an excuse to not sign him.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
With a girl "friend" like that, who needs "The Man" to keep him down?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
so when does the season doesn't start?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53792 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I guess this is the crazy, angry bitch.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
^^^

I see the problem right now - its so obvious a white guy could see it

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53792 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Make you wonder who wears the pants in that "relationship".

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Last year, I remember reading about her activities. She's a DJ for a rap radio station, an activist for Muslim causes and a spokesman for BLM. IT was reported that she was the one who convinced Mr. Football to kneel during the anthem. She was the one who "educated" the numbnut to her outlook on life in the U.S. I also read that they were going to have a Muslim wedding.

I guess when one hooks up Muslim Yoko Ono with a retarded NFL player, this is what it looks like.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17159 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post