SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games)
Page 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 109

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games) Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5646 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Report This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
When I am in my official capacity, I'm not allowed to have the luxury of personal opinions.

I think it should be the same everywhere. When in the employ of whatever entity pays your check, you should differ to their ideals and wishes..

When you are on your own time, then do whatever you want.

Just like me, If i was in my capacity as a representative of my job... no protest either way, no opinion at all.

On my own time... sure. say or act whatever/however you want.

Hell KevinCW, even in our off duty time, we are not allowed to express an opinion in most things because it will generate a complaint from a SJW scouring all our on line posts and facebook activity. Look at all the cops jammed up for their on line activity. Remember the Glendale cop who posted about the Ferguson protestors/rioters acting like animals? Remember Maria Chappelle-Nadal (the one who wanted President Trump assassinated but was only censured, not fired) was leading the charge to have the officer fired.

I have cop friend who does WWII re-enactments and he WAS a German Wehrmacht actor but has switched to the Allies because he didn't want to be accused of being a Nazi.

I don't know how many times I have written lengthy posts and then subsequently cancelled them instead of posting.

I always thought if I was a sneaky ambulance chasing lawyer who was born out wedlock, I would have my smoking hot paralegal show up at a cop bar and secretly record off duty cops drinking and talking shit (aka The Fuhrman Plan)......just saying. Wink

How about the Oklahoma (Norman county) reserve deputy (nonpayment position) being let go because he said "The new generation is filled with lib tards, transvestites, gays and sissies who need a safe room." Turns out all those folks were butt hurt by reading that.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I DOUBLE DOG DARE one of these overpaid, prima-donna SOB's to kneel tonight. I dare you! Mad

ESPN will show national anthem on Monday Night Football, reverses decision due to Las Vegas massacre

Have you met Marcus Peters? He had the good taste not to stand tonight.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player...578378/marcus-peters

Yep. I'm not surprised.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Here is a good an d easy way to have an impact....

"In the wake of increased national anthem protests by NFL players, Anheuser-Busch is reconsidering its NFL sponsorship, likely because the protests are very unpopular among everyday Americans. Bud Light currently serves as the official beer of the NFL.

So the company set up a hotline for fans to call and give their thoughts about the protests and Anheuser-Busch’s sponsorship of the NFL. The number for the hotline is: 1-800-342-5283.

What does the hotline say?
When a customer calls the number, they are greeted by a recorded voice who gives them the opportunity to voice their opinions about the protests.

“If you are calling with questions or comments about Anheuser-Busch’s sponsorship of the NFL, press one,” the voice says. “At Anheuser-Busch, we have a long heritage of supporting the nation’s armed forces, veterans and military dependents. The national anthem is a point of pride for our company and for the 1,100 veterans that we employ. Please feel free to share your feedback after the tone.”

The company also released a statement:

These are complex issues that require in-depth discussions and nuanced debate. What I can say is that at Anheuser-Busch we have a long heritage of supporting the institutions and values that have made America so strong. That includes our armed forces and the national anthem as well as diversity, equality and freedom of speech. We proudly employ over 1,100 military veterans and we work every day to create an inclusive environment for all of our employees. Because only together can we achieve our dream of bringing people together for a better world.
Have people been calling?
Since the company established the hotline and began to promote it, the company has been inundated with calls. According to KTVI-TV, the hotline went down Friday afternoon after receiving too many calls.

As of Sunday afternoon, the hotline is back up."

Link

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Report This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archerman:
Very interesting if this happens.

A major sponsor thinking of ending their sponsorship due to the kneelers.

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2...nt-to-hear-from-you/

The phone line they have setup went down yesterday due to the quantity of calls.

Done, thanks for putting that in here. Line is back up. Press 1 to go to the NFL Anthem line and leave them a message.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
unity. so much unity. BS

https://www.wsj.com/articles/n...-protests-1506974582

The National Football League’s more muted approach in recent days to responding to attacks from President Donald Trump followed a tense meeting last week in which several owners argued the league’s combative stance was unproductive, according to three people familiar with the meeting.

Those owners argued that taking on a sitting president over whether players should be required to stand for the national anthem was bad for business, while others thought the league should continue to stand up to the criticism, these people said.

The disagreement is a contrast to the message of unity that NFL owners and players have tried to project over the previous eight days, as Trump took on the league over the protests and repeatedly disparaged the state of the game.

The debate among owners came at a previously scheduled committee meeting in New York. It wasn’t clear how many owners argued the league should be less assertive, or which ones.

multiple owners at the meeting said they needed to avoid the likely repercussions of a lingering feud with the president over an issue that resonated with many fans. While the league didn’t issue a directive and there were no reports of owners forbidding players from protesting, several clubs took steps to reduce tensions in the days that followed the meeting. Detroit Lions players said team owner Martha Ford asked them not to kneel for the anthem, saying she would support causes related to racial injustice in return.

blackmail or ransom ?

Trump has received significant support from NFL owners in the past.

Shahid Khan of the Jacksonville Jaguars, Dan Snyder of the Washington Redskins, Bob McNair of the Houston Texans, Robert Kraft of the New England Patriots, Woody Johnson of the New York Jets and Stan Kroenke of the Los Angeles Rams each donated $1 million to his inaugural committee, as did a company Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones controls. Ed Glazer, chairman of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, gave $250,000.

Ahead of Sunday’s games, Lockhart said the league had made its point that it was unified against the attacks on its personnel. He said no one can question its viability, as well as its value to the country and in local communities.

wanna bet ?

the league decided players could be far more effective in carrying the message forward than he could be.

really ?

Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
See ChicagoSigMan's post above about Anheuser-Busch and consider the content at this link:
LINK. Looks like the advertiser exodus is getting started!

quote:
N.J. mega car dealer pulls TV ads over NFL protests
Updated on October 3, 2017 at 12:57 PM Posted on October 2, 2017 at 7:05 PM

[Go to URL to view photo] Gallery: Giants players kneel before Eagles game

By Sophie Nieto-Munoz snietomunoz@njadvancemedia.com,

RARITAN TWP. -- In response to the ongoing controversy surrounding NFL players kneeling during the national anthem, the owner of Flemington Car and Truck Country has pulled the dealership's ads from broadcasts of games for the remainder of the 2017 season.

"The National Football League and its owners have shown their fans and marketing partners that they do not have a comprehensive policy to ensure that players stand and show respect for America and our flag during the playing of the national anthem," Steve Kalafer said in a statement. "We have cancelled all of our NFL advertising on the Optimum and Infinity (cable) networks."

Kalafer is also part of the Somerset Patriots' ownership group, an independent professional baseball team based in Somerset County.

"As the NFL parses the important nationwide issues of 'social justice' and 'freedom of speech,' it is clear that a firm direction by them is not forthcoming," Kalafer said in the statement.

Advertising during the 2018 season will be considered at a later date, he said. Representatives of Optimum and Xfinity could not be reached for comment as of Monday night.

Both cable companies and representatives of Kalafer would not disclose the advertising rates the car dealer pays during NFL games.

Kalafer decided to pull the ads on Thursday after he said employees and customers commented on the disrespect they felt from players who have either knelt or locked arms during the playing of the national anthem.

"I'm talking to 99-percent of (my) contacts, and they agree that it's disrespectful, it's improper," he said. "We couldn't support the lack of direction."

However, Kalafer stressed his problem is not with protests, but the way the NFL and team owners have not taken a leadership role in responding to the player's actions.

He feels strongly that NFL owners should have given their players direction on how to best exercise freedom of speech. As a result of lack of intervention by the owners, Kalafer said, the protests have spiraled out of control.

"Owners buried their heads in the sand when (Colin) Kaepernick was kneeling. That was the time and place for direction and leadership, and that's why this controversy is taking place," he said.

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick stayed seated during the national anthem beginning in August 2016 to protest the treatment of African Americans and other people of color, specifically by police officers. He began taking a knee instead on Sept. 1, 2016 after talking to former Green Beret and former NFL player Nate Boyer about the best way to make his point without disrespecting the military. After several fatal shootings of black men by white officers took place, other players joined his protest over the year.

After President Trump repeatedly criticized the protesters and tweeted that players who kneel should be fired, dozens of players knelt or joined arms to show unity and protest Trump's criticism. Americans appear to be split over the issue according to a CNN poll, which indicated that 49 percent saying the players are wrong to kneel. Opinion varies greatly with race with 59 percent of whites saying the players are wrong, and 82 percent of blacks saying the protests are "the right thing to do."

Kalafer said the owners' response to the protests has been disingenuous, adding it's too late for them to take direct action. He said owners are afraid of losing a game if they discipline a player.

Kalafer suggested instead of the protests continuing on national television, in front of veterans, police and other first-responders, the players and teams should focus on ways to support their communities.

"Everyone should be involved in true social justice to make sure we're looking at our communities and seeing how we can make them better, fairer and more equitable," he said.

Kalafer said the Somerset Patriots players focus on volunteering as a way of supporting their communities.

"We're in schools with players talking about sportsmanship and behavior, we're in community work places talking to the under-served and inviting them to participate in our games and in our stands," he said.

Kalafer said kneeling during the anthem is not an issue for his players because the team's ownership "made sure there was nothing that was unclear."

"We're not in a movie, we are not in a documentary, we are in life every day," he said. "In order to do that, we have to participate every day, not just in a protest everyone debates. Let's not debate, let's be active every day."

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Just called and left a message.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Report This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

Big Grin

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Trump won this one bigly.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
This report indicates the NFL is going to continue to pursue a path to massive unpopularity.

https://www.upi.com/Sports_New...eting/4851507076303/

Last week, the NFL held a meeting with players and team owners to discuss the national anthem and player protests. The conversation about the players' interest to address social issues continued this week.

Tuesday's meeting comes less than a month after four players wrote a letter to Goodell asking for the league for "support, collaboration and partnerships to achieve our goal of strengthening the community." The letter also included a request for the NFL to establish an activism awareness month.

According to Yahoo Sports, Seattle Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett, Philadelphia Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins and wide receiver Torrey Smith, and former Arizona Cardinals wideout Anquan Boldin wrote a 2,740-word document intended to push the NFL to honor activism in an effort "similarly to what the league already implements for breast cancer awareness, honoring military, etc."

The letter from the 4 players to Roger Goodell is here:

https://sports.yahoo.com/memo-...odell-030818178.html

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Keep squeezing. We are in a battle of wills.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

Read the comments. Not a single one in support of this (only read fifty or so). I know yahoo has long been know as a publication of the ultra conservative and white supremacists (sarcasm), but read the freaking tea leaves NFL, you are not winning this Anthem battle, and the more it gets spun to unity or any other BS the more you piss off your viewers.

Even if as owners you actually believe in the huge white people conspiracy to suppress black folks and that cops wake up in the the morning trying to calculate how many blacks they can wrongfully jail or murder. Even if you somehow know this to be true in your heart, think about your money, think about the hours, years, and decades spent to build your team/league. Shut this shit down. It's the only wise financial decision you can make.

Martha Ford was smart enough to bribe her players into *acting* like they are patriots. You guys need to be in damage control, not locking arms with the thugs trying to ruin America's pass time and your bottom line.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
From the comments:

"Why wont the black community stop committing crimes? Why when a white heroin dealer is trying to flee from cops and attempts to run them over and is subsequently killed the white community cheers and thanks cops. When it happens to a black, he is all of a sudden a fine man with a family who is a victim?"

That's an excellent question, for which they will have no honest answer.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

TWITTER EXPLODES AFTER ANOTHER WHITE QB IS SIGNED BEFORE KAEPERNICK

The Tennessee Titans signed backup quarterback Brandon Weeden after an injury to Marcus Mariota, and supporters of Colin Kaepernick are not happy.

The Twitter universe exploded with plenty of hot takes after another white backup quarterback was signed before the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback, who infamously refused to stand for the anthem.

Nothing is more entertaining in all of sports right now than watching people freak out over Kaepernick not getting signed.

None of the NFL’s critics seam to understand that he’s just bad for business, and his talents don’t outweigh his distractions. Have fun watching this circus play out for the rest of the season.

http://smokeroom.com/2017/10/0...d-before-kaepernick/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, the horror:

https://twitter.com/VJVemu/sta...rters-are-furious%2F

Wasn't the NAACP gonna rain down Hell fire on the NFL if what's-his-name wasn't signed?

How's that workin' out?

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Just once I'd like to see Twitter actually "explode". And by that I mean combust into a giant ADD fueled fireball of self absorption and stupidity that consumed itself and then went away forever. Fuck twitter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
DONT YOU UNDERSTAND MAN? YOU'RE ABOUT TO SERIOUSLY LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE ONE FOOTBALL PLAYER WAS CHOSEN OVER ANOTHER!! MADNESS!!

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
DONT YOU UNDERSTAND MAN? YOU'RE ABOUT TO SERIOUSLY LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE ONE FOOTBALL PLAYER WAS CHOSEN OVER ANOTHER!! MADNESS!!

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/NO04VXBIS0M

Never mind, the sky isn't falling Kap is just a nut.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I love that Michael Bennett signed a letter asking for an activism month...and is proven to be a liar in his "activism."

That video the Vegas PD released was hilarious. Boy got caught lying red handed.