SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Derek Chauvin Trial
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Derek Chauvin Trial Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
The solutions lie within the minority community coming to grips with the root of the problem. Many religious leaders, and responsible social leaders have tried, but it seems they are shoveling sand against the tide. Sometimes I think the subculture must hit bottom before it can begin to turn around.

There's many tribes who live in the Amazon jungles who researchers have discovered have exceptionally short-lives. The majority of people never reach old-age or, die of natural causes, the result is a culture of perpetual warfare. Their culture demands that any slight, insensitivity or, affront to their sense of reason, is meet with violence, resulting in the majority of the populace never getting beyond 50-years of age.

I see that same within this subculture here in the US. An entire culture that revolves around emotional impulses and stimulus, willfully discarding widely accepted forms of behavior, cultural mores and general good social responsibility. The enablers attempt to twist themselves into pretzels explaining why this person 'ran away from the police', 'got violent with the shop keeper' or, 'burned someones property'. Their collapse is near and those who attempt to explain it will be out of excuses.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the causes of the lack of two parent families is having everything made in China. Many if not most moderate paying jobs are no longer available. It is hard to keep a family together if you cannot make decent wages to own or rent a house, and raise your kids.

If the parents split up, the father has little ability to pay child support, so he leaves town. Mother raises the kids with welfare payments. As long as we buy most things made in China, or import low cost labor from Latin America, the family structure will be greatly impacted and prisons will be full.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trying to look at this situation logically, which might be insane, but...

Hypothetical situation. Suppose I am a cop and I am a true racist bigot. I hate 'em all. If I were racist and rotten to the core like this, I would want to do everything and anything I can to keep people of color down.

If this were true, the LAST thing I would want is to have to kill a member of that class of people in the line of duty. Look at what's happening. Every time this happens, that cop is DONE. Fired or resigned, and put on trial. Riots in the streets.

Again, continuing the hypothetical, the best thing I could do is not to engage in any high profile activities that could be considered racist, because if I did, that would likely mean the end of my ability to do so.

End of hypothetical situation.

I despise racism, but I really don't think racism was the motive behind these recent high profile cases of people of color being shot by police. The fact that the mass public *thinks* racism is behind every shooting detracts from any valid situations where racism might be a factor.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:
Trying to look at this situation logically......

..... but I really don't think racism was the motive behind these recent high profile cases of people of color being shot by police.
The fact that the mass public *thinks* racism is behind every shooting detracts from any valid situations where racism might be a factor.

I snipped out the unimportant stuff but ^^^^ is 100% right on ^^^

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
The defense has rested. The people of Minnesota better be getting ready for the destruction, fires and death from mass peaceful protests.

Right at the end, they were able to recall the prosecution's 'star' medical witness to the stand.

https://twitter.com/JackPosobi.../1382720837980188675

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:
I despise racism, but I really don't think racism was the motive behind these recent high profile cases of people of color being shot by police.
Please stop with that. These are black folks. Nothing wrong with this description. And for the record 'white' is also a color, so I guess we could also be referred to as people of color. It's part of the silly narrative the media and race hustlers promote. Please call things as they really are.

And I agree with your comment that Chauvin and the other cops in this incident did not behave in a racist manner. Floyd killed himself and the cops are taking it on the chin for it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
The defense has rested. The people of Minnesota better be getting ready for the destruction, fires and death from mass peaceful protests.

Right at the end, they were able to recall the prosecution's 'star' medical witness to the stand.

https://twitter.com/JackPosobi.../1382720837980188675
Game, set and match the the defense.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’m feeling doubtful, just yesterday members of the Brooklyn center city Council admitted that they voted to fire the city manager strictly because they were afraid if they did not, their houses would be targeted and burned. I don’t even know what to do with that, that’s where we are now.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12334 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

I’m feeling doubtful, just yesterday members of the Brooklyn center city Council admitted that they voted to fire the city manager strictly because they were afraid if they did not, their houses would be targeted and burned. I don’t even know what to do with that, that’s where we are now.

Mob rule. No one will stop it. Prepare yourself.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29702 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I don’t think hitting rock bottom will fix this. Until people can be open, tolerant and honest enough to have a conversation about why this is happening, who are responsible and what can be done to reverse course nothing will change.

While I do not think the riots are only the media’s fault I would love to see them pay dearly for the damage and divisiveness they helped cause. The media saw a smoldering fire and basically flung a ton of gasoline on it.

At the end of the day there is more than enough blame to go around but I really hope the propagandist media who has gleefully encouraged all this division and hate pays dearly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

Mob rule. No one will stop it. Prepare yourself.

Either way, when the verdict comes out, I believe the mobs will riot.

Either they'll riot because the "not guilty" verdict is not what they want and they need to show their displeasure or; they will riot in celebration of a "guilty" verdict because that has been proven over the past year to get recognition for "justice."

Big question is, how widespread will the rioting be?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Are we assuming a hung jury? If so, how long are they left "hanging" for lack of a better term? Does the judge declare it?

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Well, from a Mpls resident 6 miles from downtown, I need a break this weekend.

Last nights news was the topper. One of the stations used their one legged reporter to put on a show for the viewing audience choking on tear gas in Brooklyn Center.

I can hardly wait for the BBQ. Bring on the Clowns.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RGRacing:
One of the stations used their one legged reporter to put on a show for the viewing audience choking on tear gas in Brooklyn Center.
If they're a trans refugee, that's a trifecta!

Posts: 107608 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
Are we assuming a hung jury? If so, how long are they left "hanging" for lack of a better term? Does the judge declare it?

He can and probably would ask them to deliberate again.

The precedent is to ask them to deliberate a total of twice (if they come back hung again). Then the judge will call a mistrial. That won't get the defendant off the hook because they have not been found innocent or guilty and the prosecution can retry him.

I watched a lot of this live on Legal Insurrection and found the writing there informative. Nelson did a great job, especially being one lawyer against the state's team.

I don't think the state proved beyond a reasonable doubt that murder occurred; however like everyone else thinks- the facts don't matter.

The jurors all know they will be doxed and have their lives ruined if they come back with an innocent finding.

That is why I think it will be a hung jury or a guilty finding.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by RGRacing:
One of the stations used their one legged reporter to put on a show for the viewing audience choking on tear gas in Brooklyn Center.
If they're a trans refugee, that's a trifecta!

The rare one legged transcontinental.....

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Now, now. In Newspeak, that'd be a differently-abled alternately-gendered freedom-seeker.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This farce trial has literally turned into "My Cousin Vinny".

Defense expert testifies that it is possible George Floyd had Carbon Monoxide binding to his blood due to the police car exhaust. On cross examination Prosecutor asks questions intended to make the expert look bad, but the Prosecutor had no idea how the witness would answer:

Do you even know what kind of car it was?
Yes Ford Explorer Police Interceptor.
Do you even know the type of exhaust?
Yes four outlets, two per side.

Unimaginably stupid line of questioning and something any litigator should know better not to do.

Then Derek Chauvin declines to testify which is his right and standard trial procedure for almost all defendants. And the CNN biased panel acts like this is something different? That not testifying and denying guilt means he must be guilty, and also that he showed "no remorse" throughout the trial. What do they expect, a Perry Mason moment where he confesses on cross examination? Why would a man who is not guilty show remorse?

And then when the prosecution tried to rebut with their expert witness about the carbon monoxide issue, they were instructed by the judge that the subject was raised in the defense expert's written report provided in February and that the prosecution chose not to address it during their case even though they had ample notice. As such any reference to toxicology tests or reports during the rebuttal would result in MISTRIAL and the only testimony allowed would be that gained by observation from the videos. And the prosecution and their expert got dangerously close to this, but referenced a blood sample taken at the hospital that was in evidence.

On the subject of police "militarization", go to some other countries and tell me what you see. Here is what I have seen:

- In central Mexico, Federales standing in the back of a pickup with roll bar wielding .30 cal automatic rifles.
- In India, airport soldiers carry either AK derivatives or 9mm subguns (with poor muzzle discipline), and all have a Hi Power in a cross draw holster. Almost every security person you interact with is visibly armed, unlike the TSA.
- European police often carry front slung 9mm subguns on the street, EVEN IN GUN-FREE COUNTRIES!
- South Korea Incheon - fully armed military police during one of Lil'Kim's nuclear annihilation threats.

Police militarization in the U.S. is this - wearing body armor, wearing tactical vests to support the weight of all the crap they have to carry without ruining their backs by carrying it on their belts. These are health & safety issues with worker's comp claims charged to taxpayers, and absolutely not something that should be disallowed because of how it "looks". BDU's because they are functional and comfortable. Weapons are standard semi-auto pistols at standard capacity usually with two spare mags, shotgun in the car, and maybe a rifle in the car. Except for the addition of a semi-auto rifle, little has changed in 2-3 decades. Police used Thompson's in the 30's and were armed with M1 Carbines during the 60's riots, so military rifles are nothing new. Do you think having police wear the polyester equivalent of fancy military "dress" uniforms instead of military "operational" uniforms makes a difference? I'd rather they be prepared for the physical demands of the job than look good in a parade.

As for "fear of police":

I have many friends and acquaintances of different races and ethnicities from around the world. I have worked with, supervised, and worked for (as in supporting their projects) black people at various times in my career. I will admit that friends, peers, and superiors were educated professionals, while the people I supervised were usually labor - either skilled (tradesmen) or unskilled.

Almost universally, successful black people I know come from married two-parent families that were strong in their churches and/or served in the military or police, and they themselves are married with children. I have never heard anyone say they "fear" the police, perhaps because I don't associate with criminals. Yes, they are ANNOYED at being pulled over for DWB registration & ID check. First time my ex-marine officer friend said DWB I knew what he meant even though I hadn't ever heard the term before. This guy was 6'6" and 200+ pounds and although he was annoyed, he would comply, be polite, provide ID and registration, and get let go with a warning for whatever pretext was used for the pullover. It sucks, but it happens, especially in smaller towns that are mostly white.

The problem is that a subset of the urban population has essentially rejected our system and rule of law. They don't think they have to follow it, and certainly won't submit to its enforcement. There is another example of this in the world - the slums in Rio in Brazil. The Police don't go there, whatever happens happens. And increasing the cartel controlled areas of Juarez and other border towns as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Underdog:
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:

He can and probably would ask them to deliberate again.

The precedent is to ask them to deliberate a total of twice (if they come back hung again). Then the judge will call a mistrial. That won't get the defendant off the hook because they have not been found innocent or guilty and the prosecution can retry him.

I watched a lot of this live on Legal Insurrection and found the writing there informative. Nelson did a great job, especially being one lawyer against the state's team.

I don't think the state proved beyond a reasonable doubt that murder occurred; however like everyone else thinks- the facts don't matter.

The jurors all know they will be doxed and have their lives ruined if they come back with an innocent finding.

That is why I think it will be a hung jury or a guilty finding.

There is no rule on how long the judge has to make them try to reach a verdict or how many times he can send them back. He can give a fairly prescribed "Allen charge" (after a case called Allen) which sends them back to try to reach a verdict. The Allen charge is prescribed because the court can't say anything that sways the jury one way or the other.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
My concern is there is at least one jury member who knows they should side with the defense, but is scared of being doxed by the left.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post