SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Derek Chauvin Trial
Page 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Derek Chauvin Trial Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
Or do not quit, just have a hands off policing policy, collect your paycheck and let the city burn.

Not quitting and not doing your job is unacceptable on many levels. By doing this, they would show the world they had no morals, no ethics, no character, no honor.

Either take the pay and benefits and do the job or quit.

Those are the only 2 acceptable ways to go. And yes, I understand how hard it would be to quit and change careers as I did it once in my life because I wouldn't go along with what the company I worked for was doing.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Our small local group recruits and supports candidates for the local school board. We helped to organize a few hundred people to show up at a County Board of Supervisors meeting to vote on a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary policy for our county. The BoS passed that policy.

One person can't control the big outcome. All an individual can do is try to push things in the right direction and expand their sphere of influence however they can.

May not be much, and may not have much impact. But this is what I do as an individual.

Local is where it starts and where your contributions can make an impact. Too many people are focused on national and state issues, instead efforts should be directed at the local level. Good on 'ya for getting involved.

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
they richly deserve everything they will get...

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Disgusted but in no way surprised.

I agree with Para
My wife bought a swing for the back porch 2 weeks ago....you will find me there reading / listening to a book enjoying an adult beverage.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Aaand here comes the microscope up the sphincter:
Attorney General Merrick Garland announces probe of Minneapolis Police Department after Chauvin conviction

Get ready for a consent decree MPD.

If half the force quit, and Minneapolis descended into chaos like what Chicago is, people will eventually understand what is going on. Or do not quit, just have a hands off policing policy, collect your paycheck and let the city burn.

You think Chicago is bad now? Just wait...

We (CPD) had a shooting where a 13 yo gangbanger was killed at 2:30am, after the 13 yo was shooting at cars.

There's excellent video of the shooting. As you can probably guess, that video has been edited, twisted and perverted by the local media. Cropped to make the Cop look like the bad guy.

Our bug-eyed twat of a mayor now wants to put further restrictions on the Police. She wants officers to ask for permission from supervisors TO GET INTO A FOOT CHASE.
"Hey Sarge, can I catch a bad guy?"

This is what my job has come to.

FlashLB, we don't have to "quit" or "do nothing". Watch what happens when we (law enforcement) do the bare minimum.
"Here's your report."
"But the bad guy is RIGHT THERE!"
"Sorry, I can't chase him, and I'll be damned if I'm going to fight him when he resists, because I don't want to get sued, loose my job, my house, my savings, my kids college fund..."
This is going to become the reality of policing in a lot of liberal Utopias!

This trial was held, verdict came in... Whatever your feelings about the verdict... It did nothing but enable "The Mob" and the mob mentality. Unfortunately it's been happening way too long in far too many places in this country.
After all, what's the problem with tossing something at the loudest asshole just to shut them up. Well now, there's a mob of them at the door. A bunch of dangerous petulant children with crow bars, Molotov cocktails and guns... And you better give them what they want.

Look at those big, bad, racist police beating those innocent protesters! They're just exercising their 1st Amendment right, but don't pay attention to all the broken windows, burnt buildings and stolen stuff. As a matter of fact, let's go after those big, bad, racist police for being brutal. Oh, pay no attention to the loud mouth over there saying "put on more pressure" and enticing the mob, they're elected officials.

All the talk about defunding police departments, there's no need. It's happening in the long run. Officers are retiring and quitting in huge numbers in a lot of these "Liberal Utopias". Look at the numbers of people that are singing up to get on the job. No one in their right mind wants to be the police today.

This country is in for one hell of a shit-storm in the next few years.
Oh, some of you think you're safe because you lived in a conservative/ republican state... And don't worry about me in 2-5 years when I run out of here like my ass was on fire. Hell, I and the family vote republican, are conservative, believe in the rule of law, and really like guns (the wife was a little late to the game, but never really complained when I spent $1000 on ammo).
But I can't say the same for the guy down the block who's looking to move to Tn, Tx, Fl, Az.... You'll see him coming, he's the one with the Biden sticker on his Prius.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I can't say the same for the guy down the block who's looking to move to Tn, Tx, Fl, Az.... You'll see him coming, he's the one with the Biden sticker on his Prius.

This is what happened to Virginia and NC is on the way....

Especially VA. It used to be a great state and I loved living there for over 16 years but now it is a festering Blue rainbow that has circled the drain.. .

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
ll the talk about defunding police departments, there's no need. It's happening in the long run. Officers are retiring and quitting in huge numbers in a lot of these "Liberal Utopias". Look at the numbers of people that are singing up to get on the job. No one in their right mind wants to be the police today.

Same here in Utah. SLC proper is a liberal Utopia. They have lost 80 officers from their 180 man patrol division. These officers are fleeing the country as the D.A. is a liberal moron who cops wont even speak with if they are involved in a shooting. SLCPCD has cut the type of calls they will respond to and removed a bunch of investigators to try and reinforce the patrol division. There is no proactive policing going on in SLC. None what so ever.

One of my friends is a cop in SLC and he said their average response time is around 8 hours. They take a call. They park behind a church write up the case and when they are done they will cherry pick the easiest call they can take. they are all bidding their time to retire and doing as little as possible until they reach that date.

I work security at SLC's powerplant and caught a homeless male cutting through our secure fencing intent on stealing copper. I called SLCPD and after three hours let the suspect go. SLCPD showed up 6 hours after we released the suspect. This is policing in America today and I guess we deserve it.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Kimber's video highlights the disconnect between the leftist elites and their army of useful idiots.

As to doing something: if you really want to make a difference take 30-40 minutes once or twice a year and go to a school board meeting and let them know you expect them to teach, not indoctrinate. Bring all your friends and make a night of it by going out afterwards.

Go to a city council meeting every now and then. Let them know what you think. Bring your friends. Make a night of it.

Most people cant name their own mayor. Even fewer can name their city/county council members. Grassroots at the local and state level will achieve far more, far faster than anything else. It's not hard. It's literally a few hours of your time over the course of a year.

These are things we can all do. Its how the left laid the groundwork for all that they've managed to gain today. We can take it all back the same way.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I am so glad I retire in 15 months and am not leaving any children to this despicable world.
We’ll be traveling around in our motorhome avoiding as many idiots as possible.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chauvin Post-Trial Sentencing: What to Expect

https://lawofselfdefense.com/c...cing-what-to-expect/

With the guilt phase of Chauvin’s trial now completed with verdicts of guilt on all counts—second-degree “felony” murder, third-degree “reckless” murder, and second-degree “reckless” manslaughter—we now move on to the sentencing phase of the legal process.

Minnesota uses sentencing guidelines for this purpose, as do most states these days, and for those interested I’ve embedded some of the guideline materials below in this post. Generally speaking, sentencing guidelines calculate a sentence range based on the severity of the crime, and then adjust that range up or down primarily based on any prior convictions of the defendant being sentenced.

Once an initial range is determined, however, that range can be further reduced below the initial range if there are mitigating factors, or alternatively increased above the initial range if there are aggravating factors, now known as Blakely factors, in reference to the US Supreme Court decision on sentencing enhancement, Blakely v. Washington, 1264 S. Ct. 2531 (2004).

Blakely is an interesting case, because it resulted in a profound revision of how sentencing guidelines are understood and applied in criminal law.

Criminal offenses typically have a maximum sentence—say 40 years for second-degree “felony” murder—and then the sentencing guidelines suggest some fraction of that maximum for, say, a convict with no prior convictions—say, 10.5 years for that same-second degree murder.

The traditional practice had long been that a judge could consider a variety of mitigating and aggravating factors in ordering a shorter or longer sentence than the guidelines suggested, and that this consideration was entirely in the discretion of the sentencing judge—so long as the sentence ordered did not exceed the maximum statutory sentence for that particular offense for which the defendant had been found guilty.

So, in the context of our second-degree “felony” murder conviction, a jury of the defendant’s peers had found him guilty of that crime, punishable by up to 40 years, and now it was within the discretion of the sentencing judge to start sentencing considerations using the recommended sentence suggested by the guidelines, and then adjusting upward or downward based on his own discretion, with no further involvement by a jury.

The only time further involvement of a jury would be required, then, would be if the judge wished to exceed the statutory maximum sentence for the crime for which the defendant had been convicted—in effect, the defendant would need to be convicted of a separate offense that carried a longer than 40 year maximum if the judge wanted to sentence the defendant to additional time beyond the 40, and of course a separate conviction would once again trigger the right to a jury to do the fact finding.

That is how sentencing departures typically worked—a sentencing judge had no need to involve a jury in sentencing so long as the judge did not attempt to exceed the maximum statutory sentence for the crime for which the jury had already found the defendant guilty.

Blakely changed all that.

Under Blakely, the judge still needed to involve a jury if he wanted to sentence beyond the maximum statutory range for the crime for which the defendant was convicted. But Blakely also held that a judge needed to involve a jury if he wanted to sentence a convict beyond the range suggested by the sentencing guideline.

In effect, the limit of the sentencing judge’s discretion was no longer the statutory maximum for the crime in question. Under Blakely the limit of the sentencing judge’s discretion became whatever sentence was suggested by the sentencing guidelines. If the sentencing judge wanted to exceed the guideline suggestion of sentence, under Blakely the convict now has a right to a jury to do the fact finding on that decision.

In the case of Minnesota v. Chauvin, the state months ago filed notice with the court that if Chauvin were found guilty, they intended to seek sentencing departure above and beyond the normal range based on a variety of aggravating factors they claimd to exist, which they outlined in a motion filed last October 12, 2020.

Immediately after yesterday’s reading of the guilty verdicts, Judge Cahill informed the parties that they would have one week to file arguments on Blakely factors in this case, and that he would render his factual findings of aggravating factors for sentencing within the following week.

Separately, Judge Cahill ordered a pre-trial investigation (PSI) to be conducted, returnable in four weeks, and arguments on the PSI findings two weeks after that, and final sentencing a further two weeks after that—so, final sentencing will be 8 weeks from yesterday’s verdict.

Each of the charges on which Chauvin was convicted carries its own maximum sentence, but that maximum is rarely imposed in the absence of prior convictions, so generally the defendant without priors—now, convict, after being found guilty—can expect to be sentenced to some sizeable fraction of the maximum sentence.

In the context of second-degree “felony” the maximum sentence is 40 years in prison, and a convict without priors could expect to be sentenced to 10.5 years.

In the context of 3rd-degree “reckless” murder, the maximum sentence is 25 years, and a convict without priors could expect to be sentenced to 10.5 years.

In the context of 2nd-degree “reckless” manslaughter, the maximum sentence is 10 years, and a convict without priors could expect to be sentenced to 4 years and/or a fine of up to $20,000.

Normally those sentences would be ordered to run concurrently, in parallel with each other, not consecutively, so that Chauvin as a convict without priors would expect to be sentenced to 10.5 years in prison, and to be eligible for early release in some substantial fraction of that time.

The state’s pursuit of a Blakely upward departure in sentencing, however, means that if Judge Cahill agrees with the factual Blakely claims by the state, he will be free to sentence Chauvin to substantially more time than the 10.5 years the guidelines would otherwise suggest.

The state’s October motion cites several specific Blakely factors in its argument for an upward sentencing departure—we should assume that the same factors, and additional factors, will be made in the state’s Blakely motion submitted to Judge Cahill in the coming week.

First, that George Floyd was “particularly vulnerable” when he was killed by Chauvin. This is based on the facts that Floyd’s arms were handcuffed behind his back, that Chauvin pressed him into the street, and that Floyd was rendered unconscious.

Second, that Derek Chauvin’s conduct qualifies as an abuse of his position of authority, committed while a police officer and in full uniform at the time of the offense.

While those were the only Blakely factors mentioned in the October 2020 motion I’ve mentioned, there are additional Blakely factors applicable to the facts of this case, and we should expect those to be argued in this week’s Blakely motion by the state.

These additional Blakely factors include argument that Floyd was treated with particular cruelty, that Chauvin committed his crimes as part of a group of three or more persons, and that Chauvin committed his crime in the presence of, and witnessed by, multiple children.

Because consideration of these Blakely factors involve making findings of fact—for example, were there actually present persons under the age of 18?—the defendant has a US Constitutional right to have a jury determine if Blakley factors have been proven, as discussed above.

Alternatively, a defendant can waive this right to a jury finding on Blakely factors, and instead have the sentencing judge do the fact finding on these factors. This is akin to a defendant waiving their right to a jury trial entirely and electing to instead have a bench trial in which the judge plays the role of finder of fact in place of the jury playing that role.

In this case, prior to the verdicts being announced Chauvin had informed the court that he chose to waive his right to jury fact finding on Blakely factors, and would defer to the court on that.

This was probably prudent—the Blakely factors are only relevant if the jury has returned a guilty verdict, and a jury that has just returned a guilty verdict seems unlikely to be favorably disposed in the next moment to being lenient on Blakely factors.

Had this Blakely fact-finding been left to the jury, however, the jury would have been provided with an additional fact-finding form, in addition to the jury verdict forms for each criminal count, on which the various factual claims of Blakely factors are listed and the jury is asked to indicated if each Blakely claim has been proven.

More at link.

Posts: 12684 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Aaand here comes the microscope up the sphincter:
Attorney General Merrick Garland announces probe of Minneapolis Police Department after Chauvin conviction

Get ready for a consent decree MPD.

If half the force quit, and Minneapolis descended into chaos like what Chicago is, people will eventually understand what is going on. Or do not quit, just have a hands off policing policy, collect your paycheck and let the city burn.

You think Chicago is bad now? Just wait...

We (CPD) had a shooting where a 13 yo gangbanger was killed at 2:30am, after the 13 yo was shooting at cars.

There's excellent video of the shooting. As you can probably guess, that video has been edited, twisted and perverted by the local media. Cropped to make the Cop look like the bad guy.

Our bug-eyed twat of a mayor now wants to put further restrictions on the Police. She wants officers to ask for permission from supervisors TO GET INTO A FOOT CHASE.
"Hey Sarge, can I catch a bad guy?"

This is what my job has come to.

FlashLB, we don't have to "quit" or "do nothing". Watch what happens when we (law enforcement) do the bare minimum.
"Here's your report."
"But the bad guy is RIGHT THERE!"
"Sorry, I can't chase him, and I'll be damned if I'm going to fight him when he resists, because I don't want to get sued, loose my job, my house, my savings, my kids college fund..."
This is going to become the reality of policing in a lot of liberal Utopias!

This trial was held, verdict came in... Whatever your feelings about the verdict... It did nothing but enable "The Mob" and the mob mentality. Unfortunately it's been happening way too long in far too many places in this country.
After all, what's the problem with tossing something at the loudest asshole just to shut them up. Well now, there's a mob of them at the door. A bunch of dangerous petulant children with crow bars, Molotov cocktails and guns... And you better give them what they want.

Look at those big, bad, racist police beating those innocent protesters! They're just exercising their 1st Amendment right, but don't pay attention to all the broken windows, burnt buildings and stolen stuff. As a matter of fact, let's go after those big, bad, racist police for being brutal. Oh, pay no attention to the loud mouth over there saying "put on more pressure" and enticing the mob, they're elected officials.

All the talk about defunding police departments, there's no need. It's happening in the long run. Officers are retiring and quitting in huge numbers in a lot of these "Liberal Utopias". Look at the numbers of people that are singing up to get on the job. No one in their right mind wants to be the police today.

This country is in for one hell of a shit-storm in the next few years.
Oh, some of you think you're safe because you lived in a conservative/ republican state... And don't worry about me in 2-5 years when I run out of here like my ass was on fire. Hell, I and the family vote republican, are conservative, believe in the rule of law, and really like guns (the wife was a little late to the game, but never really complained when I spent $1000 on ammo).

Every Chicago copper has to try to transfer into 008,016 or 022. Anywhere else and you are either working in a place where they hate you or they hate you and are trying to kill you. Protect the home front.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Every Chicago copper has to try to transfer into 008,016 or 022.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Can you explain??

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Every Chicago copper has to try to transfer into 008,016 or 022.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Can you explain??

Police districts of Chicago.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a Chicago native. What neighborhoods are we talking about?

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://home.chicagopolice.org...group/community-map/

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just name the neighborhoods. That map is gonna take some serious time. Thanks

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Or do not quit, just have a hands off policing policy, collect your paycheck and let the city burn.

Not quitting and not doing your job is unacceptable on many levels. By doing this, they would show the world they had no morals, no ethics, no character, no honor.

Either take the pay and benefits and do the job or quit.

Those are the only 2 acceptable ways to go. And yes, I understand how hard it would be to quit and change careers as I did it once in my life because I wouldn't go along with what the company I worked for was doing.

Your view is skewed. You ignore that in these democratic cities they don’t want you to do anything. They want you to collect your paycheck and not interject yourself into anything criminal unless absolutely necessary, and even then they aren’t going to back you if it looks bad. Or they want you to fix whatever the constituents of whatever politician are complaining to your chief about. But don’t hurt anyone’s feelings, or you’ll be in trouble.

The district attorneys refuse to prosecute many felony crimes. Not just a theory, they straight up publicly explain that they are not going to prosecute felony drug offenses, etc. Violent criminals, when arrested, are immediately released. Murder suspects. I’m not making this up. In all major cities there are murder suspects who have been charged with the actual murder, shooting and killing people, with massive arrest histories, who are running around free, no bail, no GPS monitoring, nothing. And when they are convicted they usually get minimum time or even probation.

But when a guy dies for something the state can’t even decide on, and they put it on a police officer, the Officer faces 14 prosecutors and is looking at 40+ years.

Right.

I’m all for doing police work. I love it and that’s why I became a cop. But I’d like to make it to retirement without being indicted. I’ve had friends indicted and tried due to this movement. It’s not a theory. I’m on the very front lines still, supervising a bunch of rookie officers in the busiest division with the highest homicide rate in one of the largest cities in the nation. This whole situation is not just a mental exercise in my living room.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just name the neighborhoods. That map is gonna take some serious time. Thanks
I'm not FROM Chicago, so it would take me just as long. Razz

Looks like West side, Southwest, and Northwest.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

008 is the southwest side. 022 is even further south but a little more east than 008. 016 is the far northwest side. All three areas are comprised mainly of cops, firemen, teachers etc. 016 actually has had a Republican Alderman for years now. It is the only area of the City with a Republican alderman. As far as I'm concerned these three areas are the only areas in the City a normal person would live unless they are rich and can afford a high rise condo on the lakefront.
016 is Jefferson Park, Norwood Park, 008 is Chicago Lawn which is Midway Airport area, Clearing, Garfield Park and 022 is the Morgan Park and Mount Greenwood areas. Beverly is also included in that.

Edited to add. Here's an example of why I say what I said about where a cop or normal should live. The Mount Greenwood areas has had a problem with gangs from areas further east of them driving through Mt. Greenwood (022) to get to a cemetery to bury their gangster friends who were killed in gangster shootouts. They would act the fool and try to destroy the neighborhood. The usual BS of shooting guns, loud noise, erratic driving, the usual BS. One day they tried their BS but picked the wrong guy to fuck with. Dude pulled a gun on this guy who then pulled his own gun and shot and killed dude. There was the usual uproar but I believe the area has not experienced any more trouble since then. The guy victim who originally had the gun pulled on him and ended dudes career of making life miserable for normal people that reside there was an off duty CPD Sgt.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was born at Garfield Park Hospital and grew up in Cicero. Yeah I could not afford a lakefront high rise. Working class neighborhood not far from Cermak. Thanks for the info.