SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Derek Chauvin Trial
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Derek Chauvin Trial Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Eric Nelson appears to have done a great job defending Derek. However in the closing arguments Eric looks so tired, and at times his speech is mumbled. Definitely unfair for one attorney to defend Derek, and for the prosecution hit squad to have 9 members.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly the odds are stacked against the defense unless they have lots of money.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do think that any prison sentence that exposes Mr. Chauvin to any general population will be a death sentence.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Cops are never put in the general population unless they ask for it.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I think the jurors should have witnessed the trial sealed in a room somewhere without a camera. Their identities should be protected at all costs. It would probably have been best if they had been selected from different small towns around the United States and participated by Skype in widely separated locations.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
The worst part is this could be me or any other officer any night.

I’m 15 years into a 30 year career, and wonder every night if it’ll be “the night”.

I have no faith in the jury. I’ve kept up with the entire trial, and it’s unbelievable that this was even prosecuted to begin with, except for the mob rule. Maybe a hung jury. Maybe a new trial after appeal. But I don’t imagine the jury willing to acquit just to put their own lives in jeopardy.

And remember, the rest of the officers are still to go. Two of them were so new they really had no clue what they were doing. I’ve got food under the seat in my patrol car that’s got more time on than they did. That they were charged is absolutely ludicrous.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
As I have said from the start, this case has reasonable doubt all over it. We'll see if the jury is swayed by public opinion or does its duty. It ought to at least hang, if not acquit.

You are spot on. I am thoroughly disgusted with the number of politically motivated prosecutions I have seen in recent years. Prosecutors throughout my career have always told me they could not ethically file the charge if they did not believe they have sufficient evidence to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. Obviously those ethics have become "flexible".

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Folks, we only need ONE juror to follow their conscience. Just one. The defense completely shredded the prosecution’s case in the closing arguments. The elements for murder and manslaughter were not met. EMS was called before GF ever stopped breathing. Chauvin will be found not guilty IMO, and cities will burn. This is exactly what the democRATS wanted to happen. This is why the NG is still in DC and pouring into major cities, fences are still up, plywood secondary walls surround the White House, and why scum are fanning the flames. This is all according to plan. They want a bloodbath at the hands of “violent white supremacist extremists” that dare to defend themselves and their property. The next several weeks will be a nightmare for law abiding citizens.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I just removed four posts regarding Maxine Waters, after I said that's enough on Maxine Waters.

There's not going to be even one more post in this thread on that fucking idiot. I suggest you guys cooperate with me on this, since I've been itching to close this thread. Some of you guys are just going to ignore me on this? Then, the thread will get locked and there will be no more discussion of ths subject in this forum.

Posts: 107608 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chauvin will be found not guilty IMO, and cities will burn. This is exactly what the democRATS wanted to happen.

Yep.
And why do they really want to de-fund and destroy police departments?
Because the police are local power. They want to nationalize the use of force.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I think the jurors should have witnessed the trial sealed in a room somewhere without a camera. Their identities should be protected at all costs. It would probably have been best if they had been selected from different small towns around the United States and participated by Skype in widely separated locations.

flashguy

Yes, but being in the same room as witnesses is important. Think of all the non-verbal cues we pick up on all the time which would be lost in a video presentation.

There could be other ways to hide the identities of the jurors. However, all of those would probably be blown with leaks or probing from the outside.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I Couldn’t agree more. And these folks could have easily taken the easy way out and stated to
the selection panel “I don’t think I could deliberate in a fair, unbiased manner” if they weren’t ready for being in the eye of the storm. Being anonymous could also go the other way as well.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888: Think of all the non-verbal cues we pick up on all the time which would be lost in a video presentation.

This is an important part of the accused's right to cross-examination of those testifying against him. Without it, the jury can't properly assess the credibility of the witnesses.

Any word as to whether or not the prosecution and/or defense utilized a jury consultant before or during the selection process?

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I noticed during court tv playing the prosecution rebuttal, there appeared to be background musak style elevator music. I suspect the prosecution played mood setting music during the speech. Does that really happen?

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It appears to me that the Left/MSM/Democrats WANT A MISTRIAL here so the shit can REALLY hit the fan.

I honestly do believe the Democrats want a race war. Mad

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Prosecutors used a jury consultant extensively. I think she was a volunteer

https://www.tampabay.com/news/...-derek-chauvin-case/

The prosecution team has 13 lawyers, said John Stiles, Ellison’s spokesman, and a 14th acted as a jury consultant.

Ellison, Frank and Eldridge are the only ones who work in the attorney general’s office. The team also includes Assistant Hennepin County Attorney Joshua Larson and nine outside attorneys. Stiles said the outside attorneys are all working pro bono, or without pay.

The roster behind the scenes is deep. Perhaps the best-known player is Neal Katyal, former U.S. acting solicitor general who has argued dozens of cases before the U.S. Supreme Court. Katyal led a successful effort to get a third-degree murder charge reinstated against Chauvin after the judge initially ruled it didn’t fit the circumstances.

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

The prosecution team has 13 lawyers, said John Stiles, Ellison’s spokesman, and a 14th acted as a jury consultant.

Ellison, Frank and Eldridge are the only ones who work in the attorney general’s office. The team also includes Assistant Hennepin County Attorney Joshua Larson and nine outside attorneys. Stiles said the outside attorneys are all working pro bono, or without pay.

The roster behind the scenes is deep. Perhaps the best-known player is Neal Katyal, former U.S. acting solicitor general who has argued dozens of cases before the U.S. Supreme Court. Katyal led a successful effort to get a third-degree murder charge reinstated against Chauvin after the judge initially ruled it didn’t fit the circumstances.

14 lawyers funded by taxpayers to convict one LEO. No agenda there.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stiles said the outside attorneys are all working pro bono, or without pay.

Although I agree... that's a lot of firepower.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Stiles said the outside attorneys are all working pro bono, or without pay.

Although I agree... that's a lot of firepower.

They might not be overtly compensated for their efforts, but I bet there are many avenues ..

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

14 lawyers funded by taxpayers to convict one LEO. No agenda there.
Yeh, but think of how satisfying it will be when 'all' of them fail and Chauvin is released. Personally I can't wait. Get out the hotdogs for use with the coming bonfires across the city.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They might not be overtly compensated for their efforts, but I bet there are many avenues .

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lots of compensation. Contacts, exposure, and learning. Beats the other methods of getting ahead.