SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection.
Page 1 ... 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 ... 365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection. Login/Join 
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
All I've got in the fridge right now are IPA's, they just don't play well with sticks, and it's too early for bourbon. (insert joke somewhere)

French pressed a Guatamalin coffee - firing up now, will let you know soon!

I thought you were just looking for booze... If not, I would recommend what you're doing (a black coffee with a sweetness/spiciness to it). The maduro's sweetness will pair well with a non-acidic coffee.

‎"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me."
-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Behind the cheddar curtain. | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post

the chocolate notes are really enhanced with French pressed Ethiopian coffee -

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Ronin, I think coffee is the perfect pairing. That stick is dark!

Edited to add: coffee also pairs well with those Monte #2's.

Posts: 12922 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should have got a Starr Hill Lil Red Roostarr to go with that stick. Coffee milk stout that is a really good beer.

After working on the porch...again! and needing to go for more gutter...and finding out I need more stuff to finish it, I am smoking a Man O War Ruination. The only stick I had today so far. Maybe another tonight, but not sure.

I hope everyone enjoyed their Labor Day and didn't have to do work around their house like I did.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Any recommendations on a travel hummidor.

I need it 8"x4"x2" rough dimensions. I don't want a sleeve prefer hinged case. I need it to hold max 5 sticks.

I need it realatively small and thin so it can fit in a lap top bag when I don't check a piece of luggage.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
Any recommendations on a travel hummidor.

I need it 8"x4"x2" rough dimensions. I don't want a sleeve prefer hinged case. I need it to hold max 5 sticks.

I need it realatively small and thin so it can fit in a lap top bag when I don't check a piece of luggage.

Gator, would the 5 count herf-a-dor work? It's roughly the dimensions you listed. I have a 5 count, 10 count, and two 15 count herf-a-dors and I've never had a problem with them. Throw a Boveda 69% pack in and forget them..

herf-a-dor

One of the pelican cases might work too, but you'd have to find some foam to put in it..

-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Behind the cheddar curtain. | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I just found that xikar has one similar that fits the bill.

How does the foam do keeping cigars at proper RH?

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple of bad experiences with mold developing on the foam.. If it was in a traveldor and potentially in a hot car, sealed from air/moisture leaking out, and other varying conditions I wouldn't trust them. I would highly recommend this. Something that can release and absorb moisture.

BTW, I lied.. When I looked at the xikar case, I realized that my 5 and one of my 15 count traveldors are Xikar. Both the Xikar and Herf-a-dor are good. I don't think you can go wrong with with either.

-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

posted Hide Post
I have never used humidification devices in My Herf-A-Dor. When I bought it, the staff at CI said that if it never fully dries, mold will become an issue. The Xikar, Herf-A-Dor, Black Ops, and the like are all very similar if not the same with different badges. The only issue I have with mine is that sometimes the latches come off. Not while closed but while opening them. There is a dovetail that they slide into but nothing to hold them there. It doesn't happen often, but be prepared for when it does. If you do humidify, be sure to leave it open to dry out.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
I have never used humidification devices in My Herf-A-Dor. When I bought it, the staff at CI said that if it never fully dries, mold will become an issue. The Xikar, Herf-A-Dor, Black Ops, and the like are all very similar if not the same with different badges. The only issue I have with mine is that sometimes the latches come off. Not while closed but while opening them. There is a dovetail that they slide into but nothing to hold them there. It doesn't happen often, but be prepared for when it does. If you do humidify, be sure to leave it open to dry out.

Good point, Petr.. I always store mine open or cracked to let them breath. If I'm only using mine for a couple of hours up to a day or two, I don't use any humidification (theres enough in the cigars if moisture can't leak out).. If i'm traveling with mine, or they'll be in it for longer than a couple of days I throw a packet in.

-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
So if it is completely dried out over four or five days wouldn't it pull the moisture out of the cigars?

I have a cedar lined one that I throw a small boveda in and it does great. It has a fake leather outside that after 10 years has started to flake off.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

posted Hide Post
Yes, it will draw moisture out of the cigars. For that amount of time I would use a Bovida pack or the jelly tube and after returning home, open it up and let it dry thoroughly.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I cannot speak high enough about Armored Humidors. They have a release valve to keep pressure from building up (great for air travel) and with a bovida pack I've never had any mold issues.

Gator - Check out the Sport:
http://armoredhumidor.com/inde.../familyid/3#family_3

I've got 3 of them - outstanding investment.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
So if it is completely dried out over four or five days wouldn't it pull the moisture out of the cigars?

I have a cedar lined one that I throw a small boveda in and it does great. It has a fake leather outside that after 10 years has started to flake off.

I'm pretty sure 4 or 5 days would affect your gars.. I throw a couple of thin pieces of cedar (from between layers in a full box) in the traveldor to add something while they rest.

-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I cannot speak high enough about Armored Humidors. They have a release valve to keep pressure from building up (great for air travel) and with a bovida pack I've never had any mold issues.

Gator - Check out the Sport:
http://armoredhumidor.com/inde.../familyid/3#family_3

I've got 3 of them - outstanding investment.

These look like Pelican cases that they add really good trays to. A little more expensive, but well built for sure!

-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Monte 2 and Macallan 18 -
Hello week, bring it on!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous!

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoy it! The week too!!

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Yes enjoy the week this will be my view as I enjoy a warped El Oso

Ps Ronin tatuaje TAA 2015 are shipping I will get a box a split if you are interested. If you are getting your own don't worry I will find someone to split it with me. Wink

Chi Chi, get the yayo