SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    And the award for the ugliest car ever made goes to...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

And the award for the ugliest car ever made goes to... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I would say a good portion of the cars in the 70's but in particular, the '75 to '77 Chevy Vega.

Posts: 6934 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I would say a good portion of the cars in the 70's but in particular, the '75 to '77 Chevy Vega.
Don't hate on the Vega pal. Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Aztek.
^^^Yep. Proof that the design team at GM was indeed doing lines of cocaine on their desks when designing this thing. Of course the AMC Gremlin and Pacer give the Aztec a run for its money.

By GM standards the Asstek was a success. It was done on time, on budget and used mostly existing parts. The fact that it was uglier than a wheelbarrow full of assholes never occurred to them.

And that, friends, is what happens when you let the financial guys run a business.

Posts: 690 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Prius

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11794 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Of American cars, the Astek has been my overall personal first choice, followed closely by the Cube.

Euro and Asian cars are on a whole 'nuther level of ugly.

Posts: 2836 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Did y'all forget the AMC Matador? Just wondering.
I didn't. As soon as I first saw that car on the 007 film Live and Let Die it became my personal choice of all time, #1 ugliest automobile in modern times.

Posts: 7282 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post

There to so many ugly vehicles out there, but when the subject comes up, the AMC Matador always pops up first in my head.

I still can't believe there were many thousands of people who lusted after this vehicle enough to purchase one - new or used.

Retired Texas Lawman

Posts: 1197 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The SsangYong Rodius 2005MY is also a candidate...

Posts: 48 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Aztek

Posts: 13828 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AITG:

The fact that it was uglier than a wheelbarrow full of assholes never occurred to them.

HAH! That has been added to my lexicon. Thanks!

AMC built some spectacularly ugly cars, but they also built a couple of real sleepers. The Javelin and AMX come to mind, as well as the Rebel.

For an original entry, how about the Studebaker Lark? In fact, pretty much any Studebaker IMHO. The Henry J should be on the list too.

Possibly controversial entry: The Avanti.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15305 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Citroen 2 CV - or Deux Chevaux as it is called in France.

Always thought this was the ugliest ever.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/...15-08-29_3174_b).jpg

Posts: 117 | Registered: January 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I used to think the Aztek was butt-ugly. I had a day off work, and I dropped by the Pontiac dealership to actually look at one close-up. The salesman came over and asked if I had any questions (no doubt considering me a potential buyer). I said "I just wanted to see if this thing was as ugly up close as it was from a distance." He hesitated only a moment, and then did a really good sales spiel. I was actually impressed with the vehicle's utility. It could fold the seats in back all the way flat, IIRC the center console doubled as a powered cooler, which could then be removed and taken to a beach/picnic/etc. I came away thinking it was still ugly, but that it was actually a pretty neat vehicle.

I still see them around, and still consider them ugly, but I could also have seen myself driving one.

As for the Matador, I wanted one of those ever since watching Christopher Lee and Herve Villachez fly theirs away from James Bond in "The Man With the Golden Gun.". .

Personally, I think the ugliest cars used to be the most beautiful. Consider the C2 Corvette; my all-time favorite Corvette design (1963-1967). Now, imagine the worst possible thing one could do to such a sleek, elegant design - turning it into a station wagon. I have seen several such chopped Vettes - versions such as pick-ups, station wagons, limos, etc. They ALL were hidious creations, moreso because of what they used to be.

Here, some demented soul took a 1967 Vette and turned it into an abomination:

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21857 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rucker:
Citroen 2 CV - or Deux Chevaux as it is called in France.

Always thought this was the ugliest ever.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/...15-08-29_3174_b).jpg

You beat me to it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9078 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I thought the Aztec was cool looking, although a big pile of trash mechanically

I'll nominate the early 90's Transport

Posts: 5370 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Isetta

I think it’s kind of cute. Certainly novel with the front door.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9078 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Isetta

I think it’s kind of cute. Certainly novel with the front door.

Remember too that is has a roll-back soft top!! AND the engine assembly was built by none other than BMW, in fact, it was sold as the BMW Isetta. Heinkel made on as well......

Posts: 11358 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7497 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Aztek. Followed by the Smart Car.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The Aztek may be the USA's contribution,

However there are some great entries from Japan...

Nissan Juke....

Nissan S-Cargo: like the name play though....

Posts: 23663 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe not the ugliest, but my 1980 Chevy Citation probably gets an honorable mention.

Posts: 3604 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post