SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 39
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I kept seeing references to "phone" in the test materials, which confused me, and it turns out that in ham radio terms, this is another name for voice communications- simply speaking over the radio, yes? Roll Eyes

Is there some actual way to make phone calls using certain radio frequencies and a keypad?

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
quote:
Except, I think he's got me set up on a menu item that will piss of the sad hams

If it's the "Roger Beep", you'll be amazed at how many people are not impressed. Smile

That would be the one, lol.
So much to learn. I don't have much going for me other than I like my yt instructor. Wink
Looking into a few books too.

Posts: 7482 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I kept seeing references to "phone" in the test materials, which confused me, and it turns out that in ham radio terms, this is another name for voice communications- simply speaking over the radio, yes? Roll Eyes

Is there some actual way to make phone calls using certain radio frequencies and a keypad?

Yes, and yes.

One can make phone calls through certain repeaters over your radio with a keypad. Of course, the conversation will be heard by God and everybody, but it can be done.

Posts: 20520 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
The Huntsville Hamfest would be a good place to go. It's not until Aug. but it's supposed to be a good one.

Huntville Hamfest link

Posts: 13046 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Orlando Hamfest (Hamcation) is this weekend. Second largest hamfest, only compared to Dayton (Hamvention) in May.

Lawrenceville has a great hamfest first weekend in November.

Posts: 282 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p113565:
Orlando Hamfest (Hamcation) is this weekend. Second largest hamfest, only compared to Dayton (Hamvention) in May.

Lawrenceville has a great hamfest first weekend in November.

Orlando should be great

Posts: 13046 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Georgia has one on the 24th of February in Dalton and Forsyth on the 11th of May.

Posts: 3745 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
So I have my radio (TD-H8 2nd Gen Ham) and I've successfully "unlocked" it. I also used the Odmaster phone app to store all 7 NOAA channels, 22 GMRS simplex channels, and 8 GMRS repeater channels. I even figured out how to limit my transmitting power as appropriate on the GMRS channels.

I haven't deep dived to see if I can disable transmitting (for example, on the NOAA channels) and I was wondering...I have a list of freqs for local 1st responders (LEO/fire/etc). Is there a way to listen to those? I noticed they all have a list of tones, but I assumed that is for transmitting?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16225 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How many picofarads in a gigasnarp? Roll Eyes

IT'S GONNA BE ON THE TEST!

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
And you need to know the correct capitalization for a mygigglehurtz.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Interesting info:

Posts: 23171 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
How many picofarads in a gigasnarp? Roll Eyes

IT'S GONNA BE ON THE TEST!

“C”

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11185 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Studying and learning by reading test questions and answers is weird to me.

Posts: 3537 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I just got a message from Amazon that my radios have shipped and will be delivered tomorrow…my daughter lives less than three miles straight line from me…it’s better to have auxiliary lines of communication available than to need it and not have it…

Speaking of licenses…will I need one to fly my “military” attack drone from the YouTube add when bombing my Karen neighbor with “fart spray”? Wink Wink Wink

I want that dude’s shirt Cool

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Let's see- there's 12 gigasnarp's to a bushel...

posted Hide Post
He also has a video on setting the radio up and info on its settings and use Razz

https://youtu.be/0wCLbiHvsMg?si=xk9FBqN0CmmFYg3e

Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Let's see- there's 12 gigasnarp's to a bushel...

But how many Arshens? Confused

Jimmy Buffet

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
After days of looking, I bought these for $48. Comes with 3800 mAh batteries, the longer antennas, and a programming cable. I looked at better radios for just a little bit more, but then there’s another for just a little bit more, next thing you know you’re at a $600 Icom. That just ain’t happening.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Studying and learning by reading test questions and answers is weird to me.

I have been watching this guy. pretty straight forward. Once I finish with them I will a practice test and then see what I am lacking and review those.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3651 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Well it took a little less than 24 hours just got my email with my GMRS license.

Posts: 3745 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post