SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Big news today...Early Christmas!** First shift report pg 7**
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big news today...Early Christmas!** First shift report pg 7** Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
Any of you guys/gals that have been around for a while know I left my old agency in 2015 and started at a newer, much bigger one. It was a big leap, I left my dream gig for the great unknown, coming to a city where I didn't know anyone and starting in a division that was unlike anything I had ever worked. The move was primarily for my kids/family, after the ex moved them 250 miles from where we had lived. It brought me much closer, with better pay. And it was anything but easy.

In the almost 4 years at my new department I've been very active and worked my butt off. Right off the bat I was given big responsibilities on top of my normal job because of my unique background and certifications, and after earning my dues on the line I was able to get back into the type of policing I enjoyed-a drugs and guns unit.

It all paid off today. Been in a promotional process for the last 3 months, put in a lot of work prepping and testing and interviewing.

Got the phone call this afternoon--selected for promotion! Sergeant Chongosuerte!

It's frankly life-changing. Not just the money, but it's a completely different aspect of the job, one I've worked hard to prepare for. I've got a lot to learn, but I'm excited about this new journey!

The irony is I made sergeant here before any of my peers at my old agency have made it there. That's proof that switching was truly a great decision.

So...any advice on what I'm supposed to do now? Eek Confused Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chongosuerte,

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Well earned!

Posts: 3147 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Congrats, sir! Go forth and be a good leader - that's all you have to do.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas Chongo!

Posts: 4019 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Hey congrats!! Hard work and dedication certainly pays off.

I took a leap of faith 2.5 years ago and, in my case too, it was life changing.

Best of luck in your new role.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Advice? Go back to taking names and kicking ass like you're good at, maybe.

Congratulations!

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats Sgt.

Feels good. Our son put on his stripes awhile back.

Remember where you came from.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Sergeant!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Smell the roses for a bit and then keep doing what you do. Congratulations on your promotion. I admire your nerve in jumping feet first into something new and making it payoff. Well Done!

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Sergeant Chongosuerte!!

I'm guessing you just need to keep doing what you have been doing!! Thanks for your work//service!!

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Chief Chongo.... has a nice ring to it!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Hey, that is excellent!
Congratulations, Sergeant.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
!!!!!CHONGO!!!!!!
CONGRATS Brother! It's a big step and You deserve it.
Never forget where you came from.

Years ago, one of the better Sgts I worked for had a piece of paper on his desk. It had 2 columns of names. I recognized a lot of the names on that list. I asked him about it... He told me something that stuck with me almost 20 years later.

One column was the bosses he admired. The good bosses, the guys that you would go thru the gates of hell for.
The other was "those" bosses... The ones that are dumber than a box of rocks, can't seem to get out of their own way, and always seem to live off the work of others.

My boss told me that every day, he tries to do something that the great bosses did, look out for his people, take care of the troops, protect them from the shit that flows down hill.
He also said that he remembers the shit that the bad bosses did, and that he'd never do it again.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Congratz chongo.........I think.......this is coming from me having been a sergeant for 15 years.....ahh the headaches you will now get from all sides. Wink

Advice:
1. Train your troops; do in-service brief stuff if in patrol covering and reinforcing the basics.
2. Think about the characteristics/actions of both the good and bad supervisors you have had and determine what you want to emulate. A lot of times, you can learn more on how not to do things from the bad supervisors.
3. A couple good books to read are:
Leadeship and Training For The Fight by Paul Howe and The Tactical Trainer by Paul Howe. Howe is a former Delta soldier and an excellent trainer (I have been through a couple of his courses).

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Sarge! Cool

Q

Posts: 26385 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Congrats! What to do now? Go be the Sgt you always wanted to be, and the one you always wished you could work for.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
You bet...congratulations!!

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
So...any advice on what I'm supposed to do now?

Go make the world a better place. I've read your posts, you've done this for a long time.

Congratulations for taking a chance and working hard. Stay safe and be happy.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post