SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Big news today...Early Christmas!** First shift report pg 7**
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big news today...Early Christmas!** First shift report pg 7** Login/Join 
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.

Posts: 1970 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Go forth and lead.

When in doubt, ask yourself "What would Sipowicz do?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31388 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Sergeant! Terrific!!!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your promotion Smile

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2515 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Any of you guys/gals that have been around for a while know I left my old agency in 2015 and started at a newer, much bigger one. It was a big leap, I left my dream gig for the great unknown, coming to a city where I didn't know anyone and starting in a division that was unlike anything I had ever worked. The move was primarily for my kids/family, after the ex moved them 250 miles from where we had lived. It brought me much closer, with better pay. And it was anything but easy.

In the almost 4 years at my new department I've been very active and worked my butt off. Right off the bat I was given big responsibilities on top of my normal job because of my unique background and certifications, and after earning my dues on the line I was able to get back into the type of policing I enjoyed-a drugs and guns unit.

It all paid off today. Been in a promotional process for the last 3 months, put in a lot of work prepping and testing and interviewing.

Got the phone call this afternoon--selected for promotion! Sergeant Chongosuerte!

It's frankly life-changing. Not just the money, but it's a completely different aspect of the job, one I've worked hard to prepare for. I've got a lot to learn, but I'm excited about this new journey!

The irony is I made sergeant here before any of my peers at my old agency have made it there. That's proof that switching was truly a great decision.

So...any advice on what I'm supposed to do now? Eek Confused Big Grin

Set the example-lead from the front

Keep your team Focused on the mission

Always be fair and genuinely care about your people

Never forget that leadership is about your people, not about you.

The job of sergeant where the rubber meets the road in a police department is the most important of all ranks

Congratulations!

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4371 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
So...any advice on what I'm supposed to do now? Eek Confused Big Grin

I’ll give you the advice often given to me in the military after an promotion or qualification.

“Good luck, now don’t fuck it up!”

Humor aside, a hearty congratulations - I have seen you labor over the years after the big D and all the struggles that entails coupled with the change of jobs. Happy to see if all start paying dividends for you. Keep it up!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Sarge! Best damn job in pretty much every department in America.

Not much to add to advice except to try to be a good 'gate valve" for your guys. Unnecessary crap shouldn't flow down from above you to your officers, or percolate up to command staff from your squad. The first frees your guys to be good, effective cops. The second will not go unnoticed and will help TPTB give you the "slack" you and your squad want/need.

Posts: 2521 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Excellent news. Continue doing what you have been and don't forget where you came from. Sometimes people forget what it's like to do the menial leg work and piss on those beneath them. Go forth and conquer with your bad self!

Posts: 2859 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Congrats brother. Always give credit where credit is due.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1864 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you Sargent!

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7674 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 5749 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
High five dude! BTW, where do I contact you about getting out of tickets? Big Grin

Posts: 13830 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
He's not a sir, he works for a living. Big Grin
Congratulations, Chongo! Well-deserved.

Posts: 3862 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Sargent,

Great news. It is hard to believe it has been four years since you came to the Queen City.

Advice: Leading and Managing are not the same skillset. You will need both daily. The best advice I can give is to make sure your team knows you love them. If they know that, when you have to deliver the crappy news that comes with middle management, they will know that you did everything you could to help mitigate the crap. No one gets into police work for the money, they do it for the love of service. Make sure you communicate that daily. It is a tough job and sometimes it is easy to get jaded when you are dealing with difficult people all the time. Don't be a Pollyanna, but make sure they remember why they go out every day.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SAC trained killer
Picture of Ricardokid11
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, and thank you for your service.

" May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am".

Posts: 2083 | Location: Glen Allen, VA. | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Congratulations

Keep doing what you do.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3901 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Great News, Congratulations!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2043 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Sarge!

(My agency doesn't have "Sergeants" specifically, having a non-military rank system, but my current position is equivalent to a Sergeant.)

As I'm sure you've recognized already, one of the biggest responsibilities is looking out for your subordinates, both by being an advocate for your team and a "shit umbrella" for crap that rolls from uphill, as well as by handling problems you discover before they become big enough to jam your guys up.

So always look for ways to stand up for and shield your guys, while also keeping an eye out for issues which you can help your guys correct and opportunities to dole out advice.

Posts: 33052 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Congrats..Those in the business know it is hard earned..Now go buy the troops some pizza to eat at briefing!

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1438 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post