SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Senate Group, Including 10 Republicans, Announce Breakthrough on Gun Control Deal
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Senate Group, Including 10 Republicans, Announce Breakthrough on Gun Control Deal Login/Join 
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the interest of discussion what changes in current gun laws would you consider?

None

Posts: 10761 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
The Republican party is terrible. Just on principle, gun control shouldn't be discussed after some mentally ill nut uses a gun to commit a tragedy....it's asinine, plays to the Democrat hysteria, and conflates two separate issues. The Democrats, who are truly struggling and fuck up everything they touch, should have been bullied into an actual bill that would help...maybe a bill that would harden schools and provide metal detectors? This is a 'do something' bill and will not help at all...it'll just deprive some young people of their Constitutional rights

Posts: 1976 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While were at it, lets make 21 the voting age. If you're too immature to own a gun at 18 then surely you can't be trusted to decide who your representatives will be.
Of course that won't happen, there's never an inch of compromise going the other direction.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3546 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
21 to vote.
21 for abortions.
21 to manage their own health care.
21 to enter into legally binding contracts or marry.
Make Mom & Dad legally responsible for care until 21. Want to attend college at 18? Better get parents to sign off, AND be responsible for payment. Oh, and no student loans. 19-year-olds aren't responsible enough to accrue debt.

Yeah, none of this will have traction, but it makes about as much sense as 21 for certain firearms.

Posts: 2473 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
I used this threat to convince the wife I need another AK before they are banned forever. Thanks gov't. Cool

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6986 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just on principle, gun control shouldn't be discussed after some mentally ill nut uses a gun to commit a tragedy....it's asinine, plays to the Democrat hysteria, and conflates two separate issues. The Democrats, who are truly struggling and fuck up everything they touch, should have been bullied into an actual bill that would help...maybe a bill that would harden schools and provide metal detectors? This is a 'do something' bill and will not help at all...

Yep. They will 'do something'.
When people like Mitt Romney 'do something' you know it will be ineffective at best. I think the 'big thing' .gov wants is a federal firearm registry.

Democrats and Republicans in the Senate have announced their agreement for new laws which will restrict gun ownership. The measures include a new federal firearm registry (known colloquially as “enhanced background checks”), and new laws for the federal government to define the standard of mental health that will allow gun ownership (known colloquially as “red flag laws”).

https://theconservativetreehou...easures/#more-234063

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24181 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What does this bill mean for states that do not and will not enact red flag laws??

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Anyone who could lose their guns under a red flag law needs to be locked up in a nuthouse. If you don't need to be locked up, then you should not be in danger of losing your guns.

Unless your ex is a vindictive bitch…for instance.

My ex went to my command and complained on the night I was shipping out to a new ship. Cops showed up and took my pistol “for safe keeping”. (I did get it back the next morning). But this type of shit happens all the time.

When I was a cop I saw it every weekend, woman called in and complained about her man hitting her, we’d go in front of the magistrate and the guy would get locked up until Monday when a judge was in…meantime she’s out partying on his dime. The magistrate just passed the buck because someone in the way back time had actually hit his woman and you know how that went.

We had a worker who had a falling out with his girlfriend. She called the cops and said he'd raped her. Cops come, lock him up, and he's stuck in jail.

She tried to recant, say it didn't really happen, and drop the charges. The city took over her case on her behalf and skewered the poor guy. A year in prison, and a lifetime of declaring himself as a sex offender and not being allowed within a certain distance of schools and churches in his future. As far as I know, nothing happened to her.

He's the nicest guy on the face of the earth, even if he's not the brightest. A real shame.

I have zero doubt red flag laws will be used like this. "I'm angry at you" will be the name of the game.

Someone mentioned the FL law being used 9000 times. How many were false alarms? What happens when things go the defendant's way? "Sorry we violated your constitutional rights" doesn't quite cut it. Even if the lives saved were (hypothetically) 1000, it means that the other 8000 times someone had multiple constitutional rights violated. That's not cool.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3355 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Red flag laws smack of Stalin's Russia.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stabbed in the back by Republicans Again?

Left wing...right wing...same bird fellas. Not one critter in .gov is our friend. You'd all do well to accept this.
Buy ammo.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
In the interest of discussion what changes in current gun laws would you consider?

Repeal the NFA and GCA.

Posts: 3666 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
None. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

quote:
Example Florida enacted Red Flag Laws that have been used 9000 times since the Parkland shootings.
Ah yes: Red Flag laws: Just like Civil Forfeiture laws: Let's just throw due process out the window because WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!!!

Good idea. Screw the Constitution. It's an old, archaic document, not suited for our modern times, anyway.

quote:
No way of proving it, but I'm willing to think that might have saved a life or two.
With all due respect: That's about as sorry a "justification" for a law that turns due process on its head as ever I've heard anywhere.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Anyone who could lose their guns under a red flag law needs to be locked up in a nuthouse. If you don't need to be locked up, then you should not be in danger of losing your guns.

Unless your ex is a vindictive bitch…for instance.

My ex went to my command and complained on the night I was shipping out to a new ship. Cops showed up and took my pistol “for safe keeping”. (I did get it back the next morning). But this type of shit happens all the time.

When I was a cop I saw it every weekend, woman called in and complained about her man hitting her, we’d go in front of the magistrate and the guy would get locked up until Monday when a judge was in…meantime she’s out partying on his dime. The magistrate just passed the buck because someone in the way back time had actually hit his woman and you know how that went.

While I feel it's a good idea for responsible people to be able to report dangerous or erratic behavior, the red flag laws are a very slippery slope. See above. There are just too many emboldened "Karens" running around these days. Neighbor lady doesn't like your lifted truck or the color you painted your house trim, says "I'll fix that SOB" and then she sits back with a smug look on her face as the cops show up to take your stuff. They need to put a lot of thought into such laws as the possibility of stomping on one's constitutional rights is very evident and could actually be counter productive since LE has been stretched thin by the "defund the cops" crowd and now must jump into action because someone is gaming the system.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They need to put a lot of thought into such laws as the possibility of stomping on one's constitutional rights is very evident and could actually be counter productive since LE has been stretched thin by the "defund the cops" crowd and now must jump into action because someone is gaming the system.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They used to have a similar system for mental commmitments. That stopped when the complainant had to sign an affidavit and put up five hundred bucks.

posted Hide Post
The basest of men.

Posts: 53 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
While I feel it's a good idea for responsible people to be able to report dangerous or erratic behavior, the red flag laws are a very slippery slope. See above. There are just too many emboldened "Karens" running around these days.

This.

By definition, the people who own guns are more emotionally balanced than the ones who want to take them away.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Stabbed in the back by Republicans Again?

Left wing...right wing...same bird fellas. Not one critter in .gov is our friend. You'd all do well to accept this.
Buy ammo.

IMHO, to some degree this is a planned political diversion launched by the uniparty to distract the masses from the complete and colossal clusker-f*ck of this illegitimate administration and if they can inflict another cut or two (of the 1,000’s already inflicted) into the nation’s foundational bedrock then it’s just extra icing on the cake for them.

Posts: 3496 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I disagree. We are not "getting ahead of ourselves", we are behind the power curve.
Not talking about the power curve Monkey, I'm just saying we don't know what's on deck to fight just yet (short of fighting all of it, which I'd support). Until this legislation is written, we don't really know how bad it will be.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
quote:

None
^Yep. Not one inch.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's look at the root cause of the problem and not the tool they choose to carry it out. I really do think that mental health is a big problem in this country that needs to be addressed.

We know that both parents and the grandmother of the Uvalde shooter had criminal records. The shooter was a high school dropout, a loner, and a violent videogame–player. His father was not present in his life. Almost certainly, he had no religion. His nickname was "school shooter." Four years ago, he was arrested for threatening to shoot up a school. He cut up his face with knives for fun. He held up bags of dead cats with a grin on his face that was captured on video. "He liked hurting animals," according to a relative of his grandmother. One classmate said he had a tendency to be "violent towards women" and was described by an ex-girlfriend as "scary." He was a pot-smoker, just as his mother and father were. His grandfather actually served time in prison for drug trafficking. His mother was about to be evicted due to her drug use.

The shooter had major issues, and it is clear he was immersed in a very unhealthy environment saturated with dysfunction and drugs.

https://www.americanthinker.co..._to_protect_you.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24181 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post