SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Senate Group, Including 10 Republicans, Announce Breakthrough on Gun Control Deal
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Senate Group, Including 10 Republicans, Announce Breakthrough on Gun Control Deal Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Well, I sent both my Senators (Cruz and Cornyn) messages that I wanted them to vote NO on any such legislation. I'm sure Sen. Cruz is OK, but Sen. Cornyn is very iffy right now. I told him his vote on such bills will definitely control how I vote in his next election run.

flashguy

Why?
You'll have a better chance of an effect from writing Santa or the tooth fairy. Do you actually still think any of those in power give a shit about anything but themselves and following their marching orders from above?

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Well, I sent both my Senators (Cruz and Cornyn) messages that I wanted them to vote NO on any such legislation. I'm sure Sen. Cruz is OK, but Sen. Cornyn is very iffy right now. I told him his vote on such bills will definitely control how I vote in his next election run.

flashguy
Why?
You'll have a better chance of an effect from writing Santa or the tooth fairy. Do you actually still think any of those in power give a shit about anything but themselves and following their marching orders from above?
BAZINGA!!!

FJC
FJC
FJC
Mad Mad

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
If they don't know I own it, how could they know who it was stolen from? Wink

Bingo.

They can know. I remember a murder that happened I think in Mexico that was over 25 years ago before Fast and Furious.

The article stated the FBI traced the gun to having been sold from Traders Gun Shop in Oakland, CA. I remember that because it was a store that regularly had great sales advertisements in the newspapers. They finally pushed that store out of Oakland and made it a shell of what it once was. At some point, newspapers stopped taking their ads.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19779 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Yes. Not what individuals think, but large numbers. The primary job of any politician is to get reelected. If enough people put pressure on them, they'll come around. Why do you think gun control has become such a hot issue? The political layer is feeling the heat from the massacres. Do you think they're NOT getting a lot of communication, a lot of which is media driven, telling them to crack down on guns? If that isn't over-counterbalanced they will.

quote:
quote:

flashguy

Why?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Yes. Not what individuals think, but large numbers. The primary job of any politician is to get reelected. If enough people put pressure on them, they'll come around. Why do you think gun control has become such a hot issue? The political layer is feeling the heat from the massacres. Do you think they're NOT getting a lot of communication, a lot of which is media driven, telling them to crack down on guns? If that isn't over-counterbalanced they will.

They are putting on a political dog and pony show to make it appear that there are two sides and that they are putting up some effort.
That's all.
Their motivation is to pacify us enough to not start 1776 2.0.
You think the ballots are actually counted in the elections?

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Their (talking about the politcritters) ONLY motivation is to get reelected. Whatever they do goes to this end. If they think voting for gun control will achieve this, they will. The reverse is also true. The trick is to convince them that gun control is radioactive. Right now the other side, with the media behind them, is trying to make it seem like supporting gun rights is radioactive. And right now the antis are winning the publicity war.

But if you think these people care a whit about ideology, you're wrong. All they care about is keeping the position, power, and money (the first two necessary to get the third.)

Do I think ballots are counted? Yes. If either side can get a significant win, they can't fake it. However if it very close, it may be a different story.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

They are putting on a political dog and pony show to make it appear that there are two sides and that they are putting up some effort.
That's all.
Their motivation is to pacify us enough to not start 1776 2.0.
You think the ballots are actually counted in the elections?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Well, I sent both my Senators (Cruz and Cornyn) messages ...

Why?
You'll have a better chance of an effect from writing Santa or the tooth fairy.
Do you actually still think any of those in power give a shit about anything but themselves and following their marching orders from above?

Not individually but collectively we need to make our voices known.
That attitude is the same as "why vote"....not really very smart. Eek

Posts: 23000 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
We need to engage normal citizens who are generally very uneducated on gun issues to inform them and help them come to better political positions.

This can be anywhere from uncomfortable to socially difficult, but small comments and bits of information can help. Most people out there have the same goals we do, which is safe streets and a free prosperous future. They believe the proposals in play will be helpful, and they believe the vilifications of gun rights is accurate.

I've been opening up discussions about mass public murders to the idea of restricting media coverage, specifically prohibiting naming the perp or showing their image (at least for a year or two), and limiting the number of reports per outlet to one per 24 hours. This is to take away the motivation almost all of these people have, which is to gain notoriety.

Posts: 9525 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Ok, raise the age to 21... but same with voting, and selective service.

If you aren't responsible enough to own a gun, you aren't responsible to vote, or be drafted.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
I mentioned that I was no longer going to be posting, but chose to break that as I thought this was worth it, for others who may be of similar beliefs.

I was wrong.

(Perhaps “I was an idiot” might be better, but I digress).

When I posted my “compromise”, I didn’t think through how such things only work in Mayberry, and not in the actual, real world environment we live in with GDCs who will stop at nothing to strip our rights, and trample everything we hold dear underfoot.

I won’t delete my posts, so that others can read the statements and rebuttals, but disavow them completely. Not one inch more, and I want it all back.

P220, Fly Sig, thanks for your thoughtful posts on this. Ryanp225, I apologized right after I posted but I don’t think you saw it (it was an edit). I apologize again for saying what I did, hopefully you will accept this.

And dammit, I love this country and all that it stands for. It really is the “city on the hill”.

Posts: 2328 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

If you aren't responsible enough to own a gun, you aren't responsible to vote, or be drafted.

Or have a permanent life altering sex change operation!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30538 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
We could solve a lot of these problems by simply outlawing politicians.

When you think about it, why do we need them? Every problem the claim to solve is one they likely created themselves.

Posts: 53329 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heads up Virginia.

NRA-Backed Candidate Refuses to Oppose Biden Gun Control

Kiggans, who is backed by the NRA and establishment leader Kevin McCarthy, refuses to say where she will stand on gun control in Congress

https://nationalfile.com/nra-b...e-biden-gun-control/

NRA-backed Congressional candidate Jen Kiggans is refusing to oppose Joe Biden’s gun control agenda just ahead of primary day in Virginia’s 2nd District, where she is running for the GOP nomination to Congress and saying that she’s “open to the debate” on gun control and confiscation.
Throughout her primary campaign, US House candidate Jen Kiggans has been hounded by her left-wing voting record in the Virginia State Senate, which includes support for Democrat legislation opening girls’ restrooms up to men. Now, as Democrats and the GOP establishment move to control and confiscate Americans’ firearms just ahead of the 2022 midterms, Kiggans is refusing to oppose their efforts, and signaling potential support for gun control legislation should she make it to Congress.

Video: Jen Kiggans Literally Runs From Pro-Trans Record in New Ad

https://nationalfile.com/video...-in-new-campaign-ad/

In a recent radio interview, Jen Kiggans refused to oppose the gun control agenda of Joe Biden, telling the host that she was “not saying a yes or no” when asked directly if she’d support a compromise on gun control with Democrats, which would include historic encroachments on the 2nd Amendment. In avoiding an answer on how she’d vote in Congress, Kiggans boasted that she’s been endorsed by the NRA, while ultimately going on to admit that, despite the NRA’s endorsement, she is “open to the debate” on gun control and confiscation.

The NRA has increasingly backed GOP establishment candidates, like Jen Kiggans, in primary races against America First opponents, despite their propensity for supporting anti-gun legislation once reaching office. National File reached out to both the NRA and Jen Kiggans for comment and clarification on their Biden gun control stances, but received no response. In addition to the NRA, Kiggans has been backed by Kevin McCarthy and several GOP establishment notables, including the 2nd District’s disgraced ex-Congressman Scott Taylor, who was embroiled in an election fraud scandal that saw his staff convicted in court.

Kiggans says that she will employ Taylor’s twice-defeated moderate playbook should she make it to a mid term race against incumbent Democrat and close Pelosi ally Elaine Luria, a staunch proponent of gun control.

In contrast to Jen Kiggans, who refuses to tell voters where she will stand on gun control, her primary opponent Jarome Bell has been outspoken in his support of the 2nd Amendment, blasting her receptiveness to the Biden gun control agenda in a recent interview of his own, with Teddy Daniels.

“My oath [to the Constitution] never expired,” Jarome Bell, a 27-year Navy veteran, said of his commitment to safeguarding the 2nd Amendment and further Constitutional rights of the American people.

“We’ve lost this country because of RINOs, because of these establishment people like the one I’m running against, Jen Kiggans, that will run as conservatives and people believe the lies that they tell and then they’ll get up there and they’ll vote as moderates, and they’ll vote as really Democrats,” Bell told Daniels, expressing zero confidence in Kiggans’ ability to protect the 2nd Amendment in Washington.

“Her voting record is a leftist Democrat voting record,” Jarome Bell went on to say of Jen Kiggans, who he referred to as “Luria Light,” comparing her record to that of the Democrat incumbent.

The people of the 2nd District “deserve a fighter,” Bell, who leads the GOP race in recent polling data, went on to say. “They deserve somebody who’s actually going to go to DC and is going to vote their principles and protect their values and is not going to sell them out to the highest bidder, to the K Steet lobbyists…That’s why I’m going to win.”

Posts: 12808 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's (D)ifferent.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17018 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
quote:
Well, I sent both my Senators (Cruz and Cornyn) messages ...

Why?
You'll have a better chance of an effect from writing Santa or the tooth fairy.
Do you actually still think any of those in power give a shit about anything but themselves and following their marching orders from above?

Not individually but collectively we need to make our voices known.
That attitude is the same as "why vote"....not really very smart. Eek
I also phone Cornyn's hot line and left a message that if he voted for that bill he has lost my vote. I may be only one, but maybe others will do the same.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^sent an email saying the same.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11342 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Heads up Virginia.

NRA-Backed Candidate Refuses to Oppose Biden Gun Control

Kiggans, ...

She needs to be shown the door and the bottom of the Vote-em Poll.

Let her get a job at the Waffle House.

She is hedging her bets, and the last person you need on the front lines is someone unwilling to be fully committed to the things her base has at heart, and only waiting the see which way the parade is going, then running out in front pretending to lead.

Rather than letting her become entrenched and being called a "maverick"...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44009 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Isn't there a better Republican candidate in the Primary? Vote for him.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
quote:

That's (D)ifferent.

Think about it before you flame...

Tie it to voting. First off, the 18 to 21 block votes for one side at a high majority (hint hint, guess which). Make 'em put their money where their mouth is. HOW strongly do they believe in "raising the age"?

They will fight that tooth and nail, cause it will cost them votes. Make is easier to swallow by eliminating the draft for 18 to 21 year olds. If they aren't responsible enough, according to the government, to buy a rifle (or pistol), or drink a beer, then they certainly aren't the ones we want making tough military decisions. (Under my proposal 18 to 21 year olds can still volunteer for service, which is how all of our armed forces get their members anyway currently, and the Military can take them or not depending on their screening criteria).

They left would NEVER support that, mostly not because they actually care about 18 year olds, but because it will cost them a very reliable voting block.

Call them to the carpet. How much do they REALLY care about it?

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Or have a permanent life altering sex change operation!

Well, in fairness, in the current climate, I support making women eligible for the draft too. Equal rights, equal fights. I'm a feminist and all.