SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    East Coast March Blizzard
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

East Coast March Blizzard Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
At noontime, I drove past the local gas and convenience store. The line of cars at the pumps gave me a 1973 era flashback. I suddenly found myself sitting again in my parents 1969 Chrysler New Yorker hoping for a few gallons before they turned off the pumps. I snapped out of it realizing that most likely by Thursday things will be back to normal.

Posts: 282 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Latest tracks have the storm pushing more west, so the totals for this area are slightly decreasing, now looking like 8-12 for most of the state.

I'm all done with this snow bullshit, have had my fill.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
......... Nothing like field exercises in January, temps below zero and 2 feet of snow.

I was talking to my older son last night and he joined the reserves after getting out of the Army. He is in PA this month and he told me that they'll be playing with Bradleys this week...Nothing like a tracked vehicle in the snow!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Our local forecast has gone from 6-10" to 4-8". We'll certainly be closed tomorrow, but I was kind of hoping for Wednesday as well, which is looking somewhat less likely if the storm keeps tracking the way it is.

Bummer.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were just put under a blizzard warning by the National Weather service. Snow fall expected to be between 18"-24" falling at a rate of 3 to 4" per hour at times.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

What about toilet paper? Milk, bread, eggs, yes, but when I lived in MD, the toilet paper shelves were also cleaned out ahead of any snowstorm. And it's not a bad idea to have beer and pop-tarts stocked up, too.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Just got the same notification.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

What about toilet paper? Milk, bread, eggs, yes, but when I lived in MD, the toilet paper shelves were also cleaned out ahead of any snowstorm. And it's not a bad idea to have beer and pop-tarts stocked up, too.

I went to my nearby Wegman's yesterday evening and it looked like Whoville after the Grinch.

No butter, except gourmet stuff.
No milk.
No sliced bread.
No ground beef.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Idiots. Like it's never snowed a foot or so before? Roll Eyes

I find some solace in the fact that if a real disaster ever hits (like North Korea sending us an EMP) the vast majority of people will be dead within a couple weeks due to unpreparedness, leaving much more for the rest of us.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Idiots. Like it's never snowed a foot or so before? Roll Eyes

I find some solace in the fact that if a real disaster ever hits (like North Korea sending us an EMP) the vast majority of people will be dead within a couple weeks due to unpreparedness, leaving much more for the rest of us.

No kidding. This winter out West we had a storm typical like this nearly every other week.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I went to my nearby Wegman's yesterday evening and it looked like Whoville after the Grinch.

No butter, except gourmet stuff.
No milk.
No sliced bread.
No ground beef.

Should have gone to El león de La Comida in the Park. Plenty of food to choose from.

As a side note, I wonder how much food is thrown away 5 days from now? No way anyone needs this much crap.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Grrrr! Don't forget the ass wipe. Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in Northeastern PA. Today I gave haircuts to two PA. Army National Guard soldiers. The governor here activated the guard. Just under 700 soldiers. They were told they will be transporting State Police in their HUMVEEs, and guarding the on-ramps of the interstate after it is closed....

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
anybody remember the "Storm of the Century"? Maybe you have forgotten because it didn't happen. Not a friggin flake. I would not be surprised....

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Yep. They shut the whole city down and we got nothing out of that storm.

A few weeks later they said a dusting and we ended up with 6-8" and wind, power was out everywhere.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Well, Oat already has off work tomorrow. Got the call at like 5:30 this afternoon. No skin off my back. Hell, call for Wednesday too for all I care.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ltbarber:
I'm in Northeastern PA. Today I gave haircuts to two PA. Army National Guard soldiers. The governor here activated the guard. Just under 700 soldiers. They were told they will be transporting State Police in their HUMVEEs, and guarding the on-ramps of the interstate after it is closed....

Oh for Pete's sake. How much is that costing the taxpayers of PA?

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ltbarber:

...They were told they will be transporting State Police in their HUMVEEs...

I'm sure the Troopers will miss their regular squads/SUV after a short ride in a HUMVEE. They'll get through the snow, but dang they're LOUD and uncomfortable.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Must be the calm before the storm. PorchCat came in for a bite then insisted on going back out. I'll check on him in the wee hours. Maybe.

Ehh, he's got a heated box out there. 1" R-Max, wind block, raised snow curb, sheltered corner cubby, and has spent far colder days outside. January 2015 comes to mind.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
We have snow/ice mix a little while ago outside DC in MD

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post