SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    East Coast March Blizzard
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

East Coast March Blizzard Login/Join 
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Up by the Poconos here.
Plenty of
Dog food
Cat food
People food
Firewood
Booze
Steaks
And 50+ gals fuel for the generator.

Bring on the snow!

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Seems like it keeps moving from the Monday-Tuesday timeframe and more Tuesday-Wednesday and 18 inches is looking more and more like a reality in the SEPA/Philly region. Frown

Posts: 33810 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the snowblower gassed up. I have food but need some booze. Looks like 2 days off for me.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Here, it was originally forecast to start about midnight or 1:00 am Tuesday morning; now, it's been pushed back a little to 5:00-6:00 am Tuesday morning.
They're saying 12"-16" for my town and 18"-24" a little north of me, so I guess we'll get a good amount.
The winds worry me the most - 30-40 mph sustained with gusts over 50 mph.

I have 3/4 of a tank of propane for the gas fireplace, so we'll have heat if the power goes out.
My wife is off Tuesdays, my girls both work in the same medical office (and they'll close) and I'll work from home (as long as we don't lose power) so I won't have to worry about their safety.

My 14 HP John Deere Snow Blower will clean up afterward with no problem; we've got plenty of both food and booze, so all in all, it won't be so bad.

I wonder if I'll end up working from home Wednesday, too?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are in the 18"-24" range. Tractor is ready, the walk behind is ready just in case. I hope it is a light fluffy snow as I want to see how a 48" cut gets rid of the snow!

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
The stores will be madhouses tomorrow - everyone will be stocking up on bread and milk.
I never understood that.

Do these people not keep any food in their houses?
Can't they manage to eat for two days without needing to go to the store?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I never worry about the snow, the high Nor'easter tides are a different story...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
The stores will be madhouses tomorrow - everyone will be stocking up on bread and milk.
I never understood that.

We go through a gallon of milk in 36 hours or less. Two adults, Pre-kindergarten daughter, Kindergartener son. I grabbed tomorrow afternoon's gallon today. We may run a tad short but I've got a shovel and a 4wd. Store's less than a mile. A non-issue (store sells diesel and dunkin donuts to plows- they'll be open).

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
quote:
I never understood that.

We go through a gallon of milk in 36 hours or less. Two adults, Pre-kindergarten daughter, Kindergartener son. I grabbed tomorrow afternoon's gallon today. We may run a tad short but I've got a shovel and a 4wd. Store's less than a mile. A non-issue (store sells diesel and dunkin donuts to plows- they'll be open).
OK, then you're there just about every day - you're part of the normal baseline. That doesn't explain the other hundred thousand that will be there.

Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Seems like it keeps moving from the Monday-Tuesday timeframe and more Tuesday-Wednesday and 18 inches is looking more and more like a reality in the SEPA/Philly region. Frown

No hype-----just your forecast:
http://epawaweather.com/daily-...-pa-forecast-region/

Summary:

A strong Nor’easter will likely affect the region from Monday evening through Tuesday afternoon, bringing heavy accumulations of snow along and NW of I-95, some mixing in between, and snow/sleet to rain to snow farther SE toward the coastlines of Delaware and New Jersey. This system is combining, or phasing energy from northern stream and southern stream energy, and models are aggressive with a full phase that will bring blizzard conditions to parts of the region late Monday night into Tuesday morning. Our 2nd call map below represents the current thinking, and slight adjustments/shifts, and increases/decreases of projected amounts are still possible until the final call – if needed – Monday afternoon. There is a strong possibility that this map will carry to the final call product.

Impacts and Timing:

Timing is generally a Monday evening arrival, from SW to NE across the region, and end time for this system is during the course of Tuesday afternoon, perhaps lingering into Tuesday early evening in some NE locations. The heaviest precipitation will fall generally between a 10 hour window from 2am Monday night and noon on Tuesday, but depending on location, there is a +/- 3 hour cushion to the heaviest precip for both start and end.

Impacts and hazards:

Heavy snow: snow that falls is expected to be of the heavier, wet variety, except in far interior locations. Given the “fluffier” nature of the snow for parts of NE PA and north central PA, amounts were raised to account for higher ratios expected in those areas.

Sleet/ice: This will likely occur toward the height of the storm in areas along and SE of I-95. Sleet accrual will be generally a tenth of an inch or less, but some areas that receive prolonged sleet could see a few tenths of an inch of sleet accrual.

Heavy rain: For coastal areas especially, rainfall amounts of an inch to an inch and a half are possible in addition to any sleet/snow expected.

Coastal flooding: There is a higher than normal chance for widespread moderate coastal flooding, and major coastal flooding and beach erosion on a hyper-local basis in both Delaware and New Jersey beaches.

Winds: During the height and when low pressure is closest to the area late Monday night and Tuesday morning, expect winds along and NW of I-95 to be between 25-40mph sustained, with higher gusts to 50mph at times. SE of I-95, especially toward the shore points, expect stronger winds sustained 35-45mph, gusting 50-60mph. This will create BLIZZARD conditions inland where noted on the map below (outlined black dashed area)

Power outages: Higher than normal risk from late Monday night into Tuesday morning

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4578 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
Harrisburg/Lancaster area here and already gearing up here and considering plans for closing the office on Tuesday. We will be making the final call tomorrow. Although unlike last year I'll be pulling as many vans into the shop overnight. The knuckleheads Last year left every van in the lot and then didn't bother to come in to help clear them off to roll.

Granted I'll still be working with a buddy clearing snow. So it will more than likely be a longer day than normal.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
We're gettin nailed! Wahoo! Love snow. Big Grin

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Looking like we'll get hit, though the coastal areas are gonna get it worse.

Hearing anything from 6-18" depending who you talk to. I'm expecting a foot.

Two days working from home at a minimum I'm thinking. If the governor declares state of emergency, I'll be up at the FD manning the trucks.

Generator and blower are fueled up and ready. Ain't the end of the world.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never understood that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
What a joke...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I bought 7.5 liters of fairlife chocolate milk today. I full expect it to be gone by Wednesday, maybe even Tuesday evening

The biggest culprit in our house is my oldest son, who turned 15 just about 6 weeks ago and just blew through 6'7 on his way towards 6'8. On an average weekend day when he is getting the bulk of his food at home he will drink st least - single 1.5 liter bottle by himself and start another...

His younger brother and sister will not be his height, but are not small either, and basically consume what's left.

So I guess if you're wondering why I buy so much milk, my answer to your question is another question..have you ever been around a really hungry, 6'7 freshman in high School?

quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
quote:
I never understood that.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
We sailed through February in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Freaking 70s! And now this?!

All of a sudden, I'm wishing I had bought that new set of tires I didn't think I would really need until next winter.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
Looks like I'm in the 20+ area for tomorrow. Will plug in the tractor and top off the tank today. Wife will work from home and I will hopefully have the day off.

phil

Posts: 2385 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Looking like a foot or so for me. Going to brave the grocery store on the way home today.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
Looking at 20ish, What concerns me are the wind forecasts. Sustained 35 with gusts in the 50's, meaning we will more than likely loose power for several days.

I have a generator and plenty of gas so we hope it goes OK.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post