SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    East Coast March Blizzard
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

East Coast March Blizzard Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
We got between 6 and 8 inches right now and there are still some light flurries coming down. I suspect this storm will reach the East in a day or so.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
I'm right inside the 18-24" line on the EPAWA map shown above. So according to that we can see anywhere from 10"-24".

Weather channel is saying 8-12" for this area.

Weather Underground says 1-3"

NOAA says 10-18"

I heard a local guy on the radio this morning say he sees about 12-14"

I just want to know if I need to set my alarm clock tonight or not.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
KX:

EPAWeather has a good track record on predictions. Check the site this evening for updates.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Somewhat reminds me of what hit us back in March 1993...we ended up with over 2' here in southeast Tennessee...the drift at my back door was 6'...it freaked the cats out when I opened the door to let them out Eek

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...Storm_of_the_Century

That was incredible. We were in Ooltewah, TN, young and had a baby at the time. Thank goodness my neighbor called at about 1:00 a.m. to tell me the power was out and get on with building a fire! Carrying wood in thundersnow - that's an experience.

No power for 10 days, no water for 4. When the baby's lips were turning blue we knew we needed a better heat source....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Work cancelled for tomorrow by 8:15 am today. Guess nobody needs building materials in a blizzard Smile

I'm more worried about the winds too- it was so warm the trees came out of hibernation- then so cold the past few days they're going to be brittle.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last I saw, snow was supposed to start roughtly 10pm tonight.

My shift runs til Midnight, and third shift is already kinda notorious for being flaky.

I fully expect I'll be working a 12 hour shift at minimum, possible a full 16, plus another 12-16 tomorrow. Not sure I'll risk driving home in the mustang so I may just end up camping out at work regardless.

Ah well. Honestly my only concern going through storms like this is keeping snow off the ragtop as much as possible, and other idiots on the road.

EDIT: York here, so consistently in the middle of the "oh shit" zone on those maps!

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:

Ah well. Honestly my only concern going through storms like this is keeping snow off the ragtop as much as possible, and other idiots on the road.

Bah. Just put the top down, and shovel it out later. Razz

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Milk, bread, eggs...what is it with everyone wanting to make French toast during snowstorms?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The prediction in DC is so much snow it ends the argument about global warming.

Well I can wish, can't I?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
We got between 6 and 8 inches right now and there are still some light flurries coming down. I suspect this storm will reach the East in a day or so.

We got about 6" yesterday. Funny how people forget how to drive after we've had a few nice days. Between noon and 8:30 last night there were nearly 400 crashes reported...

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
AIIRC, this isn't this first time. I recall this happening during the President Bush (43) Years too!

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:

Bah. Just put the top down, and shovel it out later. Razz

May be easier than running out every other hour to brush it off Razz

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
KX:

EPAWeather has a good track record on predictions. Check the site this evening for updates.
Yeah, I typically follow them over most others but I still to check the rest to see what they're saying.

I'm still trying to figure out WU's 1-3" though Confused

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Brace, brace, brace !!

Posts: 13811 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
I'm still trying to figure out WU's 1-3" though Confused

Perhaps that's the HOURLY rate Eek

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
I thought that same thing when I read it LOL

My biggest problem with snow is the people that shouldn't leave their homes during any inclement weather.

That includes the white knucklers and the idiots that thing "4x4" means license to be a douche.

Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
10-20" predicted for my area. I just test ran the snow blower & generator this morning. I have 10 extra gallons of gas. Plenty of wood for the stove & plenty of food.

We have two dependable 4 wheel drives, but we're retired, so there's no need to leave the farm. We're GTG!

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Seems like it keeps moving from the Monday-Tuesday timeframe and more Tuesday-Wednesday and 18 inches is looking more and more like a reality in the SEPA/Philly region. Frown

No hype-----just your forecast:
http://epawaweather.com/daily-...-pa-forecast-region/

Looks like a giant yellow schlong coming right through NY/NJ/PA Eek

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
This is what happens when rain gets too cold.... it happens every year. Not sure why its a shock. It's still winter, this happens.

At least this 12-18" isn't falling on the 3 feet that fell over the weekend.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
The prediction in DC is so much snow it ends the argument about global warming.

Well I can wish, can't I?

Since when did facts and reality matter to the kool-aid crowd? Smile

We could have a month where no planet temps got above zero, and they would still be preaching man-made global warming will destroy us; and the only hope is to give gov't control over the production and use of energy (ie, it is about power and money, not about the environment).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post