SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend a crisp, clean, Dry beer pls......
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a crisp, clean, Dry beer pls...... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Got to agree with stkfox on this one. Had a Modelo draft and a squeeze of lime with chicken mole enchiladas. Mighty good.

Posts: 3596 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
---Snip---
The lagers from Pennsylvania piqued my interest and I’m going to seek them out on my next visit.

Thanks Sig Forum!

If you're going to visit PA to check out lager, you should take the tour of the Yuengling Brewery in Pottsville. It's the oldest brewery in the US & is still in the original building, although it's been added to since 1830. You can even see the cave where they stored barrels of beer in to keep it cold.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
If you find yourself going through the Shenandoah Valley try to find Basic City Brewing “Our Daily Pils” and if you don’t like it I’ll send you something else. Absolute best domestic pilsner I’ve ever had.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
My wife's comment after I showed her this thread...

"Bud, Miller, Modelo, Molson. Are you sure you're still on Sigforum? I would have expected more GERMAN MADE beer"

Hmmm, maybe with the triple S/N on the bottle, cap and cardboard case??? Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
My wife's comment after I showed her this thread...

"Bud, Miller, Modelo, Molson. Are you sure you're still on Sigforum? I would have expected more GERMAN MADE beer"

Hmmm, maybe with the triple S/N on the bottle, cap and cardboard case??? Smile

One I forgot, one of my faves. Available at Aldi

Wernesgrüner
Pilsner

I even have some Wernesgrüner
Pils glasses that I got in GE years ago

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
I had Paulaner Hefe Weizen recently and really enjoyed it!

https://www.paulaner.com/us/our-products/hefe-weizen/

Posts: 673 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pistolria:
I had Paulaner Hefe Weizen recently and really enjoyed it!

https://www.paulaner.com/us/our-products/hefe-weizen/

Another of my favorites.

It's tough to go wrong with real German Hefeweizens. Weihenstphaner is the best, but several others are close... Paulaner, Fransiskaner, Ayinger, etc.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
So from a practical standpoint, since I don't hang out at liquor stores, what are some good pilsners and similar available at Trader Joe's and Aldi's?

My own personal favorites currently are:
Tuborg (but don't know where I can find it locally in San Diego)
Modelo Especial
Stella Artois

I've been enjoying this thread in particular because I hate IPA's, and San Diego seems to be the hub of the universe of these bitter things.

White Labs here, which supplies yeasts to home brewers and microbreweries around the country, has a tasting bar where you can sample different styles of beer and even different cultures within the same style. It's a fun local excursion, not far from where I live.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
So from a practical standpoint, since I don't hang out at liquor stores, what are some good pilsners and similar available at Trader Joe's and Aldi's?

Simpler Times, Energen and Josephbrau Pilsners and German/Czech-style Lagers can be found at TJ's, they may bring them in seasonally or, regionally.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

My own personal favorites currently are:
Tuborg (but don't know where I can find it locally in San Diego)
<snip>

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I drink Stiegl Gold (Austria). The finest lager available IMO (and I know my lagers).

At Bristol Farms, an upscale grocery at Genesee & Nobel Dr, Joe orders it by the case for me. It’s likely that he’d order Tuborg for you.

But I heartily recommend the Stiegl!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I drink Stiegl Gold (Austria). The finest lager available IMO (and I know my lagers).

Really wanted to try this one but none available anywhere close to me and I checked Aldi, Total Wine, the biggies. Only thing they had as the Stiegl Radler for some reason.
I have one more shot with a German restaurant here that has a huge draft and import bottled beer menu. Wish they had a “search” feature on their webpage to make it easier but this will require a hands on visit, that will be a bummer, eh? Smile

Posts: 818 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Ghost River Golden. Bud is very similar; not my favorite brew but between the two the local is undeniably better.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Pipe Smoker, to be honest my beer consumption is such that a case would last a couple of years, so not a good idea.

I think I'll head over to the local TJ's to see what I can find. Vons hardly has real beer.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
A beer you could pull from an ice filled cooler on a hot summer day and taste a good refreshing beer that leaves you quaffing another in short order.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is perhaps my favorite go-to summer beer. Crisp, clean, and with a great flavor. A very light hefeweizen.

My suggestion as well. I like it, but still it's kind of a disappointment after drinking Falcon Shandy in Malta. That was the greatest hot summer day beer ever.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Really wanted to try this one but none available anywhere close to me and I checked Aldi, Total Wine, the biggies. Only thing they had as the Stiegl Radler for some reason.
I have one more shot with a German restaurant here that has a huge draft and import bottled beer menu. Wish they had a “search” feature on their webpage to make it easier but this will require a hands on visit, that will be a bummer, eh? Smile

Made it to the German restaurant/brewery but they don’t or can’t order the Stiegl Gold anymore for some reason. Real bummer.
I did remember a beer I’d had a few years ago that stuck in my mind and I got some more today for a comparison, and, yes, it still holds as a great beer and that would be San Miguel from the Philippines. Very nice.

Posts: 818 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post