SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend a crisp, clean, Dry beer pls......
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a crisp, clean, Dry beer pls...... Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Well, you're looking for a lager. The hoppy, etc. beers are mostly all ales.
<snip>

Yep.

The best lager that I know of is Stiegl Gold. Imported from Austria, where its known as Goldbräu. Rich flavor, but crisp. I buy it in 24-can cases (six four-packs). Half-liter cans – the right size for a beer!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Well, you're looking for a lager. The hoppy, etc. beers are mostly all ales.

Not necessarily. Have you ever had a Northern German Pils (Pilsner) like a Jever or Flensburger?

They can be nearly as hoppy as an IPA, but much lighter and crisper as they are a lager and not an ale.

Those are my favorites and go-to beer. I've largely given up on American craft IPA's where they seem to be like I'm drinking a glass of Pine-Sol cleaner, in both the nasty extreme hoppiness and the heavy almost syrupy mouthfeel.

Locally, I love this stuff, not sure if the OP can find it? Made by Slx Fox Brewing in Pottstown, PA

Pikeland Pils
German-style Pilsner
11.0 OG 44 IBUs 4.9% ABV
A northern German-style Pilsner brewed with imported German pils malt and hopped with German and Czech hops. Light in body, light straw in color and dry.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I've been playing tennis with a new buddy and walked over to his place for a beer after our match last week. He said all he drinks is Stella Artois, which I've never drank. I must say it was very light, crisp, and refreshing after a couple of hours on the court.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Budweiser Select 55 surprised me the other day as a good crisp non hoppy beer. Peroni and Pilsner Urquell are good too. Have you tried Liengenkugel Canoe Paddler?

Posts: 4058 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Those are my favorites and go-to beer. I've largely given up on American craft IPA's where they seem to be like I'm drinking a glass of Pine-Sol cleaner, in both the nasty extreme hoppiness and the heavy almost syrupy mouthfeel.

I am sick to death of IPAs. It was never my favorite style to start with, and I thought the trend wouldn't last. But it has, and if anyone gives me another beer that tastes like turpentine, I'll throw it at them.

I can only hope that one of my favorite styles like Belgian ales become popular.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can only hope that one of my favorite styles like Belgian ales become popular.

Duchesse De Bourgogne, a red Flemish ale, sweet/sour, consistently gets rave reviews. I went to a wine tasting a couple years ago and came away with a sixer of this instead. Excellent beer!

Posts: 818 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PBR is my every day beer. I also love Pilsner Urquel and Czechvar (the original Budweiser).

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I like lagers for that.

Japanese beers tend to be crisp. Asahi is known to be a hot summer time choice though I'm partial to Sapporo or Kirin.

<snip>

Yessir! Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
Schmidts? We only drank that if we were out of Ortlieb's...

Just a good old Coors Banquet Beer might do it!

Posts: 673 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Coors Banquet in the little brown bottles indeed!

How about Little Kings?

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.9mm:
PBR is my every day beer. I also love Pilsner Urquel and Czechvar (the original Budweiser).

I worked with a gentleman at a previous employer that professed that PBR was the only beer he would ever drink. He was probably nearing 60.

Posts: 796 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I think the OP is looking for a beer with less than 20 IBU. With all of the craft and microbrewers, I don't even feel comfortable stating a style of beer as many of them shoot for unique and bastardize the genre. For example, Houston's craft brewer Saint Arnold:
  • Lawnmower (aka Kolsch) - terrific beer for after working outdoors in the summer. It's smooth and crisp. IBU is 18.
  • H-Town Pils (aka pilsner) - it's more malty and hoppy and as a result is more bitter. Not as enjoyable after working up a sweat outdoors. IBU is 29.

My favorite genre of summer beer is hefeweizen as it's light and a perfectly balanced beer the Germans have been brewing for a thousand years. A few that I refreshing after a hot day and they're German:
  • Ayinger Brauweisse - IBU 13
  • Erdinger Weissbier - IBU 14
  • Weihenstephaner hefeweissbier - IMO, best hefeweizen - IBU 14

If the OP, likes something even lighter then perhaps he'll like Kristallweizen as it's hefeweizen that has been filtered. Weihenstephaner's kristallweissbier is generally regarded the best. Even though the IBU is higher than their hefe (16 vs 14), it's smoother.

• This is good advice. Many pilsners will fit into the decription you gave.

Japanese beers, and most American factory beer (like Budweiser, Miller, etc.) have too much rice in the grain bill, which robs them of flavor. And they are brewed to be bland - and have almost no hops flavor either. Of course, what I forget is that a lot of people like that. If that is your style, get Budweiser. That is the one I get when I get a very light flavored American style lager.

Nialed it. American lager's are quite bland, basically slightly flavored water; if you need to hydrate, not a bad option. The Japanese lagers are similar however, they seem to taste much better when served near freezing. A humid night in Tokyo at a pub slamming these down with a bunch of salary men makes for a fantastic night.

Lately, I've taken a liking to Energren Brewing's assortment; discovered them at Trader Joe's 2 years ago. Their Helles, which they call their lightest remains me very much of a beer I had after hiking all day in Bavaria, where the mountain side hut had cold beers available. So good!
    For a seasonal with some good flavor and a similar profile, Russian River Brewing STS Pils, is a genuine pilsner, enough hops to give it flavor but, not turn your gut inside-out like an IPA.
    Their seasonal which is my picnic/outside beer is their Velvet Glow which is a Helles style lager with good flavor.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Needs a check up
    from the neck up
    Picture of Timdogg6
    posted Hide Post
    St Paulie Girl
    Molson Ice
    Grolsch

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Several people are mentioning Grolsch. Since it comes in a green bottle, it's more prone to skunking that beer in a brown bottle. Therefore, better to buy either cans or a 12-pack of bottles (all bottles enclosed in cardboard) instead of a 6-pack of bottles (all bottle tops exposed to light).

Before anybody disagrees about UV light causing skunking, here is a debunking article on 4 common skunking myths.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Imagination and focus
    become reality
    posted Hide Post
    As a couple of others have stated: Pilsner Urquell.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Bob at the Beach
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    I think the OP is looking for a beer with less than 20 IBU. With all of the craft and microbrewers, I don't even feel comfortable stating a style of beer as many of them shoot for unique and bastardize the genre. For example, Houston's craft brewer Saint Arnold:
  • Lawnmower (aka Kolsch) - terrific beer for after working outdoors in the summer. It's smooth and crisp. IBU is 18.
  • H-Town Pils (aka pilsner) - it's more malty and hoppy and as a result is more bitter. Not as enjoyable after working up a sweat outdoors. IBU is 29.

My favorite genre of summer beer is hefeweizen as it's light and a perfectly balanced beer the Germans have been brewing for a thousand years. A few that I refreshing after a hot day and they're German:
  • Ayinger Brauweisse - IBU 13
  • Erdinger Weissbier - IBU 14
  • Weihenstephaner hefeweissbier - IMO, best hefeweizen - IBU 14

If the OP, likes something even lighter then perhaps he'll like Kristallweizen as it's hefeweizen that has been filtered. Weihenstephaner's kristallweissbier is generally regarded the best. Even though the IBU is higher than their hefe (16 vs 14), it's smoother.

• Maybe a Radler as well?

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Lawyers, Guns
    and Money
    Picture of chellim1
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Schmidts? We only drank that if we were out of Ortlieb's...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
    -- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
    -rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Ironbutt
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
    Great minds drink alike :

Yep. I switched to Yuengling Lager 30 years ago. I've tried a few of the local craft beers from time to time, and some are pretty good, but mostly they're here today, gone tomorrow. I'm an old phart & pretty set in my ways, so now I don't even bother with them anymore.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Nialed it. American lager's are quite bland, basically slightly flavored water

There's always at least one.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I’m liking the Peroni! Tks for the suggestion.

I’ll pick up a Yeungling on occasion down here but can’t handle a lot of them. As someone referenced earlier, I’ll try the can sometime, or, better yet....get one brewed in PA, I’d think it would be much better.

Posts: 818 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post