SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend a crisp, clean, Dry beer pls......
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a crisp, clean, Dry beer pls...... Login/Join 
posted
(For the older guys) something along the likes of a Michelob Dry or Schmidt’s (of Philadelphia), even Rolling Rock when it was still made in Latrobe, Pa. Love the craft beers but yearning for some from the past that were a lot less hoppy or malty or sour. A beer you could pull from an ice filled cooler on a hot summer day and taste a good refreshing beer that leaves you quaffing another in short order.
Schmidt’s (of Philadelphia) isn’t made anymore but boy what I would give for a case of it right now,

Posts: 818 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Straubs beer out of St Marys PA

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Maybe the japanese beers, or okinawan beer, or taiwan beer.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Well, you're looking for a lager. The hoppy, etc. beers are mostly all ales.

Never tasted Michelob Dry or Schmidt's. Rolling Rock? That stuff always tasted to me like what I imagined carbonated cat piss would.

<thinking...> Heineken or Amstel Lager, perhaps? Sam Adams Boston Lager?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I like lagers for that.

Japanese beers tend to be crisp. Asahi is known to be a hot summer time choice though I'm partial to Sapporo or Kirin.

I tried a lager recently (no idea where it's from, had a mug in a restaurant) that was very tasty, crisp and light - 10 Barrels I think it was called. Would definitely buy again. I also like Red Trolley (getting hard to find) and Anderson Valley Boont Amber Ale (usually easy to find).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12723 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I would like to try that someday but availability is poor (I think east coast only?).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12723 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try any of the czech pilsners. Lighter, dry and not overly "hoppy."

Posts: 102 | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Miller High life

Sapporo

Stella Artois

Dos Equis

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Labatt's and Molson's immediately come to mind. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Peroni.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chessiedog1:
Straubs beer out of St Marys PA

+1. Hard to find outside Pa. Small Brewery but they sell every drop and they used to be closed during hunting season.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
Asahi Super Dry

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Pilsner Urquell" https://www.pilsnerurquell.com

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Great minds drink alike :

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Asahi/Sapporo/Kirin

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
past that were a lot less hoppy or malty or sour. A beer you could pull from an ice filled cooler on a hot summer day and taste a good refreshing beer that leaves you quaffing another in short order.
Schmidt’s (of Philadelphia) isn’t made anymore but boy what I would give for a case of it right now,

Now you're speaking my language. I HATE the taste of hoppy beers and despise the whole snobby culture that surrounds them. Call me a hilbilly or white trash, or whatever the hell for liking Budweiser, I just DGAF. What is even more repugnant then some sloppy hipster with his too tight shirt and flabby gut telling me why I should be drinking a sour IPA made from unicorn tears and hops grown on the Himalayan Steppe is ordering a Kolsch, Pilsner, or "crisp American style lager" at a brewery only to have it taste just like the damn IPAs that they make.

Some good ones to get you started:

(Expect snide remarks from friends)

Budweiser
Sapporo
Singha
Bischoff Pils
Peroni
Straub
Pilsner Urquell
Miller High Life

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michelob Dry

That was good stuff. I liked Michelob Light too, but I think it has changed. The old brewmaster used to show up at our tennis club.

quote:
Stella Artois

I like the Stella.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I think the OP is looking for a beer with less than 20 IBU. With all of the craft and microbrewers, I don't even feel comfortable stating a style of beer as many of them shoot for unique and bastardize the genre. For example, Houston's craft brewer Saint Arnold:
  • Lawnmower (aka Kolsch) - terrific beer for after working outdoors in the summer. It's smooth and crisp. IBU is 18.
  • H-Town Pils (aka pilsner) - it's more malty and hoppy and as a result is more bitter. Not as enjoyable after working up a sweat outdoors. IBU is 29.

My favorite genre of summer beer is hefeweizen as it's light and a perfectly balanced beer the Germans have been brewing for a thousand years. A few that I refreshing after a hot day and they're German:
  • Ayinger Brauweisse - IBU 13
  • Erdinger Weissbier - IBU 14
  • Weihenstephaner hefeweissbier - IMO, best hefeweizen - IBU 14

If the OP, likes something even lighter then perhaps he'll like Kristallweizen as it's hefeweizen that has been filtered. Weihenstephaner's kristallweissbier is generally regarded the best. Even though the IBU is higher than their hefe (16 vs 14), it's smoother.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Pyker
    posted Hide Post
    Grolsch

Stella Artois

Modelo

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post