SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today I cleaned my rifle
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 42

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Today I cleaned my rifle Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I carry a Shield in 9mm, I want to step back up to a Glock, but I'm just now starting to carry every chance I get. The primary reason is the Glock feels so much thicker and the spare mag, I'm thick enough around the middle and have a hard time finding clothes that fit decently. So, I'll work on it. I may however start to carry two spare mags.

Speaking of thick in the middle, I'm working on that as well! Which may be at least as important, as a civilian, getting away from the gunfire is probably going to be the first plan.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Report This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
I think everyone who carries a gun should take a med class. I've used my FAK numerous times for accidents etc, but have never used my pistol.

The TSA guy who died in the LAX shooting succumbed to blood loss and a sucking chest wound. He could have survived.

Food for thought.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Report This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
These attacks are just practice for the shit to be unleashed here in the states
Mark my words

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I carry SD ammo in my carry gun, but despite having a good stock of FMJ for plinking/competition, I am sorry to say I don't have any SD ammo in 5.56. I also need more SD 9mm. Suggestions? Good quality and price?

have not checked for a while, but Wolf sells some 52 and 75 grain hollow points in 5.56. I have some of each.

I put on my pistol when I get out of bed, take it off when I go to bed. And it is laying on the night stand all night.

Not the only weapon, either.

I often carry 2 extra magazines for my G22, which is loaded with HP rounds.

I even carry while working out.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I have carried a pistol/pistols since MI became a shall issue state about 14 years ago. I have had a loaded, ready to go AR in my house for 26 years now, and a pump shotgun in the corner for 35 years.

I am glad to hear that others are so like minded, because it is just plain common sense these days.

Sounds like my house.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I apologize for the long read, but I absolutely agree with Para and just wanted to share my "evolution" in getting to this point. Para said the the specific guns aren't important and I agree, I only include what I carry to show what my progression has been.

About 25 years ago I started carrying if I was going near any of the more "unsavory" areas in the Settle/north King County/south Snohomish County area I call home. About 23 years ago, I added daily carry when I went to work (downtown Seattle at the time). About 15 years ago I became one of those guys who carried pretty much anytime I left the house. About 8 years ago I became the guy who carried not only when I left the house, but also carried frequently while in the house and if not, I made a conscious effort to have a gun close at hand in addition to having one or two stashed around the house when safe to do so.

Most of that carry was done with a Glock 23, Glock 33, and M&P9C (notice the "downsizing"?). Since I rarely wear a jacket, even in the winter, I decided about 6 years ago I would prefer something that is pocketable. Unsatisfied with the available options in pocket pistols, I moved to a J-Frame as my EDC. When the pocket 9's started coming out, I ditched the J-Frame and since the fall of 2013, if I have my pants on it is a safe bet that I have my P938 in the pocket.

Last summer I took advantage of the falling AR prices and picked up a rifle and AR Pistol as well. Loaded up on magazines and ammo and am enjoying the low prices and hoping they stick around for awhile. The AR pistol was mostly just a treat to myself, a "fun gun" I justified by calling a "house gun" but given current events I am damn glad I splurged.

With the ISIS beheadings and then some of the crazy "not muslim/ISIS/Islam/terror related" crimes being committed by muslims in the name of Islam happening in this country like the beheading of a coworker at the food company in Oklahoma, and the murder of Brendan Tevlin in NJ (the suspect of which is also believed to have killed three others in the Seattle area- which happens to be my neck of the woods...) and then Ferguson getting all the obama supporters in a tizzy, and the current "F" the cops mentality, I have decided it certainly is interesting times we are living in.

I joined an indoor range last summer as well and am shooting much more frequently than I have in years even if it is just 100-200 rounds at a time.

While I still carry the P938 daily, these days most times I leave the house I am also toting the AR Pistol and 100 rounds (20x3, 40x1) in a relatively nondescript shoulder bag along with the P320 or VP9 tucked in the side pocket. If for some reason I can't take the bag with me or will have to leave it in the car, I am more frequently forgoing the P938 and taking the P320 or VP9 IWB if I have to go with just a sidearm.

As for spare mags, I rarely carried one until I went to the P938, with it's limited capacity I started carrying one about 60-70% of the time. Nowadays, if I just have the sidearm, I also have at least one and usually two spare magazines.

I recognize the odds are low for walking into a terror related thing, maybe not so slim to be in a situation with local unrest over police behavior. Always been a firm believer in "Be Prepared" and "God helps those who help themselves". Hopefully by having it I will somehow reduce my chances of need it.

Also a big "+1" on the mental prep of visualization and playing "what if" mind games while out and about.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Report This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Para,
Its always random....
Until it happens to you

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Report This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I can't disagree. We have numerous examples of foreign influenced killers to mentally twisted nut jobs shooting up movie theaters or schools to mobs of people looting and killing. A potential threat could come from across the globe or your own town.

I am currently looking into a way to secure an SBR AR in my trunk. As common as car break ins are I can't just leave it in the car unsecured. I always have a pistol on me and a spare mag. I would love a way to keep a rifle some spare mags and some more spare pistol mags in the car.

It isn't perfect but it does give options. Options are good.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Today I bought my first rifle; it was a purchase I've been going back and forth on for years and this thread inspired me to pull the trigger (forgive the pun). It's my first, but it won't be my last. I'm behind the curve on ammo build up, but I'm starting. My SIG will only take me so far if SHTF and I want/need something that I can have some distance with and send more rounds down range if necessary.

Thanks for pushing me over the edge, Para.

I know where you can shoot it/ Cool

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Report This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know where you can shoot it/

I know there has to be SOMEWHERE in this state!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
Para,
Its always random....
Until it happens to you
What in the Hell are you talking about?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Mrs Ronin loves this forum. She's not a member, but she lurks and sometimes mentions how she envy's what we have here. She knows I carry, and often asks if I am, but has always resisted doing so herself, reason being that she didn't know if she could pull the trigger. I had her read through this thread and after years of resistance agreed that it is time for her to learn to shoot and get her PTC this summer.

Now that I have my AR, I am going to seriously look at something more compact (pistol or folding stock) for the vehicle and the numerous solo hikes I do throughout Minnesota when there is no snow on the ground.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Para-
I have to say that on the relatively short time I've been a member here this has to be one of the best discussions I've ever read.
Thank you and thanks to all the members who have participated.
I'm going to start another thread on a related subject so as to not side track this discussion.

Also, I'm stealing one of Para's comments for my signature line. Thanks again.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Report This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I always carry and I always have at least one extra mag. At home...yeah they better hope they're lucky if they try me here cause otherwise it'll be a short day for the scumbags. There are options for boom in every room and a couple slashing and bludgeoning options too.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Report This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I wonder if I can get my wife to help me with my rig like that Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
Nice support from your wife. My wife is cool also. Every morning, she asks me which gun I am carrying. Then she belts me up with holster and mag carriers.

quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
I am carrying, whenever possible. My wife, who got me started on all this, used to ask why I was putting on my rig, almost every time we went out, until she started to understand what is going on around us. Nowadays, it seems that now she does not even bat an eye as the rig is being put on before we go somewhere. Always have some sort of implement on me when we are inside or when I cannot carry when we are out, but plans are in the works to be carrying always when indoors as well.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
I'm good on Pistols, AR's, Shotguns, and Ammo.

I was looking over the Radical Arms AR Pistol selection in Mason's Rifle Room. At $585 they look like a good deal. I'd rather have a Sig or DDMK18...But they are twice as much.

The thought of having a 10" MILSPEC AR is appealing. They even have shorter barrels which is even more appealing.

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
Nice support from your wife. My wife is cool also. Every morning, she asks me which gun I am carrying. Then she belts me up with holster and mag carriers.

quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
I am carrying, whenever possible. My wife, who got me started on all this, used to ask why I was putting on my rig, almost every time we went out, until she started to understand what is going on around us. Nowadays, it seems that now she does not even bat an eye as the rig is being put on before we go somewhere. Always have some sort of implement on me when we are inside or when I cannot carry when we are out, but plans are in the works to be carrying always when indoors as well.

Whenever we go out, Mrs DF frisks me to make sure I am armed...

Sure wish Mrs. EK would do that ! Big Grin

Funny that you mention the frisk. We were up near Traverse City visiting very, very dear friends of ours and, as usual, I was carrying.

They both carry and had previously shown us their carry weapons, and since my wife thinks the world of them, it put her more at ease about me carrying.

They treated us to a fantastic brunch with roast prime rib done on their grill and rare to perfection. After brunch, the husband and I went to look at his latest acquisitions, including a 10mm Glock (immediately, I thought of here !), with a neat push-out safety trigger plug thing that had me rethinking Glocks Wink

Well, when it was sadly time to go and we were all hugging goodbye, my friend's wife accidently frisked me right on the rig ! We all got a good laugh about that "intimate" moment.

We had met by shared interest in Land Rovers, but over time have found that we are all on the same page about so many things. I have to believe that there is a very silent majority (?) out there preparing/prepared and carrying and being very vigilant.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Czechvar:
I'm good on Pistols, AR's, Shotguns, and Ammo.

I was looking over the Radical Arms AR Pistol selection in Mason's Rifle Room. At $585 they look like a good deal. I'd rather have a Sig or DDMK18...But they are twice as much.

The thought of having a 10" MILSPEC AR is appealing. They even have shorter barrels which is even more appealing.

Now you have me thinking.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Report This Post
Picture of Josh Smith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Primary, reload, BUG, reload, flashlight, knife.

10 years ago I didn't carry. 5 years ago I'd have thought a BUG a bit extreme.

Today I ponder strapping on an ankle gun for better access to one while driving, but a man with 3 guns on him would probably be labeled a gun nut in the press. But I guess better to be alive and a gun nut than dead and not.

The rationale is this: If you carry a gun, you're a gun nut. More guns won't really portray you differently.

It's sort of like Jeeps. If I owned a modified 1976 Jeep CJ5, I'm a Jeep nut. If I add a modify a 1985 Cherokee and keep it as a backup, I'm still a Jeep nut. "That Jeep nut Josh got himself another Jeep!"

I personally carry a 1911, two mags, a Camenga compass, a flashligh, and a Leatherman. I've had use for all of them in the past so I carry all of them.

As for three guns, time was I carried a 9mm strong side, then added a 4" S&W M19 weak side, and as an afterthought, a small .22 backup in the pocket, later.

I no longer need that sort of firepower on a daily basis, but understand that one might, and there's no reason to NOT carry what you feel you need.

YOU are in a position to best assess your needs, not your neighbor and definitely not the press or government.

Regards,

Josh

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnw91498:
<<snip>> Heck, even church sometimes doesn't seem safe.

It is well known among the staff members at church, and a lot of the members, that I'm always packing. If anything happens, especially over in the building where the children's ministry is located, they know who to alert first (after calling 911 of course).

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Report This Post