SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today I cleaned my rifle
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 42

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Today I cleaned my rifle Login/Join 
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
john, you have no chance against an AK47 only if it is pointed at you, you are taken by surprise, and they are accurate with it.

Other than that, you dang sure do have a chance.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
john, you have no chance against an AK47 only if it is pointed at you, you are taken by surprise, and they are accurate with it.

That's a good point. I'm just thinking a 30 round mag of 7.62 on full auto aganist a semi 15 rounds of 9mm just doesn't sound fair...

Glock 19
HK P2000sk
Sig P226
Spikes AR15 Middy
CA94 MP5 clone

Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's a good point. I'm just thinking a 30 round mag of 7.62 on full auto aganist a semi 15 rounds of 9mm just doesn't sound fair...

That's probably what they're thinking too.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnw91498:
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
quote:
What really scares me is that they are carrying AK47's which I would have no chance aganist with my puny Glock 19...

Sounds like a good reason to have a car/truck rifle to me... Wink

I have a few. Except what good is the truck rifle that's in the trunk if you're in a mall or church? They're always attacking "soft" targets it seems.

At that point, your only advantages are surprise and wit. That is why open carry is not a preparedness method I would choose.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29702 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, you don't think it could happen here?
You're kidding, right? I started this thread, man.

I'm talking about being prepared, and that means anticipating trouble. You're talking about your "puny Glock 19" and you don't have the slightest idea about what kind of mayhem you might encounter. It could been ten thousand different things, most of which don't involve any rifle, AK or otherwise.

I usually don't go around yammering about "mindset", but you need a new one.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of doublecorona
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:

Shot placement... Big Grin

Deplorable NRA Life Member

Posts: 1050 | Location: Where my mind is not | Registered: February 12, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Nice support from your wife. My wife is cool also. Every morning, she asks me which gun I am carrying. Then she belts me up with holster and mag carriers.

quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
I am carrying, whenever possible. My wife, who got me started on all this, used to ask why I was putting on my rig, almost every time we went out, until she started to understand what is going on around us. Nowadays, it seems that now she does not even bat an eye as the rig is being put on before we go somewhere. Always have some sort of implement on me when we are inside or when I cannot carry when we are out, but plans are in the works to be carrying always when indoors as well.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Report This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
As someone said, we will not fire the first shot, but we sure as hell will fire the last.

Be ready as they are getting ready.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Today I bought my first rifle; it was a purchase I've been going back and forth on for years and this thread inspired me to pull the trigger (forgive the pun). It's my first, but it won't be my last. I'm behind the curve on ammo build up, but I'm starting. My SIG will only take me so far if SHTF and I want/need something that I can have some distance with and send more rounds down range if necessary.

Thanks for pushing me over the edge, Para.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12334 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes. Armed whenever possible, and to the greatest degree practical without drawing attention to one's self. I have been at times lax in this respect, but these days, I am loaded for bear.

Not to sidetrack the thread...but what do you put your rifle in when out in the car or truck? I have a 357 lever action carbine that tucks in behind the kids seat and also is partially covered by the range bag I leave in the truck. (you would never see the carbine unless it is removed from behind the stuff)

I have a backpack with a army blouse, towel, couple bottles of water and a few boxes of 9mm and 357ammo in the bag...

I've been thinking of upping the game to an AR but want a innocuous bag to hold the AR (16in and adjustable stock)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
Nice support from your wife. My wife is cool also. Every morning, she asks me which gun I am carrying. Then she belts me up with holster and mag carriers.

quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
I am carrying, whenever possible. My wife, who got me started on all this, used to ask why I was putting on my rig, almost every time we went out, until she started to understand what is going on around us. Nowadays, it seems that now she does not even bat an eye as the rig is being put on before we go somewhere. Always have some sort of implement on me when we are inside or when I cannot carry when we are out, but plans are in the works to be carrying always when indoors as well.

Whenever we go out, Mrs DF frisks me to make sure I am armed...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29702 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Genius
Picture of ST3 Rock
posted Hide Post
I took mine out to the range today. Nice rainy day. Nobody around. While I was there, I reflected on this thread Para.

I had my model 70 in 22 hornet.

It was very relaxing.

There is a lot of crap going on in the world. And like it or not, people have an incessant hatred for Americans. Even some Americans. Frown

I have always got the feeling from you that you reflected on our way of life as it once was. We were once free to go about our business without the worry of dangerous people. Like going to the range and not having to worry about idiots in the next shooting stall.

These days, we have to apply vigilance in almost everything we do.

It is a shame. An awful shame really.

Today while I was at the range, I enjoyed a good cigar and listened to Credence Clearwater - Bad Moon Rising. Maybe Fogerty was right.

Posts: 9283 | Location: Cecil County MD | Registered: January 19, 2008Report This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been thinking of upping the game to an AR but want a innocuous bag to hold the AR (16in and adjustable stock)

Hard to beat a Nike bat bag. $12 at Academy Sports.

My AK underfolder rides in a tennis racquet bag.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Report This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
15rds in a Glock gives you a whole HELL of a lot better chance than nothing at all. The will to win and survive goes a long way.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Tune the weapon between your ears. I'm confident I'm smarter than anyone stupid or crazed enough to want to murder innocent people.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
An AR pistol with a folding stock goes in my backpack and into the truck if I leave my house for any overnight trip.

Otherwise it is a Glock 23 on me with a spare mag on weak side and a Glock 27 in the wife's purse with its own spare may. We both use Glock 22 mags as spare.

I put on my gun when I get dressed and take if off when I put on my PJs right before bed.

We both have quick access safes on our end tables bolted to the side where they are hard to see.

The chances are very slim either of us would ever have to use them but we both take defense of our seven year old seriously.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Report This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I have felt good about carrying more regularly (started last year) until I read this thread. I'm woefully unprepared for just about everything that can happen. It's always been so safe here and so laid back and you can trust your neighbors...It's even starting to change here though, drug problems are spiraling out of control, more robberies and violent crimes happening, gang problems in the big towns.. It breaks my heart. It seems everyone around me thinks I'm the crazy one for taking the world more seriously and for thinking like has been discussed in this thread. Not helpful. Confused

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What really scares me is that they are carrying AK47's which I would have no chance aganist with my puny Glock 19...

If you think you're out-gunned, then you are!

Jeff Cooper taught that you have to be of a mindset that you're willing to take on three guys with shotguns. Many misunderstood this, thinking he was advocating bravado, when he was talking about developing a basic drive to survive, no matter the odds.

Scary situations are becoming common-place today, and we need to prepare ourselves for these eventualities to hit home. To my mind, a Glock 19 will work as well as anything, as long as you are willing to survive.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9161 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The best defense can be a bold offense. See The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors.

Or if you think a situation is hopeless, the bad guys are all around, you are peeing your pants, then just put your gun in your mouth and pull the trigger.

At least then maybe someone with some balls can use it to fight back.

I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even more so, if you are unlucky enough to get caught in it you most likely won't have your weapons of choice OR will be with a group (wife/kids) or in an area (crowded) that would make engaging the suspects somewhere between ill advised and just plain stupid.

True, BUT it is easy to be prepared for even the most unlikely scenario.

You MAY not be able to use the rifle and mags in your trunk, but what if you COULD... and didn't have them?

For $1000 or so you can get a rifle, magazines, ammo and some kind of body armor. Why wouldn't you?

quote:
What really scares me is that they are carrying AK47's which I would have no chance aganist with my puny Glock 19..

The gun is a tool. Your mind is the weapon.

If your WEAPON is better than his, you will employ your tools in such a way to be victorious.

quote:
what type of ammo should be in these magazines for an unknown event?

Standard M193 or M855 will do if you will.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Report This Post