SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Despite everything, I've ended up with an iPhone
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Despite everything, I've ended up with an iPhone Login/Join 
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
YMMV, but I've never liked the feel of any screen protector, and have never had one, nor cracked any screens in the last 15 years of owning "smart phones".

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Tempered Glass Screen Protectors?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
All this talk about T-Mobile for saving money has me thinking....

Check the ACTUAL coverage for your area.

In North Georgia, no one beats ATT for coverage since they took over all of Bell South Mobility’s cell towers when they merged with Cingular(formerly Bell South Mobility). Around here, it goes ATT-Verizon-T-Mobile for coverage.

This is the key thing. All carriers excel in one place or the other. You need to check coverage maps where you intend to use the phone the majority of the time. If considering switching and you have a job, it's super easy. Ask all your coworkers what they use. They can tell you coverage area within work, and if any of them live near you they can give you a clue of service near you residence.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Huzzah!

I recently switched from AT&T to TMobile, have been on iPhones since the 3 version came out.
Briefly tried a Samsung Note, took it back within the 1st week

AT&T is the worst service I’ve ever had from any “utility” provider
TMobile is 20% cheaper and very easy to deal with so far
Coverage is slightly inferior in my area, but it’s well worth the trade off

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2917 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
AT&T is the worst service I’ve ever had from any “utility” provider
I despise AT&T. From 2003 to 2015, they were my cellular provider. Never would I go back to AT&T.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
I recently switched from AT&T to TMobile, have been on iPhones since the 3 version came out.
Briefly tried a Samsung Note, took it back within the 1st week.
Having used both an iPhone and Android phones, I think that change is the most difficult. The IOS infrastructure is so tightly managed by Apple that shifting away from it into the world of Android (that is not tightly managed to put it mildly), really can un-nerve a user. Personally, I think both software environments have their pluses and minuses, so it really comes down to the user's expectations and needs. For me, Android provides me the ability to fully sculpt the user environment to exactly what I want it to be, something I can't do in IOS.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm not glued to my phone. Younger people these days- if you took away their phone for a couple of days, it seems they would fall apart. They have their face stuck in the thing constantly. They're never known the peace and quiet of being away from all electronic devices for periods of time. If it wasn't so funny, I'd feel sorry for them.

I've used an Android for nearly seven years but I have an iPad that my wife gave me some years ago when she got a newer iPad, so I'm familiar with the iOS interface. My revulsion for iPhones stemmed not from the devices, but from the company, and from its fanatical users. Many times here, I've said that I'd love to be at one of these "launches" where these people stand in line all night to get the latest iPhone or whatever, to knock them down like bowling pins with a high-pressure fire hose. Wait, let me pause for a moment to reflect on that thought...

I don't make a lot of phone calls, I don't receive a lot of phone calls. I text barely at all. If smartphones disappeared from this planet tomorrow, I'd have a drink and dance a little dance.

Know what I mean?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
What is this "Wallet" stuff?

Wallet is where you set up your credit card[s] to use with Apple Pay. Using Apple Pay is perhaps the most secure form of in person, electronic payment. If the POS terminal supports Apple Pay, bring up Wallet (double-click the side button), select the card you want to use, hold the phone to the screen, and authenticate with Face ID. Your CC number is never transmitted to the POS terminal. Apple makes up an imaginary, one-time-use number for each transaction.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10787 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parra you scare me sometimes. Your cellphone post caused me to check and see if I had posted it.how two people can think so much alike on so many subjects baffles me.Cellphones are like old men's penises if and when and where they work is always a surprise. don't ask me how I know.

Posts: 8 | Registered: July 12, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I really liked the old iPhones i’ve owned. Then and Android came along and it was fine.
Now i have an iPhone 12 Pro and i hate it with passion.
It will do as it pleases and not what i intend to do. Wonder what happened with the old models that were smart like me? Really not feeling the love with this “smart” iThingy.

Will run for an Android if this phone suffers an “accident”

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Having used both an iPhone and Android phones, I think that change is the most difficult. The IOS infrastructure is so tightly managed by Apple that shifting away from it into the world of Android (that is not tightly managed to put it mildly), really can un-nerve a user. Personally, I think both software environments have their pluses and minuses, so it really comes down to the user's expectations and needs. For me, Android provides me the ability to fully sculpt the user environment to exactly what I want it to be, something I can't do in IOS.

This is what I was trying to say, you nailed it in adult language. So +1 this was my experience changing from Samsung to Apple. I will say it was easy to do though, and can see it being harder the other way around.

The firehose, Amen to that Big Grin . They line up here like lemmings in the mall. Mindless, sheep lemmings.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6969 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many times here, I've said that I'd love to be at one of these "launches" where these people stand in line all night to get the latest iPhone or whatever, to knock them down like bowling pins with a high-pressure fire hose.
Which is what makes you finally getting an iPhone so funny

quote:
I don't make a lot of phone calls, I don't receive a lot of phone calls. I text barely at all. If smartphones disappeared from this planet tomorrow, I'd have a drink and dance a little dance.

Know what I mean?
I know what you mean, but I fall into a different category of users.

Like you: I make and receive relatively few calls. One or two a week, if that. I probably text more than you because, if it's not a "right away" communication, I'll text instead of calling.

But, unlike you, I use my mobile device for a lot of non-communications purposes. E.g.:
  • Weather
  • Navigation (both on- and off-road
  • Calendaring (appointments, event reminders, etc.)
  • Alarms
  • Home security system and automation
  • Controlling my hearing aids
  • Encrypted keyring (password safe)
  • Electronic funds (Apple Pay, Venmo, PayPal, banking)
  • Learning apps (Golf training, language)
  • Fitness tracking
  • Camera
  • Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)
And more

So, for me, it's as much a pocket computer as it is a communications device. Thus: While I'm not glued to it, per se, day-in and day-out, I do use it every day and would sorely miss it were it taken from my life.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Many times here, I've said that I'd love to be at one of these "launches" where these people stand in line all night to get the latest iPhone or whatever, to knock them down like bowling pins with a high-pressure fire hose.
Which is what makes you finally getting an iPhone so funny

quote:

Know what I mean?
I know what you mean, but I fall into a different category of users.

Like you: I make and receive relatively few calls. One or two a week, if that. I probably text more than you because, if it's not a "right away" communication, I'll text instead of calling.

But, unlike you, I use my mobile device for a lot of non-communications purposes. E.g.:
  • Weather
  • Navigation (both on- and off-road
  • Calendaring (appointments, event reminders, etc.)
  • Alarms
  • Home security system and automation
  • Controlling my hearing aids
  • Encrypted keyring (password safe)
  • Electronic funds (Apple Pay, Venmo, PayPal, banking)
  • Learning apps (Golf training, language)
  • Fitness tracking
  • Camera
  • Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)
And more

So, for me, it's as much a pocket computer as it is a communications device. Thus: While I'm not glued to it, per se, day-in and day-out, I do use it every day and would sorely miss it were it taken from my life.

I'm in about the same position as ensigmatic with respect to the use of my iPhone, except I don't control my hearing aids or do fitness tracking, but I'll add travel apps and storing my boarding passes and Mrs. Flash's on my phone.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Regarding the dial lens apertures on the iPhone- I asked the T-Mobile guy about this and he said "It helps the focus." Well, that's one way of putting it. The second lens is a macro lens, correct? And a damn good one, from what I hear. I haven't played with the camera much as of yet.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
The camera has always been an attractive feature. Software does pretty good.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Regarding the dial lens apertures on the iPhone- I asked the T-Mobile guy about this and he said "It helps the focus." Well, that's one way of putting it. The second lens is a macro lens, correct? And a damn good one, from what I hear. I haven't played with the camera much as of yet.

Like all things photo capture, there's a learning curve if you want to take advantage of "all features great and small". (see what I did there Big Grin) I try to lean the things most useful to me. My wife... nope activate the camera and fire off the shutter. She get's some pretty good looking images despite not tweaking things. I think Apple makes it that way.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
I think Apple makes it that way.

And they do a very good job of it. Something I never thought I'd say about Apple.

I designed, redesigned and programmed around 700 situation rooms all over the United States, and had to design the GUI for the touchpanels for all of them so I can appreciate a well done GUI.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about the world's clearest, toughest, cheapest screen protector? Big Grin

I have, for several iPhone models, used the ESR brand tempered glass screen protectors. On my current phone, an XS model purchased 3 years ago (purchased 6 months after its 2018 release), I am still using the ESR screen protector that I originally installed. They cost a bit more, but come in a 2 pack. There is absolutely no interference with the touch screen.

As to cases, many good recommendations have been made. I have always gone with the Apple leather case, though. It adds hardly any thickness, width, or length. And the leather model (vs the similar silicone one), slides in your pocket easiest, while still giving some "grip" to the otherwise very slippery phone itself. Perhaps a bit more expensive than some other brands, but I keep a phone for a while, and it gives excellent protection. My current leather case is all scuffed and scarred, but the phone is pristine.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10787 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:

Know what I mean?

I know what you mean.

I bought my first iPhone in 2009, a 3G, upgraded to a 4 several years later, then switched to a Samsung a couple years after that. Two years ago, after a dozen years, I got off the smartphone merry go round and went back to a basic dumbphone with no data service, a Sonim XP5s. 20 day battery life, even after two years. I'm more than satisfied with this, voice calls, occasional texts, and rare low grade photos are all I need. My current phone is almost an invisible device, since I don't hold it constantly, look at it, fiddle with it at all.

I won't use a phone to pay for stuff, to look at menus, to start my car, etc. Not for me.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Apple News"? Yeah, no bias there, I imagine. Roll Eyes

It’s not a news service like CNN, it’s just compiles news stories from around the internet. You can also tell it to ignore any news site you don’t want to get news from. Under the “Following” tab, you can add in websites and topics to tune your news preferences.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post