SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Despite everything, I've ended up with an iPhone
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Despite everything, I've ended up with an iPhone Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
The only smartphone I've owned before today was an Android, a Samsung Galaxy S5 I purchased through Verizon in June, 2015. The wife got herself an iPhone 6 at the same time.

Over the past three or so years, I've slowly lost functionality with the phone, not because of any problems with the device itself, but because it's so old, the phone stopped receiving OS updates, and applications I've used stopped working because the phone wouldn't accept newer versions of these apps. This became a genuine pain in the ass. It seemed like every time I turned around, something else had stopped working on the phone.

For more than a year, I was getting offers from T-Mobile for couple age 55 or older, so we finally visited T-Mobile today and received prompt and excellent service. Both the wife and I ended up with free iPhone 13 phones, 128 GB and will now be paying 29.00 less per month than we had been with Verizon.

Despite my contempt for Apple, it was too good a deal to pass up, and it was becoming silly, trying to get a 7 year old phone to do what I needed from it.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the dark side!

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
I have said many times that I would never have a IPhone or a Glock. I now have an IPhone and 2 Glocks. Smile

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1489 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I have a love/hate relationship with Apple. My first smart phone was a 6S and it worked great for years til I got my 11 last year. They make a quality product.

My Macbook Pro is going on about 13 years now and still great. Can't believe it!

Apple stock has also been very good to me.

Now if the company would only lose it's damn woke ways....that ain't happening.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
ha

Steve Jobs is calling.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you like to jailbreak your phone, add functionality, personalize it at a “coding” level you will hate your iPhone. If you just want it to work, are willing to learn a different op system, and have it connect to other Apple device seamlessly you will love it.

A cell phone is just a device to me. iPhones work great. I had my 6+ for years and years and only updated it this year when my entire family did. It’s a 12 Pro. Works great. It’s more phone than I need and want probably. When it craps itself I will go back smaller.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
All the tech companies are woke so don't let that part bother you.
The truth is, their operation is really great once you get over a short learning curve. Most of the time I was overthinking due to experiences with other phone brands, making things much harder than needed.
My most recent upgrade was from a 6 to a 12 and all I had to do was tack a picture of the QR code that came up on the screen of the old one and in less than a minute all my info and settings were in my new phone with zero other effort.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
LOL

Never say never.

Big Grin

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy a good case. They are pricey but you will not regret it.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Please ley us know your thoughts as I am also contemplating a switch from Android.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Strong is the Dark Side

I went though the exact same genesis as you, boss: Swore I'd never own a smart phone. Bought an Android smart phone. Swore I'd never own an iThing. Bought, first, an iPad, then an iPhone.

A word or two of advice: It won't operate quite like your familiar old Android device. In some ways it'll remain frustratingly different. In other ways it'll prove delightfully different.

After ±6 years with Android phones, followed by ±7 years with iPhones, there are still things about Android I miss, but I'm disinclined to go back (*).

One thing you'll probably like for sure: You'll continue to receive timely OS updates on the iPhone for... 5-6 years? And when the battery gets tired you'll be able to get it replaced at an Apple store relatively economically.

(*) I write "disinclined," rather than "I'll never" because I have become somewhat disillusioned with Apple, of late. Disillusioned to the point I've dropped a number of Apple subscription products, cancelled my Apple Card, and have suspended plans to buy any new/replacement Apple products.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Buy a good case. They are pricey but you will not regret it.

I've always bought an aftermarket case and they weren't all that expensive and there are an endless number to choose from.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lifelock is a good one. Run over by a car, good as new.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like the Glock, its hard to argue against the IPhone success.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Otter box is the way to go. I’ve dropped phones, they’ve leapt to certain doom in the parking lot, and just generally treated them badly (not intentionally). But I know my otter box has saved me from getting a new phone more than once.

Never had the problem when I was policing because my uniform shirt pocket was the perfect size for the phone. But now they’re bigger and I don’t wear shirts with pockets anymore….retirement has its perks.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Glock of smartphones Big Grin

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've been in the Apple family for many years. Fan boy?... I wouldn't characterize myself as that, bbut I do appreciate the solid gear and innovation Apple brings. I also had Android phones in the past and as far as security, timely updates and general ease of use it's hard to beat a late version of the iPhone. Lot's to learn coming from Android. Maybe sign up for the daily iDrop news email which is everything Apple, but not from Apple. Good stuff.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using iPhone. Not a fan boy as I’ve plenty of complaints. However, I choose the evil that is iPhone dramatically over the evil that is google and Samsung combined. I’ve no love for either google or Samsung or Korea in general. I acknowledge that they have positive traits as well but for now, apple is definitely the lessor of two - three evils for me. That being said, Samsung phones have some very cool features.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I find them extremely frustrating. I only use my work iphone for phone and email. Which they do just as well as an Android. For anything else I won't use it. I need a back button and finger print unlock.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I started out with Apple Computers when they were fairly new, around 1980 or so. When the first PCs came out, there was niche market engineering software that I needed and used, so I dropped apple and never looked back.

However, when the iPhones came out, I saw some great functionality plus ease of use which was important for Mrs. Flash.

So I went to the dark side with iPhones and I've been there ever since. I used one extensively in my business and still use one a lot when I travel. It's better and faster than the Airlines for finding out what's going on with Gates and baggage claim and stores inside the secure area and also for TSA's checkpoints and regulations.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post