SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Despite everything, I've ended up with an iPhone
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Despite everything, I've ended up with an iPhone Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I had a glass protector on my first iPhone. After a while it became cloudy and figured I'd just take it off and risk it. I've been risking it ever since with no problems. I think a good case does will do all the protecting you need if you're reasonably careful.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38641 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I took my iPhone X to the Apple store to have a defective battery replace (no charge). I asked the dude if they would put a screen protector on it.

"Yup, he said, we have a couple different ones; which one do you want?"

I asked him which one he uses, he said he doesn't use one. Not needed. The Corning Gorilla Glass on the phone is very tough.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down With The Sickness
Picture of Sclass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
My revulsion for iPhones stemmed not from the devices, but from the company, and from its fanatical users. Many times here, I've said that I'd love to be at one of these "launches" where these people stand in line all night to get the latest iPhone or whatever, to knock them down like bowling pins with a high-pressure fire hose. Wait, let me pause for a moment to reflect on that thought...

Exactly how I felt when I placed an order for an electric car. I like the Ford Mustang Mach E. It checks the right boxes for me so I'm buying one. I do not want be associated with the self righteous green freaks that flock to battery electric vehicles and want to force everyone else into driving one.

Posts: 659 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: December 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I had a glass protector on my first iPhone. After a while it became cloudy and figured I'd just take it off and risk it. I've been risking it ever since with no problems. I think a good case does will do all the protecting you need if you're reasonably careful.

I'd say the opposite, screen protector is most important, the case less so. I use both.

I've never seen one get cloudy, not once using various brands of tempered glass protectors over the last decade. I don't even buy expensive ones 3 for $10 +/-.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20807 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
My revulsion for iPhones stemmed not from the devices, but from the company, and from its fanatical users.

Pretty much my take too.
Even though I guess you could say I am anti-Apple ~ it is not because of the quality of their products but is indeed the Company.
Along with my view their products are not made for Business among a plethora of other related reasons.
I've always made my living on the back of Microsoft, Intel and a few others so I guess the competitive part is in play too.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I'd say the opposite, screen protector is most important, the case less so. I use both.

I've never seen one get cloudy, not once using various brands of tempered glass protectors over the last decade. I don't even buy expensive ones 3 for $10 +/-.

So would I. I've had screen protectors on my phones and Mrs. Flash's phones as long as I've had phones, which is pretty much from the start.

I've never seen a cloudy one either in all those years, but then I always get tempered glass, not cheap plastic and maybe that explains it.

Start looking at women's phones when they're walking around talking and you'll see that a substantial number of them have cracked screens and no screen protector. That pretty well speaks for itself.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought Apple stock about 2 weeks after 911 took place. At the time the cost was 52.50 per share, since then it's been thru a 7 for 1 and a 4 for 1 split and on today's closing it's at 178.96. So I am a bit of a fan of Apple, the dividends have paid for at least 4 of my competition shotguns. BTW, I shoot Skeet, the sport where you will always "need" another shotgun.

As for the Iphone, I have an XR provided by work. At some point I'll probably have to pay for one myself because I will be going semi retired in May.

One big plus for Apple is that there customer service is a first class operation, I've never been on hold longer than about 15 minutes and 5 to 7 minutes is sort of typical. In addition the techs know what they are doing and have an amazing capacity to remain calm with someone who is near ballistic.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
My revulsion for iPhones stemmed not from the devices, but from the company, and from its fanatical users.

Pretty much my take too.
Even though I guess you could say I am anti-Apple ~ it is not because of the quality of their products but is indeed the Company.
Along with my view their products are not made for Business among a plethora of other related reasons.
I've always made my living on the back of Microsoft, Intel and a few others so I guess the competitive part is in play too.

The graphic arts, print prepress and video editing sectors are heavily Mac oriented. Yes, these things can be done on a MS box, but the security and reliability both hardware and software drives these industries to Apple products. When I had my print business, we supported both platforms out of necessity, but all of our graphic artists and prepress people by far preferred the Mac platform.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
After having this phone for a few days I can say I'm pleased. It's so nice having a phone on which all the apps work. It's not a fair to compare a seven year old phone to a new one, but I get the feeling the features and "adjustability" of this iPhone are a cut above what's available now with Androids.

I chose the Spigen case for it. It's gonna work out fine.

Posts: 107482 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The processor on the “antiquated” IPhone SE Gen 3 (2022) is apparently better than anything android that exists currently.

It’s interesting when the processor in Apple’s watch they market to those hardcore/ stuck in their ways fans who love the home button and don’t give a flip about the latest and greatest technological farkles smokes the best android. Cool It’s price tag is equally as impressive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
At the risk of angering a few folks I'm going to ask a question that's slightly off-topic. However, "bong" got close to my question - I think it was on page 5. The question is this: Have you ever met anyone who bought a smartphone, tried to use it, and then after much frustration and many tears finally gave up & put the phone away - never to be used again? Serious question... but my hunch is that you have never met anyone in that sorry situation. Well, I am one. Fought that battle for about a year & then finally admitted to myself that I just didn't have the brains. So tell me -> Am I the only one on this forum who falls into this category? ((And Para, thanks so much for letting me stray from the original course for a moment.))

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jtedescucci,

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
My laptops are PCs and my tablets are Samsung. When I was first issued a smart phone for work, it was an iPhone. When I bought my own smart phone, I tried an Android and it quickly became frustrating with managing the memory. There were programs I can move to the micro SD and there were programs I had to keep on the phone memory. And I quickly filled up the phone memory. I switched to an iPhone 7+ in 2016 and that's the one I still use.

It's pretty fool proof and easy to use.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19641 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In a couple of weeks it will be a year since I switched from an Android to an iPhone and I have to say that I don't miss the Android at all.

I realize it's not fair to compare an Android that was close to seven years old when I stopped using it, to an iPhone 13. I'm certain the new phones using the Android OS are fine.

I won't be going back, though. My iPhone is trouble-free and fast and has all the functionality I need, and then some. The camera is fantastic. It really does feel like a true all-in-one device in my pocket.

I still despise the Apple True Believers- the people who would rush to buy a steaming bowel movement if Apple announced it for sale. I'd love to have a fire hose and knock the feet right out from under those Apple fanatics who cue up in line to throw their money at Apple.

I'm never standing in a line for Apple anything, except maybe apple pie. And apple turnovers, maybe some apple dumplings.

THIS HAS BEEN THE ANNUAL "I LOVE MY IPHONE BUT HATE APPLE" REPORT

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post

I'm in a similar boat: I like my iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Apple TVs well enough. I don't particularly like Apple, the company.

I like Google even less, though, and Apple device integration is pretty much unbeatable, so I don't see us likely ever switching back to Android.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty much all in on Apple stuff outside of work with pc's there. Kinda like Glock, Apple's easy and fun to hate but generally they just work.

Posts: 3445 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
For desktop computing, I'm still a Windows guy, but that could change when Microsoft stops supporting Windows 10.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

For desktop computing, I'm still a Windows guy, but that could change when Microsoft stops supporting Windows 10.
That used to be my stance too. I thought that Macs were way over-priced, then I tried a used one and was pleasantly surprised.

I spend much less time dealing with the system stuff and doing admin type tasks with the Mac, as opposed to what I had to do with a Windows machine.

Mac OS updates are free, so I can always use the most current version of the OS that the hardware will support. I do have a couple of Macs that are more than ten years old and running just fine; they do not support the current version of the OS, but they chug right along with the newest version that they can use.

Never had to do an OS re-install to get things un-fucked, as I had to do more than once with Windows.

I'm not a fan of some of their company policies, but their stuff works for me without headaches, and the integration between device types (desktop, phone, tablet) is outstanding.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont do the Apple immediate gratification ritual when they introduce a new model. I stay about 2 model years behind and save a ton of money by not buying a new phone every time one comes out. Like Apple or not, their phones just work!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I find them extremely frustrating...I need a back button...

Me Too! It's really the only reason I havent switched.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:

I still despise the Apple True Believers- the people who would rush to buy a steaming bowel movement if Apple announced it for sale.

Welcome to the collective. While I don’t consider myself fanatical, I am a self described fan-boi.

I was anti-apple for years based on price alone. After learning “total cost” (resale of used when upgrading, included office suite, no-charge OS updates, etc.) I realized Apple was the better deal for me.

Haven’t looked back and don’t tend to.

That said, unless I can get a screaming deal like new release trade in promo (my iPhone 13 Pro Max cost me a whopping $100 with iPhone 11 trade in) I try to wait until new models hit the Apple refurb pipeline.

The refurbs are generally 15% off, and veteran/govt/teacher etc gives another 10% off.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10926 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post