SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Dead at 87
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 55
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Dead at 87 Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Looks like the ouija board is no help with this one. She may be just getting her second wind again.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So do we think her illness is getting toward "end-stage" status??

A lot of people including myself hopes Trump nominates Amy Coney Barrett for RBG replacement in the future. The Left will lose their minds. Razz

Posts: 1293 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Does Judge Barrett already have a security guard?

Posts: 16143 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So do we think her illness is getting toward "end-stage" status??

From what little truth(medical-lab-pathology-etc.) that has been released to the public, I fear that this lady is in Stage 4 metastatic Pancreatic Carcinoma. It appears that Sloan-Kettering Hosp. is using palliative(not curative) treatments for any new malignant lesions that show up. She is no candidate for any major surgical procedures, and none would be curative. Just my WAG!!

Posts: 6693 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If one examines the official press release on her condition, words have been chosen carefully. My bolds.

https://www.breitbart.com/news...r-pancreatic-cancer/
quote:
A statement by the Supreme Court said doctors first discovered an abnormality with her pancreas during a routine blood test in early July. A biopsy performed July 31 confirmed a malignant tumor. Bad news for patient. Means cancerous mass

In addition to the radiation, doctors placed a bile duct stent, which the statement said she tolerated “well.” used for advanced pancreatic cancer to relieve duct blockage due to tumor growth, causing pain.

“She canceled her annual summer visit to Santa Fe, but has otherwise maintained an active schedule,” the Supreme Court statement said. “ The tumor was treated definitively and there is no evidence of disease elsewhere in the body. NIH definition of "definitive treatment" (deh-FIH-nih-tiv TREET-ment) The treatment plan for a disease or disorder that has been chosen as the best one for a patient after all other choices have been considered.

“Justice Ginsburg will continue to have periodic blood tests and scans. No further treatment is needed at this time.” No further treatment is needed because there is nothing else they can do. Most likely the tumor is still there, surgery and chemo not considered.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17113 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yup...that is VERY interesting how all that was worded, Oddball. I reflect back on Patrick Swayze when he was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. He lived only 20 months after being diagnosed and that was it.

So how long has it been since RBG was diagnosed? I heard the thing about Pancreatic Cancer is that, barring any other symptoms that might raise a need to test for it, once one starts having symptoms and it's discovered and diagnosed as Pancreatic Cancer, it's usually in a VERY advanced stage and the survival rate is EXTREMELY low.

Here's one source:

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I think Oddball’s assessment may be correct....from the ACS

Survival Rates
According to the American Cancer Society, for all stages of pancreatic cancer combined, the one-year relative survival rate is 20%, and the five-year rate is 7%. These low survival rates are attributable to the fact that fewer than 20% of patients’ tumors are confined to the pancreas at the time of diagnosis; in most cases, the malignancy has already progressed to the point where surgical removal is impossible.

In those cases where resection can be performed, the average survival rate is 23 to 36 months. The overall five-year survival rate is about 10%, although this can rise as high as 20% to 35% if the tumor is removed completely and when cancer has not spread to lymph nodes.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6461 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When in school, I was told that pancreatic cancer in the tail of the pancreas can result in a long time until death. However cancer in the head of the pancreas is nearly always fatal, and the person goes fairly quickly.

I suspect that the hospital is providing no more treatment as there is nothing that they can do other than palliative. I also suspect that she will be gone by the end of this year.

-c1steve

Posts: 4117 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

No further treatment is needed at this time.”

Yeah, that reads to me that "No further treatment is POSSIBLE."

And, based on how nasty this stuff can be, she doesn't have that much long. Pain management is likely all they can do at this point.

I don't wish her ill, but I WILL be glad to see President Trump's replacement for her on the Court.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21910 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Steve Jobs had a net worth of around 21 BILLION dollars but that still wasn’t enough to stop Pancreatic cancer from killing him. He did fight it for seven years but he was much younger.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4172 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Jobs isn't a good case to compare with. When he was diagnosed, he chose to try "alternative medicine" first. By the time he figured out that wasn't working, and went for modern medical treatment, it was too late.

FWIW, RBG was first diagnosed with and treated for pancreatic cancer in 2009. She was also treated for colon cancer in 1999.

quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Steve Jobs had a net worth of around 21 BILLION dollars but that still wasn’t enough to stop Pancreatic cancer from killing him. He did fight it for seven years but he was much younger.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Steve Jobs had pancreatic neuroendocrine cancer which is a far less common type of cancer of the pancreas and has significantly longer survival rate.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/...ii/S2210740118301517

https://www.carcinoid.org/2011...umors-a-rare-cancer/

Posts: 9823 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Another home run from Schlichter.

"Get Ready For Apocalypse Ruth"

"And when this all goes down, the left will freak out in a festival of freaking outness unparalleled in American history. The Dem candidates will go nuts. Big Chief Warren will be on the warpath, Bernie will call for revolution, Harris will say whatever she thinks is useful, Biden will start talking about how JFK visited him in the White House, and Beto will continue to be a furry."

https://townhall.com/columnist...alypse-ruth-n2552156

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It's like the death scene of Skeksis emperor from the Dark Crystal.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34353 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Tick,tick,tick.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Another home run from Schlichter.

"Get Ready For Apocalypse Ruth"

"And when this all goes down, the left will freak out in a festival of freaking outness unparalleled in American history. The Dem candidates will go nuts. Big Chief Warren will be on the warpath, Bernie will call for revolution, Harris will say whatever she thinks is useful, Biden will start talking about how JFK visited him in the White House, and Beto will continue to be a furry."

https://townhall.com/columnist...alypse-ruth-n2552156

If she passes before the next election the meltdown on the left will be epic. Indelible in the National hippocampus level epic.

Posts: 2051 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I would bet that Team Trump has a short list of candidates and had teams of people going through their personal and professional histories with a very very fine tooth comb.

It's not going to stop the leftist freakout, which will be epic BTW, but you know they have as much as they possibly can on each on to know what might be coming.

I strongly think it would be a female appointee if there is one qualified and able to bear the storm.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
If she kicks the bucket, the temper tantrum will be epic. I hope the timid jellyfish around Trump don't convince him to water his pick down to placate the animals.

The left is going to spit on this woman's grave for her selfishness. She's going to go in the ground despised by everyone.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I would bet that Team Trump has a short list of candidates and had teams of people going through their personal and professional histories with a very very fine tooth comb.

It's not going to stop the leftist freakout, which will be epic BTW, but you know they have as much as they possibly can on each on to know what might be coming.

I strongly think it would be a female appointee if there is one qualified and able to bear the storm.

I think the replacement is all picked out.

https://www.scotusblog.com/201...e-amy-coney-barrett/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:

I think the replacement is all picked out.

https://www.scotusblog.com/201...e-amy-coney-barrett/
I would agree. I'm sure they have prepared fast track scenarios; how fast they can ram it through.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post