SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Dead at 87
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 55
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Dead at 87 Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Hooooo boy, a Supreme Court vacancy in the middle of the campaign for 2020 would just about be more than this country could handle.

First will be the Merrick Garland precedent. How dare we confirm someone when we should let the public decide who gets to fill the seat. Then if McConnell can hold the caucus together on that question, the fight to replace an ultra-liberal icon with an ultra-conservative like Amy Coney Barrett will make the Kavanaugh confirmation seem like a cordial affair. The left will go thermonuclear. The idea of a court solidly tilted to the right will cause shock and panic on the left. RGB is so lionized by the left and her position on the court is seen as so important to the left's strategy of implementing their agenda through the judicial branch that I think we would see riots and even violence on a scale not seen since the 60s

Fun times they will be.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
An opening on the SCOTUS right now would distract the left from their current trajectory- Orange Man Racist, confiscate all guns, etc. It would be the best possible thing for us because all of it would be put aside while these wild-eyesd maniacs chew off their own limbs.

Posts: 107597 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Easy guys, she's still here.
If it plays out it could be a game changer, or not.
Not all of the recent picks have followed the script.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm at parade rest, man. I am saying, quite simply, that if this is it for Ginsburg, it would be to our advantage.

They say she beat pancreatic cancer, but it doesn't sound like it. It sounds as if the cancer slowed or went into remission for a time, but now is back. My feeling is that she will be gone in less than six months. In the past, it has certainly looked that way for her, so she may still be kicking when I am in the ground. Just a feeling I have, but I think that ol' Ruthy is in her endgame.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43884 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
She will be gone. A new SCOTUS Justice will be in. And President Trump will stay in the White House another 4 years. Cool

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I heard it here first!! Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What will be interesting is to see if the leftists are stupid enough to try the same failed smear tactics as those they used against Kavanaugh. I'd wager that after that shameful fiasco, a lot more people in this country are attuned to the bullshit these phonies pulled. Also, you can bet that the Trump administraion will be beyond careful when choosing their nominee. They'll do their best to choose someone who is as close to bullet proof as possible.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I wish no harm on the woman. I may not agree with her but she is living history and a tough old girl. Honestly I think she’d be a hoot to have a drink with and have a discussion.

All that said if she passes or steps down the left will.....

LOSE THEIR SHIT!!! I mean epically. I mean political Chernobyl. If nothing else it will be entertaining.(the shit show not her death/I would take no joy in that)

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
What will be interesting is to see if the leftists are stupid enough to try the same failed smear tactics as those they used against Kavanaugh. I'd wager that after that shameful fiasco, a lot more people in this country are attuned to the bullshit these phonies pulled. Also, you can bet that the Trump administraion will be beyond careful when choosing their nominee. They'll do their best to choose someone who is as close to bullet proof as possible.

They already did a trial run of their strategy on Brian Buescher: attack the Catholic for being too Catholic to make a ruling without consulting church dogma. They didn't get enough pushback to discourage them from doing it again, even though he got confirmed.

Coney Barrett will be confirmed but there will be blood, some during, more after, I reckon.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
All that said if she passes or steps down the left will.....

LOSE THEIR SHIT!!! I mean epically. I mean political Chernobyl.
They'll be slobbering on themselves, speaking in tongues and chewing off their own limbs. They'll run full speed, face-first into brick walls, tear out their hair, jump en-masse off of cliffs, assuming there are cliffs from which to jump. They'll drive their cars into the ocean, or a lake or swimming pool, whatever body of water is nearest. They'll stab tthemselves in the face with screwdrivers and declare all of existence null and void and an offense to the Universe itself.

It will be the most spectacular pay-per-view event in history, never to be equaled.

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
https://babylonbee.com/news/ha...07rMKF-WExvY15NfumfQ

----------------------------

Half-Human, Half-Robot Justice Enters Supreme Court, Introduces Self As Ruth Bader Gins-Borg

(The Babylon Bee)

WASHINGTON, D.C.—Yesterday after the United States Supreme Court opened and justices began filing in, a half-robot, half-human with the face of Ruth Bader Ginsburg entered wielding an arm cannon, body armor, enhanced retinal targeting, and an integrated jetpack. “I AM RUTH BADER GINS-BORG. PLEASE PROCEED,” the cybernetic justice said to her colleagues, then reclined in her provided Windsor chair which was instantly crushed under the weight of her new cybernetic body.

Overall, Gins-Borg performed well, never falling asleep or showing any signs of fatigue. “She didn’t even blink,” said Judge Sonya Sotomayor who claims the cyborg justice stared at her for a large portion of the proceedings with one empty, soulless eye. At one point Sonya quietly whispered into the vacant robot woman’s ear, “is that you in there Ruth? What have they done to you?”

Some concerns were raised when an abortion bill was brought before the court and Ginsborg began repeatedly shouting, “TERMINATE. TERMINATE. TERMINATE!” Technicians were brought in and, after a brief reboot, court resumed as usual.

“Any concern that Ruth will be resigning her chair can be put to rest at this point,” said lead technician Robert Cornell. “She’s now running on the most powerful lithium-ion battery in the world, is plated with titanium body armor, runs on an Intel Xeon processor, and can get a strong wifi signal practically anywhere.” Ginsborg’s technicians believe she will remain on the court centuries after everyone on this Earth is dead and gone.

Ginsburg made history as the second female appointed to the court by Bill Clinton in 1993.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
An opening on the SCOTUS right now would distract the left from their current trajectory- Orange Man Racist, confiscate all guns, etc.

Her death will unleash a whole other level of TDS. The Democrats will re-invent themselves into something entirely ungodly different. "Out of control" doesn't even begin to describe it.

It's in their nature. The shitstorm will be one for the ages.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16701 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm at parade rest, man. I am saying, quite simply, that if this is it for Ginsburg, it would be to our advantage.

They say she beat pancreatic cancer, but it doesn't sound like it. It sounds as if the cancer slowed or went into remission for a time, but now is back. My feeling is that she will be gone in less than six months. In the past, it has certainly looked that way for her, so she may still be kicking when I am in the ground. Just a feeling I have, but I think that ol' Ruthy is in her endgame.

I can’t say it better, these are my feelings on the matter. On one hand lies the balance of our republic, on the other, I dare not contemplate right now.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
They'll be slobbering on themselves, speaking in tongues and chewing off their own limbs. They'll run full speed, face-first into brick walls, tear out their hair, jump en-masse off of cliffs, assuming there are cliffs from which to jump. They'll drive their cars into the ocean, or a lake or swimming pool, whatever body of water is nearest. They'll stab tthemselves in the face with screwdrivers and declare all of existence null and void and an offense to the Universe itself.

It will be the most spectacular pay-per-view event in history, never to be equaled.
So what you're saying is they would turn into the fast-moving zombies as in World War Z. That's some scary stuff!!! Eek

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
I disagree with just about everything she says but, I wish her the best in her battle. Cancer sucks.

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Rather surprising, but RBG and Scalia were pals. Lunching together, etc.

That doesn't surprise me at all. I'm friends, or at least friendly with many people in different parts of the political spectrum from where I land on any number of issues.

I'd like to see Justice Ginsberg retire and focus on her health. I disagree with many of her judicial opinions, but I respect her, and more importantly I neither wish her ill will nor wish her anything but the best of luck in this fight of her life.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hile:
I'd like to see Justice Ginsberg retire and focus on her health.

Might as well wish Hillary to confess to her sins and crimes.

RBG will NOT retire. Given her "performance" in recent years, she logically should have retired 5 years ago.

The ONLY WAY she will leave her seat is to die. If/when she becomes incapacitated, she will still hold on to her seat.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16701 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yucaipa:
I disagree with just about everything she says but, I wish her the best in her battle. Cancer sucks.

+1

I can't stand her but cancer is something that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Posts: 7553 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
You can bet that, were RBG to leave the Court after 31 Dec 2019, the Left WILL invoke the Merrick Garland incident and insist that the precedent of not confirming a Justice during a Presidential Election year be honored.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post