SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Dead at 87
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 55
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Dead at 87 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Court TV broadcast what I think was the first ever live audio of SC hearings. I only caught a little of her, but was surprise to hear her seeming lucid, intelligent, and tuned in. My impression of her not really being able to perform her job was derived from her seeming to be hiding from scrutiny.

Was there video as well?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not be surprised by periods of lucidity. I also suspect long periods of just the opposite.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I would not be surprised by periods of lucidity. I also suspect long periods of just the opposite.

RBG strikes me as profoundly lucid and quick witted--when she's awake.

She's one of those old people who still absolutely has her faculties about her, she's just old and falls asleep, not to mention is at the end of her life and in and out of the hospital.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
she's just old and falls asleep

Yeah, during cases and then renders a decision having missed parts of arguments.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
She’s hanging on, hoping to see a Dem president elected this year.

When President Trump is reelected she’ll resign.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9092 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
quote:
she's just old and falls asleep

Yeah, during cases and then renders a decision having missed parts of arguments.
Highly doubtful. More likely, auntie Ruthie hasn't penned an opinion in years. You can bet her staff of un-American progressives decides what her position will be and pens her responses with little to no input from the napping fossil. Ruthie's been phoning this crap in for years.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
You'd have to be deluded to believe that. If Trump is re-elected, she and her supporters will use every option in modern medicine to try and hold out for the 2024 election. She'd opt to die before she ceded her seat to a Trump appointee.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
She'd opt to die before she ceded her seat to a Trump appointee.

Those terms are acceptable....

Posts: 23683 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
You'd have to be deluded to believe that. If Trump is re-elected, she and her supporters will use every option in modern medicine to try and hold out for the 2024 election. She'd opt to die before she ceded her seat to a Trump appointee.

We’ll see who’s right. I’m betting on me.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9092 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
When asked about whether or not she'd retire when Trump is re-elected, Justice Ginsburg's response was....

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
You'd have to be deluded to believe that. If When Trump is re-elected, she and her supporters will use every option in modern medicine to try and hold out for the 2024 election. She'd opt to die before she ceded her seat to a Trump appointee.

Whatever. She'll die upon learning of Trump re-election. Same thing.

Q

Posts: 26683 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
intelligent, and tuned in.

Not really the first words I'd use to describe Ginsburg.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16787 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
She's a tough old bird,get well soon Justice Ginsburg.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
When the end of the world occurs, the only survivors will be Keith Richards and Ruth Bader Ginzburg.

Of course, they won't be able to repopulate the planet, but by then, who'll be there to care?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Of course, they won't be able to repopulate the planet....

< reaches for brain bleach >

> chugs a gallon of it <

< no effect >

Thank you for the mental image of Richards and Ginsberg making the beast with two backs.

It would look like two Sphinx cats going at it.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31516 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
apparently she laid into the 9th Circus today....and reamed them new assholes

Posts: 53318 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

Not progressive enough?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31516 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

Not progressive enough?

El Linko

Ginsburg eviscerates 9th Circuit’s handling of immigration consultant's case

Authoring a unanimous Supreme Court opinion, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg tore into the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals for "drastically" straying from judicial norms when hearing a case involving a California immigration consultant.

After Evelyn Sineneng-Smith had been convicted of violating a federal law related to encouraging illegal immigration, the Ninth Circuit reversed the decision, not based on arguments presented by Sineneng-Smith, but by third parties the court brought in to submit arguments that the panel of judges themselves had suggested.

RUTH BADER GINSBURG RELEASED FROM HOSPITAL AFTER INFECTION

"[T]he appeals panel departed so drastically from the principle of party presentation as to constitute an abuse of discretion," Ginsburg wrote, later stating that "a court is not hidebound by the precise arguments of counsel, but the Ninth Circuit’s radical transformation of this case goes well beyond the pale."

The Supreme Court sent the case back down the Ninth Circuit "for reconsideration ... bearing a fair resemblance to the case shaped by the parties."

Sineneng-Smith had been convicted of violating a federal law against someone who "encourages or induces an alien to come to, enter, or reside in the United States" if they know they would be in the country illegally. That was after she charged clients who sought to apply for labor certifications to obtain legal status, prosecutors said, even though she knew they could not meet the application deadlines.

She argued that her conduct was not covered by the statute, and if it was it would be a violation of her First Amendment rights. After both sides submitted briefs and held oral arguments, the Ninth Circuit panel -- instead of deciding the case at that point -- invited the Federal Defender Organizations of the Ninth Circuit, the Immigrant Defense Project, and the National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild to file briefs.

SUPREME COURT UNANIMOUSLY REVERSES 'BRIDGEGATE' CONVICTIONS

The Ninth Circuit specifically outlined issues for them to discuss, including whether the law in question was unconstitutionally overbroad under the First Amendment -- an issue separate from any of Sineneng-Smith's arguments. They also gave the organizations 20 minutes to present oral arguments, compared to just 10 for Sineneng-Smith's lawyers.

The Ninth Circuit ended up overturning Sineneng-Smith's conviction based on the idea that the law was overbroad under the First Amendment.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Ginsburg wrote that the Ninth Circuit's actions undermined the principle that parties and their counsels are responsible for presenting their own case.

"There are no doubt circumstances in which a modest initiating role for a court is appropriate," Ginsburg wrote. "But this case scarcely fits that bill."

Posts: 23683 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifithitu:
She's a tough old bird,get well soon Justice Ginsburg.

If you're a RBG cheerleader, you're in the wrong place.

Posts: 1784 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifithitu:
get well soon Justice Ginsburg.

She needs to GTFO.

She needs to go. Interpret that however you wish.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16787 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post