SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Actor Jussie Smollett’s Criminal Trial to Begin After Years of Delay
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 34
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Actor Jussie Smollett’s Criminal Trial to Begin After Years of Delay Login/Join 
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
It looks like he hasn't done anything in the way of acting related work since 2019 too. (According to IMDB)

I hope this fraud of his costs him dearly financially, professionally, and personally.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the indomitable Dave Chapelle serves it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZXoErL2124

hilarious

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I heard he’s been writing a book: “Creative Ways to Boost Your Career”.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
He comes from a whole family of actors and such (all with J names, wretch...). One of his sisters is pretty talented, she was in Great Debaters and other things. I bet it's made for some tense family get togethers with the bullshit he's caused over this.

Big Grin

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only a racist would support this guy. He’s a common race baiting liar who’s career is kaput!
BUSTED! The elites will care for you.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I would love to see jail time upon conviction. We've seen so many of these hoaxes designed to stir up racial hatred. It's time to hand out a big dose of consequence "pour encourager les autre" as they say. It's not a victimless crime. Society as a whole is damaged every time someone tries to pull one of these hoaxes.

As a legal matter, jail time would be unusual in a case like this, but I am hoping the judge can see a couple aggravating factors that make incarceration warranted.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://hotair.com/john-s-2/20...-information-n432060

Dan K. Webb, the special prosecutor, laid out what he saw as Mr. Smollett’s motive in opening arguments of the actor’s trial on criminal charges that he lied to the police when he reported he had been the victim of a racist and homophobic attack.

In January 2019, Mr. Webb said, Mr. Smollett received an anonymous “actual hate letter,” which included a homophobic slur and a drawing of a stick figure hanging from a tree. The letter included the acronym “MAGA” made of cutout newspaper and magazine letters, he said, a reference to former President Donald J. Trump’s campaign slogan. Law enforcement has not been able to determine who sent the letter, Mr. Webb said.

“Therefore, he devised this fake hate crime to take place so that the ‘Empire’ studio would take this more seriously,” he said of Mr. Smollett, “because this fake hate crime would get media attention.”

“I want you to attack me, but when you hit me, I want you to kind of pull your punches a bit because I don’t want to get seriously hurt,” Smollett told them, according to Webb. Smollett also instructed them to put a rope around his neck to “make it look more like a lynching, like a hate crime,” Webb said.

The three men went on a “dry run” before the attack, part of which was captured on surveillance camera, Webb said. Smollett’s Mercedes can be seen circling the Streeterville intersection, showing the brothers the area where he wants the attack to occur, Webb said.

Smollett has always claimed innocence and said the attack on him was real but early on he was clearly trying to blame it on white fans of President Trump. Now it appears his defense is to claim the Osundairo brothers attacked him because they hated him:

Jussie Smollett “is a real victim” of a “real crime,” his attorney said during the ex-“Empire” actor’s trial Monday, despite prosecutors’ claim that he staged a homophobic and racist attack in Chicago.

Defense attorney Nenye Uche said two brothers attacked Smollett in January 2019 because they didn’t like him, and that a check the actor paid the men was for training so he could prepare for an upcoming music video. Uche also suggested a third attacker was involved.

“Jussie Smollett is a real victim,” Uche told jurors in a Chicago courtroom.

Posts: 19564 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Grasping at straws. Jussie is an incorrigible liar.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I would like to see the punishment for someone staging a hate crime equal to the punishment of the crime staged had it actually happened.

Such people not only ruin their own credibility, but cause the credibility of real victims to be questioned as well.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Wow, I'm actually surprised by the nonsense.

Shouldn't be, but damn, that's just... wow.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://news.yahoo.com/prosecu...trial-024200612.html

Prosecutors in the criminal trial of Jussie Smollett rested their case Thursday following the testimony of the two star witnesses in the case, two brothers who were allegedly recruited by the former “Empire” actor to carry out a phony hate crime attack in 2019.

Posts: 19564 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't been to 26th & Cal (California- where the court house is) in a long time. I actually wish I was there the end of last week and this week. There's another funny case going on at the same time. It's kinda like "which tv show should I watch?"

Just to watch these shitshows in person.

Jucy's team is going to double down on stupid, and it's not going to work out well for him.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smollett Lawyer Reportedly Demands Mistrial After Accusing Judge Of Lunging At Her

https://jonathanturley.org/202...e-of-lunging-at-her/

If you thought that Smollett case could not get more bizarre, think again. CBS 2 Legal Analyst Irv Miller is reporting that defense attorney Tamara Walker had a sidebar conversation with attorneys from both sides and Cook County Judge James Linn. She reportedly accused Judge Linn of some improper comment and then said that he lunged at her in the courtroom. She was crying during the sidebar. Another Smollett attorney accused Linn of snarling and making faces during the trial. In thirty years of practice as a criminal defense attorney, I have never heard of such allegations in a criminal trial.

The demand for a mistrial was rejected.

In a case where the defendant is accused of manufacturing a bizarre alleged attack, the allegation of a judge lunging at his counsel seems weirdly consistent. There is no indication if there is proof of such threatening act or the alleged faces being made from the bench.

The case itself is a train wreck of a defense. Counsel seems to be throwing out unsubstantiated claims or suggestions in cross examination, including affairs with Smollett. The evidence is overwhelming against Smollett who is alleged to have hired two Nigerian brothers to stage the attack. This allegedly included a “dry run” with the men.

From the outset, the attack was facially unbelievable in many of its details.

The unbelievable elements of the original allegation did not stop the media and many politicians from immediately denouncing the racist attack as a fact. Harris described what happened to Jussie Smollett as an “attempted modern-day lynching.” Nancy Pelosi said it was a “homophobic attack and an affront to our humanity.”

He was given a fawning interview by Robin Roberts of ABC, which ended with her calling his comments “beautiful.”

ROBERTS: It’s been two weeks since that night left actor Jussie Smollett bruised but not broken.

SMOLLETT: I still want to believe, with everything that has happened, that there’s something called justice. Because if I stop believing that, then what was it all for?

ROBERTS: Beautiful, thank you, Jussie.

On ABC’s The Talk one host objected “The media has really cast so much doubt on his story, which I find so personally offensive that a gay Black man is targeted and then suddenly he becomes the victim of people’s disbelief.”

That disbelief now extends to his lawyers. If a judge lunged at counsel and has been making faces from the bench, I would expect an emergency motion and possible appeal. Such a demand for recusal of a judge who is allegedly lunging at counsel would not ordinarily ended with a simple sidebar.

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

She reportedly accused Judge Linn of some improper comment and then said that he lunged at her in the courtroom. She was crying during the sidebar.

She cried. My goodness.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
Theatrics. They are grasping at straws.

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
We're only about one in-law shy of a pretty good episode of Jerry Springer.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
From 'The Babylon Bee'.

quote:
CHICAGO, IL—In a powerful, emotional moment in the Jussie Smollett trial Thursday, a mirror was brought into the courtroom so Smollett could face his attackers for the first time since he was beaten up on the streets of Chicago.

Smollett demanded to face his attackers to help him overcome the pain and trauma of the assault, and the judge obliged. He signaled for a bailiff, who brought in a tall mirror and held it up to Smollett. The actor wept as he looked his attackers right in the eye, facing them man to man.

"Everyone deserves to face their attackers so they can get closure and a sense of justice," said the presiding judge in the case. "Jussie is no different. The facts of this case are complicated, but that doesn't change the fact that Mr. Smollett wants to see justice done and get a sense of peace that he hasn't felt since he brutally attacked himself that fateful night."

Smollett looked at his attackers for a full minute before motioning to the judge, who had the mirror taken away. "Sometimes, the real attackers were inside you all along," said an emotional Smollett.

He says confronting his attackers has brought him peace, and he hopes they are convicted in this case.

Link

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Omg, the Babylon Bee Big Grin
That is cutting edge satire based on truth.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Jussie and his defense know it’s over. Any drama is designed to delay, distract and displace. Hopefully the judge won’t Allow himself to be played.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I hope we can get some good play by play action in the Juicy Smellett case this week

It sounds be a great distraction

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post