SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I also went to the ER recently and... (Bad News Bears pages 4, 37) (Bad Ass Family Photo page 49) (CT Scan Update page 59)
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 161
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I also went to the ER recently and... (Bad News Bears pages 4, 37) (Bad Ass Family Photo page 49) (CT Scan Update page 59) Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
I am not sure why I feel the need to write about all this happening when most people in a similar situation seems to be able to handle things in private.

Perhaps I need to see this in print and help me work things out.
At the margins, maybe what write and think will help someone else out who is going through the same thing.

lbj

I am not at all surprised. This forum is special, special in a way that folks who have not been here for multiple years can never really understand - most of us have not met each other, yet there are times I feel closer to some of the friends I have made here, than I do some members of my immediate family

We are all concerned for you and appreciate you sharing this part of your life with us. Hopefully you find some comfort in the pages of support you have received, and will continue to receive as you go thru whatever treatment you face. It should go without saying, but if you need 'anything', all you have to do is ask.

God Bless.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12350 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
My friend, there are those of us that are intimately interested in what you're going through. It is an interesting thing that we have friends we may never meet but that's what we are.

You keep posting and I'll keep reading.

Posts: 45394 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31432 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Knowledge is a great power. One of the best places I ever worked was General Research in Santa Barbara with Robert Poole.

We had meetings every two weeks or weekly as needed to discuss projects and their status and problems. There was a lot of experience in the room so others not working on a job could at times suggest a possible solution or source to help the person.

As cancer goes, it needs sugar to grow. I would cut out all food sources containing sugar. I would also join the Life Extension Foundation and call one of their doctors and ask for a nutritional plan to fight cancer. I would be taking vitamin D3 and CoEnzyme Q10 and numerous other supplements.

http://www.lifeextension.com/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm No Quitter
posted Hide Post
Our Prayers are with you lbj.

I have struggled for the past few days when first reading this.
Struggling .. wanting just the right words to come to me.

I have read post after post and they are all saying what we are feeling.
We all want you to know that we care about you and are praying for the best for you and your family.

I am a person of great faith.
That is my biggest ally.
I do believe in miracles and pray for these each day.
I have family members that drive me each day -- to asking God's Blessings.. in their names.
Each Day .. I feel his presence.

You have always been so kind to me and I have never forgotten that.
You are a friend --- as others have said -- that I will likely never meet in person.
None the less -- you are my friend.

Rest assured that your "Sig Forum Family" has your back and that the praying for you and your family -- will be ongoing.

If there is anything we can do for you and your family -- simply ask.

May God Bless and Comfort You and Your Family.

Respectfully yours,

Donna and Family

Posts: 4083 | Location: Lauderdale , Mississippi | Registered: June 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Wow, worth the wait and very nice words from you.

Patty and I are getting ready to leave for the urologist's office to get what news they have for us.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of people hoping and praying for you.

Count me as one of them.

We hope you draw some strength and comfort from our collective positive thoughts.

I am glad you have the courage to share your problem with us, and that you trust this community for an open dialog.

Special place, this SIGforum.

Posts: 19606 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
We are back from the urologist.

The news wasn't particularly bad, nor good, more like more of the same.

There are a few more lung nodules found and a few more slightly enlarged lymph nodes along or behind the lungs.
The good news was no cancer in the bone nor the brain.

So basically, just more of the same that we knew from earlier this week because we already knew of a lung nodule and a couple swollen lymphs.
It is reasonably certain those are small cancerous tumors spawned by the mother ship tumor from the kidney.

Therefore, the hospital stay and kidney removal is still on for around the 25th of this month.
Then on to immuno therapy with the hope we can stop the growth of the cancer cells in the lymph system.

There is about a 3% chance in the medical literature that once the mother ship is gone, the lymph things could dry up and blow away. Not great odds by any means but could happen.

Depending on how these things respond to treatment, I probably have 3 to 5 years left.

If I had not had the initial CT scan to pick this up the last week of December, the doctor said that it would have gone undetected, and 9 months from now I would be feeling sick, then discover what I have and all hope at that point would be over.

There it is, for good or bad.

Amateur Astronomer
Picture of Test1968
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Thanks for the update.

Alcohol
Tobacco
Firearms

Who brought the chips and dip?

Jim

Posts: 14023 | Location: limbo | Registered: August 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
We are back from the urologist.

The news wasn't particularly bad, nor good, more like more of the same.

There are a few more lung nodules found and a few more slightly enlarged lymph nodes along or behind the lungs.

So basically, just more of the same that we knew from earlier this week because we already knew of a lung nodule and a couple swollen lymphs.
It is reasonably certain those are small cancerous tumors spawned by the mother ship tumor from the kidney.

Therefore, the hospital stay and kidney removal is still on for around the 25th of this month.
Then on to immuno therapy with the hope we can stop the growth of the cancer cells in the lymph system.

There is a about a 3% chance in the medical literature that once the mother ship is gone, the lymph things could dry up and blow away. Not great odds by any means but could happen.

Depending on how these things respond to treatment, I probably have 3 to 5 years left.

If I had not had the initial CT scan to pick this up the last week of December, the doctor said that it would have gone undetected, and 9 months from now I would be feeling sick, then discover what I have and all hope at that point would be over.

There it is, for good or bad.

All in all, this is good news. Let's hope for a clean, solid resection and that the immune therapy does the trick.

Best wishes and we are all here for you.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20326 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Considering what you are dealing with this is HUGE good news.

Best of luck with surgery and follow up treatment.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not sure why I feel the need to write about all this happening when most people in a similar situation seem to be able to handle things in private.

Perhaps I need to see this in print and help me work things out.
At the margins, maybe what I write and think will help someone else out who is going through the same thing.

My family seems to be handling things well IMO, though I cannot say exactly what they think and feel and the inside.

My mother died last March. It does appear to me though it is a good thing she is not here to have to experience the possibility of outliving one of her children.
I cannot imagine the horror of such.

The natural order of things is for the younger folks to bury the older folks and not the other way around. But we all know this.

You might recall that my baby sister died last year, of the same lung disease I have.

As unhappy as that was, I took great comfort that at least she outlived mother. Mother did not deserve having to bury one of us, and thanks to God, she did not.

I've seen your latest post about today's developments. That's good news.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Yes, I do remember, and sorry about that.

The news I got today doesn't feel like good news, though I suppose the reality is that it is.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I do remember, and sorry about that.

The news I got today doesn't feel like good news, though I suppose the reality is that it is.

I prefer reality. It's so, ahh, real!

Think of it this way, as I do. This isn't what you would pick if you had a choice, of course. It's not good to have a life threatening disease, but now we are there, and the good news is when you get worse slowly, rather than faster. The other good news in your case is that you caught it early enough to do something about it, it can be treated, and with the kind of progress being made in medicine these days, by the time you get there, you might be cured entirely.

The mortality rate for ideopathic pulmonary fibrosis is 80% die within 5 years of diagnosis. That means that some are much faster, some are slower. There is no treatment and no cure. A lung transplant might buy you some time, as in my sister's case.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Yeah, definitely not the chapter I would write for myself.

In the big picture though, without certain medical technology of the late 1950s, I would have been one of those numerous child graves at the cemetery reminiscent of all the child graves of the 1700 and 1800s where it took having 5 kids to have 1 survive past age 5.

Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
it's always best to take these things one day at a time. Also, a big positive...strides are being made daily in treatment/cures and time is your buddy. Hang in there and enjoy each day the best you can.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
My thoughts and prayers added. If I can offer any assistance or encouragement as a 6-year survivor of lymphatic cancer, let me know.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
I am really sorry to read this news Tom. Hang in there and try to stay positive and beat this thing! I think we all have seen people outlive their doctors estimates and even wipe it out all together.

My thoughts, prayers and hope for a positive outcome are with you.

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
What Boz said. Every day take the time to visualize kicking the shit out of this thing. Come back here for support if you're feeling down.

Posts: 13747 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of keltoi
posted Hide Post
LBJ, get to know your doc,s well and ask questions. My wife has thirty years medical experience and had two diagnosis of breast cancer. She is cancer free with her lymph nodes and genetic testing. She had radiation and chemo as well as a double mastectomy. As has been mentioned fight this with every fiber of your being accompanied with a can do attitude. Above all educate yourself and ask questions. Do not be afraid to fire any doc that does not answer your inquiries. We have some Presbyterian and Lutheran Prayers coming your way.

Posts: 630 | Location:  | Registered: December 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post