SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I also went to the ER recently and... (Bad News Bears pages 4, 37) (Bad Ass Family Photo page 49) (CT Scan Update page 59)
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 161
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I also went to the ER recently and... (Bad News Bears pages 4, 37) (Bad Ass Family Photo page 49) (CT Scan Update page 59) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
Those first 3 words he said would have scared me.

I would prefer something like "Great news...".

Hang in there and stay positive. Hope you beat it and get better!!!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Same old around here for those interested.

We are 9 days away from beginning to address the issues at hand.
The holding pattern the last 10 days has been frustrating.

I mean, I know have something bad going on and time is marching by while I do nothing. Arg.

My brother and sister are coming out, which means an entire house cleaning. I can do the kitchen and floor even with the hernia.

I don't have anything philosophical to post because all those things remain the same.

One slight problem I am having though is my dreams A few are really creepy and seem similar of nature but the physical locations in the dreams change.
In those, I am lost, like I have dementia or something and am debilitated. I really dislike those dreams and have never had such previously.

The human mind can be odd oft times.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31433 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
A day at a time..

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
LBJ:. Regarding the dreams, are you on any new meds? There are certain painkillers (and NyQuil) that and know 100% give me very weird dreams.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12356 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the waiting is very frustrating and at this point you just want to get on with the proactive steps. I feel for you, Boss! But as said, take it a day at a time and try to really live in the moment. We often forget that.

As for house cleaning, I'd say the hell with that. Smile Or maybe just the minimum to make you and your wife feel comfortable. I can't imagine your brother and sister caring that much about it.

Thoughts and prayers continue!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38744 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I am on nothing new in the way of meds, so the dreams are related to my recent diagnosis.

As far as the house? We have to clean it because my wife would be mortified if my siblings saw the house the way it currently exists.

I undstand and will do what I can.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Godspeed lbj, continued prayers..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Continued Prayers your way.

And just for humor's sake why don't you ask the doc how much he is going to get from the sale of that kidney of yours to a patient in a third world country Smile

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I'd imagine anyone going through what you are going through would have something manifest itself in dreams Frown I hope they pass quickly.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Best wishes and prayers sent.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9373 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
You are in my thoughts and prayers, lbj.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Continued prayers.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I have to say, having read your posts on this thread, I am amazed at how you are handling this, being concerned about your daughters and your wife. To be worried about their feelings in the midst of all you are dealing with, and to maintain your faith as you have, is truly inspiring.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
LBJ,
There are may good wished here, and some with pull and ability within the medical world.
From both ends, I watched my father beat odds while having Pancreatic Cancer, and watched my mother become his watchdog. Your wife sounds very similar, and will learn that she does understand you better than the doctors, and will speak up on your behalf. Ask questions, and if you don't understand, question till you do. Doctors are not always right. Medicine is not an exact science, and you might have many more years than one doctor said.
Having said that - if you want to get into other medical programs or hospitals, ask. You gave so much to this forum, and to all of us, it is our absolute desire to give something back. There are protocols and practices in other cities. Do some research and if you want help, ask. I had mentioned earlier, Columbia/NYU in New York, and Sloan Kettering have world leading programs. There are other hospitals and programs, and we can make calls. I watched how Columbia's protocol changed, and gave my own father 7 more years instead of 7 weeks.

If you are comfortable with your doctors and hospital, that also works. If you have questions, ask - we all want to give back, and all care.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I lost my mom to Multiple Sclerosis a few years ago. seems like ages, and yesterday. But i also remember being a 6 year old boy being told my mom had some disease I couldn't pronounce. We had a card table set up in the family room - my mom loved doing puzzles, and had finished the puzzle a few days before. I had convinced them to keep the table up and had made a fort by draping an oversized blanket over the table and piling some pillows under the table. I didn't remember much more than going to hide in that fort the moment my parents told my sister and me about the disease, but reading some of her journals last summer, my mom wrote that I hid under there for 2 hours with my stuffed bunny before I eventually fell asleep - and it was then that they moved me to my bed.

It never happened much til my mom passed, but since then, as I've learned of friends and family getting sick with cancer or all these diseases we have knowledge of nowadays, I always feel the exact same way - a scared little six year old me, hiding in my fort with my stuffed bunny.

So as far as not knowing how to feel or act, no one can tell you that. That's the hardest part; I always wanted someone to tell me how I should feel, because I don't think I handle mortality things very well.

As I am sure you are, just take it as it comes. feel what you feel when you feel it, because, after all, it's happening to you.

anyway; I, like others have said, don't know you personally. but I've definitely come to respect you and your opinions, and to enjoy your contributions to the forum.

Know that you're in my prayers as well. Stay strong. and I know God has a plan.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Continuing prayers for you LBJ.

I am also glad you are sharing this with us here, and are secure enough to do so. I hope we can help you deal with what I am sure is extremely stressful.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
Two weeks for surgery?

I don't think I ever waited two weeks with my docs. Often it was 1-2 days. I literally was diagnosed on Wednesday and was in chemo on Friday.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I completely understand where your wife is coming from on the house front. Can your girls help?

All of these posts are so full of love and encouragement, I'm in awe of the goodness here (Sometimes I forget when a thread takes a nasty turn!).

I'd like to just suggest that you start doing research on the cancer drugs they'll be using after the surgery. You want the latest and greatest, and I discovered with a friend who recently went into remission, that sometimes it seemed like a particular drug protocol had to be employed before they could move on to the more efficacious, newer, better treatment. I'm sure there was good reason, but the husband was convinced it was about the $ the drug companies put into R&D. It was hard for me to believe, but I will just suggest you look carefully at the choices your doctor and his team makes and ASK questions. Push. Always bring your wife, or other trusted family member or friend that can listen and make notes for further study. Record the explanations if necessary. Don't be ashamed or embarrassed by requesting a thorough explanation, and having them repeat it so you can understand. This is your life, and your body. Defend it and protect it to the best of your abilities.

My very best wishes to you and your family.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5363 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
This time of the morning next week I should be on the operating table at the hospital.
Then a 10 day or so recovery begins. I am told the hernia part will be the painful part during said recovery.

After that, we are off to the first oncologist in mid February and we will begin to form the plan for the next stage of treatment.

I think I have finally finished notifying friends and family, though perhaps someone here or there has fallen through the cracks.
The last couple of notifications this weekend were tedious in the sense it became so repetitive. Arg.

posted Hide Post
Prayers and good thoughts. Kind of strange worrying about the house but that's just me.

I'm looking forward to your next road trip.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13411 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post