SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thanks for nothing SA and RRA
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks for nothing SA and RRA Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
There is not way you can rationalize or justify supporting that bill. None!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21117 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
There is not way you can rationalize or justify supporting that bill. None!

This is probably why RRA is saying they'll release an "official statement" tomorrow.

Roll Eyes

The silence from SA is pretty damning.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
They both should have done what Lewis Machine & Tool did and left Illinois for good.

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
FYI In Illinois, at least 30 votes are required in the Senate to pass legislation. 29 “yes” votes wouldn’t have passed this bill no matter how many “no” votes or “present” votes or non-voters there were. 30 is the “simple majority” for passing something like this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_Senate

When SB1657 went to the floor for a vote - the deciding vote was cast by Republican Senator Tom Rooney from Palatine, IL. The bill passed with the 30 minimum votes needed to pass in the Senate. Remember when you call, the person who answers the phone DID NOT cast that vote - they are only answering the phone and taking messages. If you live in Sen. Rooney's district - go to his home office and voice your displeasure in person.

Link to Rooney

The more I read it appears the bill is a veiled attempt at closing down the gun show loophole as it's known, private people selling guns at shows without background checks.

Part of me the 2A guy says it's BS infringement, wave the Don't tread on me Flag, however there are people buying guns privately, for the sole purpose of flipping them at shows under the guise of a "private sale" to avoid the costs associated with being a legal dealer. It's clear they are selling guns for income not as a hobbyist with too many guns or one who loves to trade, they are in fact hiding behind 2A to avoid being classed as dealers.

Basically they are using 2A to get around paying the fees, registering as FFL's insurance costs, etc that legal registered dealers pay.

By abusing private sales laws they encourage the legislative uproar over gun show sales to transact gun store business without licenses or back ground checks that lawful in business dealers
have to do in order to transact a sale. In fact I'd bet that every gun store owner, in secret would love that loop hole closed, what better way to even a playing field, using legislation to kill off competition that operates at a lower cost.

The under 10 rule is there to weed out the people who operate as individual collectors are probably what is driving this push in IL and I'd bet it gets traction elsewhere (CA, NY, CT, NJ, HI, etc) in order to force non registered "dealers" into registering.

Posts: 23500 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
It's clear they are selling guns for income not as a hobbyist with too many guns or one who loves to trade, they are in fact hiding behind 2A to avoid being classed as dealers.

BATFE already prosecutes for being an unlicensed dealer, why does the state of IL need to get involved?

Also, they're casting a very wide net for a very narrow offense.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
BATFE already prosecutes for being an unlicensed dealer, why does the state of IL need to get involved?

Also, they're casting a very wide net for a very narrow offense.

I agree about the narrow offense, but that looks to be perhaps one part of the focus, perhaps IL being the leading murder state in the USA is the focal point for this kind of legislative fiddiling, perhaps IL doesn't think the BATFE is doing enough.

I"m sure there are many other things they wish to accomplish, including as you stated, camels nose under the tent bill. I'm not for the bill just wanted to be clear before someone misinterprets my previous post, just trying to make sense of the legislation and why IFMA and it's sponsors would choose a position that had potential for major repercussion.

I'd hate to think that the two largest gun manufacturing companies in the state just ignored the effect of social media on the past few presidential elections, united airlines, and that this would never get traction in their decision making process..

Posts: 23500 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Springfield responds:

http://blog.springfield-armory...licensing-act-sb1657

Doesn't pass the smell test, but especially if this deal was in the works since early March as indicators seem to point to.

EDIT - Looks like they coordinated with RRA and didn't fire their lobbyists. This thing smells all kinds of stink.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/i.../pdfs/RRA_Stmt17.pdf

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I read the RRA press release.
It seems clear to me they know they made a huge mistake.

If true RRA, put up a shit ton of money and fight the IL senate bill.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31427 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I agree about the narrow offense, but that looks to be perhaps one part of the focus, perhaps IL being the leading murder state in the USA is the focal point for this kind of legislative fiddiling, perhaps IL doesn't think the BATFE is doing enough.

I"m sure there are many other things they wish to accomplish, including as you stated, camels nose under the tent bill. I'm not for the bill just wanted to be clear before someone misinterprets my previous post, just trying to make sense of the legislation and why IFMA and it's sponsors would choose a position that had potential for major repercussion.

I'd hate to think that the two largest gun manufacturing companies in the state just ignored the effect of social media on the past few presidential elections, united airlines, and that this would never get traction in their decision making process..

No doubt the politicians have their excuses and alleged purposes.

But if IL pols wanted to go after private party transfers, why not pass a universal background check bill? That would be easier to get support for and much less far reaching.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Springfield responds:

http://blog.springfield-armory...licensing-act-sb1657

Doesn't pass the smell test, but especially if this deal was in the works since early March as indicators seem to point to.

EDIT - Looks like they coordinated with RRA and didn't fire their lobbyists. This thing smells all kinds of stink.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/i.../pdfs/RRA_Stmt17.pdf

Even if we take them at their word, it means they each contributed $50,000 to an organization that almost managed (and might still manage) to flush IL gun-owners' rights down the toilet.

The IL Senate has already voted--damage done.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Here is RRA's statement.

For immediate release: May 1, 2017

Rock River Arms, Inc.® (RRA) wants to assure the Illinois (and national) firearms community that we are still 100 percent opposed to the Gun Dealer Licensing Act - SB1657, the house version of the same bill, and any potential final legislation that may come from those bills along with any other infringements on the gun rights of law-abiding citizens everywhere.
For more than twenty years, Rock River Arms and Springfield Armory have actively opposed gun control legislation at the local, state, and federal levels. In 2009, we partnered with other manufacturers to form an organization geared towards representing our interests - The Illinois Firearms Manufacturers Association (IFMA). Historically, that organization has done well in representing us in Springfield, Illinois. We had no reason to believe that it was doing anything beyond representing the firearms community’s (Illinois firearms manufacturers, dealers and gun owners) best interests, keeping us well-informed on relevant legislation and issues, acting on our behalf. In the case of SB1657, there was a disconnect and that representation was misguided.
While we do believe that IFMA acted in what it felt was the best interests of its members, we were as shocked as everyone else to find ourselves exempted from provisions of SB1657 and that IFMA was no longer opposing that bill, even though RRA still opposed it.
Again, Rock River Arms wants to emphasize (regardless of anything that may have been said or done, mistakenly or otherwise, by any other party on our behalf) its continued total opposition to SB1657, the Illinois House version of the bill and any final legislation that may emerge. This includes any provisions found in Gun Dealer Licensing Act SB1657, along with any other threats that may infringe upon our gun rights.

If you have any further questions or require more information about our position, please contact:
Sarah Larson, General Manager or Steve Mayer, LE, Government, and International Sales Manager at 309-792-5780.
Thank you.
Chuck Larson President/Owner Rock River Arms, Inc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21117 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
So both of them issued non statements.
Just word salads to confuse us.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39764 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
we were as shocked as everyone else to find ourselves exempted from provisions of SB1657 and that IFMA was no longer opposing that bill

Sort of like a certain president that only heard of stuff from the news.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3793 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Complete and utter nonsense!!!!
They stepped in it huge and they know it. No freaking way IFMA dropped their opposition and RRA or SA did not know. One would have certainly told the other.
Complete and utter nonsense!!!!

Even if so they did a piss poor job keeping up with what their thousands upon thousands of dollars to the IFMA and they dropped the ball big time.
Still see no reason to spend money with them if the aren't even keeping up with an association their money funds.
I give me money to a company with their act together.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25430 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Huh. Plausible enough words from RRA and SA - if, as has been mentioned above, the companies follow up with some very visible and aggressive action. I have to admit, though, I too find it hard to believe that IFMA took an action like that without RRA's and SA's knowledge. I guess we should be looking for something like a malpractice lawsuit against the lobbyist as well?

quote:
But if IL pols wanted to go after private party transfers, why not pass a universal background check bill? That would be easier to get support for and much less far reaching.

Gun banners don't necessarily understand the gun buying community very well. They may have been dumb enough to think that putting restrictions on the few rather than the many would generate less publicity and opposition. If anyone in the gun industry signs on or doesn't oppose it, of course, then the banners can try to neutralize public opinion by claiming it's just an ordinary buisness regulation rather than a restriction on access to firearms.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
"The more I read it appears the bill is a veiled attempt at closing down the gun show loophole as it's known, private people selling guns at shows without background checks."

Just an FYI on the above thought.... There is already a law on the books in Illinois for private gun show sales. All guns sold in the gun show or on the grounds of the show (I.e.; parking lot) are required to be transferred through an FFL dealer, 4473 filled out by the buyer, and waiting period followed. I sometimes do a local show with a dealer friend of mine. He handles the background check, 4473, and waiting period. I also keep a copy (as required by state law) of the buyer and seller's info as a private sale. By the way, private sales not from a gun show require the keeping of the above mentioned documentation as well as following waiting period requirements.

This bill is more about putting dealers out of business. I also fear how this would effect estates. If I died, my wife would only be able to sell 9 guns per year.

Can't wait to get out of this state!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2670 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
I also fear how this would effect estates. If I died, my wife would only be able to sell 9 guns per year.

Can't wait to get out of this state!

I hadn't thought of the estates angle.

The bill is also vaguely worded. Would 1 transfer = 1 gun (probably what the politicians wanted) or would you be able to do multiple guns in a single transfer as long as the same guns transferred to/from the same parties at the same time (i.e. you could buy two rifles and a handgun on the same 4473 from the same dealer and have it count as a single transfer)?

posted Hide Post
quote:

...But if IL pols wanted to go after private party transfers, why not pass a universal background check bill? That would be easier to get support for and much less far reaching.

Things are confusing here in IL, but I believe they did this some years back, now requiring that all sales, including private party sales, get reported to the State.

If I'm wrong on this, and FTF is still permissible without reporting, could somebody confirm this for me?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9162 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Sounds like bullshit back pedaling like united airlines did after their shit show.

Too late for me, I've already crossed SA and RRA off my list of manufacturers to purchase from. Neither offer anything unique enough to make me go back.

Posts: 13132 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
So both of them issued non statements.
Just word salads to confuse us.

Not so much a non statement from RRA. That was a pretty strong denial. The question is whether anyone will believe them. It seems incredible to me that they wouldn't know that their lobbyist was positioning an exception for them from this bill. How could they not know that?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30412 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post