SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My first trip to Buc ees.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first trip to Buc ees. Login/Join 
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
An oasis for weary travelers.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4360 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:
quote:
I've been in Texas (Dallas) now for 42 years and never heard of Bucees. Are there any in the DFW area?

flashguy

Royce City, Melissa, Denton, near TMS, and Ennis.
Well, I don't really think of those places as "DFW" but they are closer. I may have passed the one one at Melissa--there is some kind of a large truck stop where the Melissa Road crosses US-75, but I thought it was a Love's.

flashguy

The one in Melissa is right up Central Expressway---easy drive.
That's US-75. IIRC, it's been there for a long time, originally all alone with nothing around it.

flashguy

The Melissa location is on the way to one of the best outdoor gun ranges in the metroplex. Mission 160 in Whitewright. Breakfast burrito on the way to a IDPA or USPSA match doesn't get much better.

Posts: 1998 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Hit the one just outside of Mobil AL on I-10, the jerky selection is amazing, they were putting out BBQ sandwiches and others fresh, as others said, super clean, friendly staff, not a scowl to be found and tons of gas pumps for cars, no Semi traffic. You could buy a smoker from them as well, talking offset type, and fire pits.

It's kind of like a BBQ, Gas, 7/11 and retail section of a Cracker Barrel, only cleaner, better run, better food, better staff and a ton of bathroom available, clean bathroom...

If you are making a big trip and it's on the route it's worth the stop to fuel up, stretch and get some swag and bbq.. and go 10-100, or 200....

Posts: 23739 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I’m starting to get the impression that someone doesn’t like Buc-ees.

It’s subtle but I picked up on that too.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7974 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I've stopped at the one on I-10 when heading down to the Destin/Ft. Walton area. They have bought property near I-10 on the MS as they continue their expansion.

Buc-ee's - It's a Southern Thing

Posts: 1111 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
We stopped at the one at Warner Robins, Ga. I was impressed that every pump, over 100, had diesel and some even had DEF at the pump! BBQ was outstanding. A bit of tourist trap with t-shirts and other trinkets to waste money on, but still a very cool store!

Posts: 3862 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
I apologize if someone has said this already, but my buddy says that it's as if QT and Bass Pro Shop had a baby!

Posts: 745 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23739 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
According to Wikipedia, they are aggressively expanding. In view of the events of the last couple of years with so many businesses going under, this is amazing, bordering on incredible. I just hope they don't get "too big for their britches." They also seem to aggressively defend their trademark.

Posts: 28134 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Hell yes. Grabbed a bag of those and the cinnamon variety, too, which are even more like dessert.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16284 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is one on I-10 between mobile and Pensacola. We will stop if out that way as the toilet facilities are legendary for cleanliness. Fuel price seemed competitive if I recall. The help wanted sign had the hourly rates posted and they seemed to be in high teens and 20’s plus benefits. Not bad for low skill entry level-ish work around here. Appears they follow the in and out burger model of paying above average to cherry pick the brightest of people who are looking for low skill work

And get yourself some beaver nuggets as a treat. I have even mailed a few bags to my work team back in CA.

Posts: 4837 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
The help wanted sign had the hourly rates posted and they seemed to be in high teens and 20’s plus benefits.

They had the same signs in Florence. The most basic dishwasher and floor sweeper starts at $15-20. Department managers are $30-35. That's good money, but the benefits... better than I have for sure. $2/hr. differential for nights, weekly pay, paid medical, 3 weeks paid leave from the start, a 6% 401(k) match, and some other things that I was envious of.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16284 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in Daytona Beach the lowest salary is 17 an hour. The workers are better than average so their system is working.

Food is pretty good, coffee is good, bathrooms are huge and cleaner than the one at your house, and gas is cheaper. What's not to love?

As for defending their intellectual property, good for them. Now the whole gator wearing a hat lawsuit was a bad ruling but that's on the court not on Buccees.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post