SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My first trip to Buc ees.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first trip to Buc ees. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Well there are plenty of other letters in the alphabet so name your gator Jerome and move on. Lol

I live near that on on 95 by Daytona. It’s fun to walk through. Clean, huge restroom, all the good food you could want on the interstate, tons of goofy knickknacks my wife likes. Not much to hate on.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Your first time is always the best. Smile

Posts: 23032 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Buc ees won the lawsuit, so a jury agreed it was infringing, but I'll be damned if I would have voted that way.

The name of the store was Choke Canyon Bar B Q. The gator is wearing a hat like the beaver and looking to the right, but that is all I can see that is similar.

You can also bet that Buc ees outspent Choke Canyon by a mile. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but . . . I don't have to like it.

I think Buc ees is a trademark and litigation bully. Plus it is just a giant gas station, and I'll be damned if I can understand the hype.

https://www.chron.com/news/hou...n-gator-12934353.php

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53147 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now don't get your panties bunched jhe because even you have to enjoy the lawyer silliness, lol.

Buccees lawyers argued, and I quote, "also complained that Choke Canyon illegally mimicked its in-store offerings, including friendly service, ample stock and plentiful, clean bathrooms."

Only a lawyer could argue with a straight face that friendly service is illegal apparently.

Come on, that is funny. (no intentional lawyer bashing just some good natured ribbing)

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Now don't get your panties bunched jhe because even you have to enjoy the lawyer silliness, lol.

Buccees lawyers argued, and I quote, "also complained that Choke Canyon illegally mimicked its in-store offerings, including friendly service, ample stock and plentiful, clean bathrooms."

Only a lawyer could argue with a straight face that friendly service is illegal apparently.

Come on, that is funny. (no intentional lawyer bashing just some good natured ribbing)

Oh, no offense taken. Buc ee's lawyers obviously did a good job. Hats off.

But jurors often see through that stuff.

And, I still don't like that Buc ees uses these bully tactics. Which is what they are because they use their extremely deep pockets to intimidate mom and pop operators who can't afford to engage in extended litigation with a giant corporation.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53147 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

And, I still don't like that Buc ees uses these bully tactics.
Which is what they are because they use their extremely deep pockets to intimidate mom and pop operators who can't afford to engage in extended litigation with a giant corporation.

Isn't that pretty much the Lawyer SOP 101? Frown

Posts: 23032 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny thing is that this Jerome the Gator guy's apparently had enough money to fight them. And lost.

Reading the article the lawyers said that there were 10 similarities that made it trademark infringement. Not a lawyer, but in a case as retarded as this one, I think you should hold the jury accountable and require them to say how many of those "items" need to be changed before its ok. Ie, no hat, no red tongue, look the other way, what?

This is idiotic on any level. It's not even a warm blooded animal. Its a fur bearing mammal and a fucking reptile. How does this happen?

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Which is what they are because they use their extremely deep pockets to intimidate mom and pop operators who can't afford to engage in extended litigation with a giant corporation.

No, those are client chosen tactics. Lawyers implement client choices but don't make those strategy decisions.

Your option as a lawyer is to not take the case on if you find unpalatable.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny thing is that this Jerome the Gator guy's apparently had enough money to fight them. And lost.

Enough to fight doesn't mean that they had enough money to do it effectively.

Reading the article the lawyers said that there were 10 similarities that made it trademark infringement. Not a lawyer, but in a case as retarded as this one, I think you should hold the jury accountable and require them to say how many of those "items" need to be changed before its ok. Ie, no hat, no red tongue, look the other way, what?

It wouldn't have any meaning if they did, and wouldn't be binding on any other jury. If we want tighter standards on what infringes, then congress should include them in trademark law.

This is idiotic on any level. It's not even a warm blooded animal. Its a fur bearing mammal and a fucking reptile. How does this happen?

Obvioulsy, I didn't hear the evidence at trial. But, clearly Buc ee's lawyers, expert witnesses, and whatever else carried the day. Hard to figure it out without hearing the whole case. And sometimes juries get it wrong for crazy reasons. Juries are very hard to predict. Jury trials are risky for that reason.

posted Hide Post
Bring on the comet.

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’m starting to get the impression that someone doesn’t like Buc-ees.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15264 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Enough to fight doesn't mean that they had enough money to do it effectively.

It wouldn't have any meaning if they did, and wouldn't be binding on any other jury. If we want tighter standards on what infringes, then congress should include them in trademark law.

Obvioulsy, I didn't hear the evidence at trial. But, clearly Buc ee's lawyers, expert witnesses, and whatever else carried the day. Hard to figure it out without hearing the whole case. And sometimes juries get it wrong for crazy reasons. Juries are very hard to predict. Jury trials are risky for that reason.

Maybe a Juror or two, perhaps the Judge had a bad meal at Gator Guys....

I agree on the infringement bully argument, Harley Davidson is bad about that as well.

Posts: 23750 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe the gator had bucked teeth? Razz

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6751 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, those are client chosen tactics. Lawyers implement client choices but don't make those strategy decisions.

LOL, there must be a lawyer-joke in there somewhere. Big Grin

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

I would say the option is to lose the massive retainer fee that firm has with Buc-ees to review Buc-ess corporate attorney complaints of such activity. The job is to file, execute and litigate these lawsuits.

These of course are instigated by a corporate attorney, who's job and paycheck, says there isn't a choice, other than to work elsewhere...

Some attorney somewhere will always step in to fill those shoes...

It's a corporate culture thing... Companies do have to protect these things, or they lose them, a trademark unenforced isn't worth anything. Buc-ees name, likeness, beaver, etc are a big part of it's value, presumably in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

Posts: 23750 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:

Lots of Aggie swag at TX Buc ees too.

Is this meant as an enticement?

JALLEN would be proud of you. But, GIG ‘EM!

The Garlic Bohemian jerky is great!

It is a giant convenience store and as such it has reshaped the markets it enters, but there are others doing the same. On our stretch of I20, between DFW & the Louisiana border, CEFCO, PILOT & LOVES plus others are building the same formats. Bucee’s doesn’t cater to trucking market, others do.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1534 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
You should read into the right to make Dr. Pepper or not. wow it gets vengeful and ugly for a small town Dr. Pepper plant that tried to make the cane Dr. Pepper. yet it is still my favorite drink, even if corporate are a bunch of a-holes.

Buccees is changing the business which I am all about. They built a brand new sheetz here and in the bathroom there is one urinal and one stall. There was a line 5 deep waiting on the stall. WTH?

Now my personal campaign is to get a QT here so that I have easy access to RoosterBooster.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3612 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p220cop
posted Hide Post
I had my first Buc-ees experience in Royse City, TX just two weeks ago. Never seen anything like it. Talk about Texas pride. It was fantastic! Grabbed a sweet tea and two brisket and egg breakfast tacos before hitting the road. Smile

Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done........

Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I'm an amazing beautiful soul. Another person will say I'm a cold-hearted asshole. Believe them both. I act accordingly......

Posts: 150 | Registered: June 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
rtquig, if you invested in the spicy jerky, take my advice and don't eat it all at once. It can cause... adverse effects. Frown

We stop in Bucees on the way back from the beach nowadays each time, the jerky selection makes the traffic hassle worth it.

I found that out the hard way! Had a few pieces before bed last night, that was a mistake.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4024 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
I had seen a Sunday morning news show about a year ago that featured Buc ees gas and store and found it interesting. This weekend I flew into Atlanta to visit with my daughter at Berry College. <<snip>>

My daughter just graduated from Berry college last spring, and quickly got a new, high-paying job in Athens, GA shortly thereafter. While it is not as conservative as I would have preferred, it is still an awesome school overall, and would easily recommend it to others!

I go back to Berry as often as possible… or at least through Rome, GA on the way to Athens!

My daughter has a year to go. She is an organic chemistry major and is now looking at Grad schools. Every time we get home I wonder why I still live where I do. My wife will hit full retirement this June so we are looking at property around our friends place in Rydal.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4024 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post