SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Forum member dave7378 has been arrested in the Turks and Caicos islands. **All members, please read this**
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 34

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Forum member dave7378 has been arrested in the Turks and Caicos islands. **All members, please read this** Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dave was found to have 44 rounds of ammunition at the bottom of a backpack, which, by the way, our stalwart TSA at JFK missed when he was leaving the US....

This was simply a mistake. Dave had no firearm, just the ammunition, which he didn't realize he had, of course.

Wow. Obviously a mistake. It's a mistake that could have happened to any of us who have ever traveled with a bag or backpack we have previously used for a range trip or whatever.

Other than what has been previously mentioned, I'm not sure how we can help, but please let us know.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24405 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
dave7378, praying for you and yours and that this situation is resolved to your favor and quickly.

Posts: 6720 | Registered: September 04, 2003Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Ugh, what a nightmare. 12 years is no joke. I'll be following this thread should we be called up for any additional assistance.

Praying for you, Dave.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30754 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Lord I seem to have spent brass fall out of everything at some point or another. I could see it being super easy to miss some live ammo.

I think the learning point for the rest of us is to keep all our travel gear completely separate from our range gear/bags etc.

I hope he gets help, I think a senator or political pressure is the best bet.

Good luck.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7788 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I may have missed it, but I have not seen any mention of engaging the services of a local lawyer.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31123 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Wow. I am so paranoid about this kind of stuff, even flying within the states I double and triple check my bags.

Dave I cannot do much more than offer a prayer of support and a positive outcome, which I am doing right now.

Because they depend so much on tourism, I was thinking maybe a Social Media campaign of some type; perhaps to put pressure on their government for his release, but since it is gun related, I could also see that backfiring and a savvy prosecutor grandstanding about being tough on crime and entitled Americans.

Very very sorry to read this.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12377 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Well that suck.

Dave, we are with you! Best of luck getting this resolved.

Posts: 13801 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Report This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
A terrible situation, hoping you can get this resolved quickly and get back to your life.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3439 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the learning point for the rest of us is to keep all our travel gear completely separate from our range gear/bags etc.

Very important point, I know we've got members that use the same bag for all kinds of things from range to travel.

Friend of mine grabbed a bag, tossed in some clothes and ran to catch a last minute flight for work, only in the bottom of his bag was his 9mm carry pistol. Immediately arrested, and spent the night in 33rd street jail, not some place you'd want to be for any reason.

Tens of thousands of dollars in fines and legal fees later it was taken care of, and that was here in the USA.

Best of luck to Dave7378, hopefully he finds a way to settle this without jail time....

Posts: 23954 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Being that he has pretty extensive time there he has friends and connections that can provide so assistance in getting this resolved hopefully. If he can I would never go back unless it is easily worked out. Best of luck Dave.
I would think it be best to keep this under the radar so that it can be worked out by the fewest number of key cogs as possible. Rather than blowing it up in to some kind of an international incident. That is not going to help imho.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19521 | Registered: September 21, 2005Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I may have missed it, but I have not seen any mention of engaging the services of a local lawyer.
He has done so.

As for contacting his Congressmen, he has done so, and then some.

For US representation, these islands fall under the purview of the US embassy in Nassau.

https://bs.usembassy.gov/

Posts: 108611 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If it turns financial, I’m in. Otherwise, I continue to pray for Dave’s release. Very sorry to read of this happening to a good man.

Crumbs & hornswagglers get away with everything.

Posts: 5775 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Can anyone speak intelligently (I can not) on the effect of a letter-writing campaign directed at his congress critters and/or our Ambassador & staff?

Would there be any point to it? Since it's unlikely that any of us can provide direct assistance, and until/unless financial support is needed, it seems to me that flooding someone's e- or regular mail box with polite requests for assistance on his behalf is all we can do - beyond praying, of course.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16294 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Report This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Offering up some prayers for a quick and just resolution to this issue that could happen to any of us.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7196 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Report This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
For US representation, these islands fall under the purview of the US embassy in Nassau.

The T&C are 400 miles from Nassau.

Has he met with or spoken directly to a consular official of the United States?

Beyond asking that question, I have nothing else to add other than I my prayers for a positive outcome.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31801 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Best wishes and thoughts for a positive outcome.

Posts: 3786 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
All I can offer are thoughts and prayers.
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
As for contacting his Congressmen, he has done so, and then some.
Just looked it up, Dave lives in Hampton Bays, NY, which is one of the few Congressional Districts in NY with a Republican congress man/woman. His Congressman, Nick LaLota, graduated from the Naval Academy and served 8 years in the Navy, Dad and both grandfathers were LEOs, and his campaign website says "I am a gun owner and I have deep respect for the Constitutional right to bear arms."

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23522 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I wish there was something I could do other than offer moral support and prayers. Contacting people or financial I'm all in.

Posts: 3501 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Report This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I agree with the poster that indicated social media may be the trick. If we have any members that are versed in “the spin” this would be the time to employ it. Also as a previous poster mentioned if there is a financial aspect, we’re happy to contribute. Could just as easily have been us- God knows how many times we’ve had to leave knives behind. My husband gets frisked every single time we go through an airport (ex military).

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5449 | Registered: October 24, 2005Report This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Apologies if it's been mentioned, but did Dave make the trip alone or with his family? Any info on the facility where he is being held?

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1497 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Report This Post