SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Forum member dave7378 has been arrested in the Turks and Caicos islands. **All members, please read this**
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 34

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Forum member dave7378 has been arrested in the Turks and Caicos islands. **All members, please read this** Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Many of you know dave7378 through his presence in the forum. I happen to know him better than most of you and I can tell you that he is a really good guy.

Dave was arrested for possession of ammunition and spent six days in jail and has been released on bail but he had to surrender his passport and he is awaiting trial. If found guilty, he could spend twelve years in prison. There is no plea bargain system in that country.

Dave has already reached out to people of influence he knows, pulled all the strings he can and part of that is contacting me so that I can spread the word to the members and readers of this forum. I will be able to share more details after he clarifies things with his lawyer.

What can we do? First of all, we are not asking for monetary contributions. Money is the least of the issue. The forum has many attorneys who may be able to offer advice, although I realize that in a matter such as this, there are constraints as to what they may be able to offer, without actually representing someone charged with a crime. Being an international matter, though, may negate all of that. I don't know, of course.

The economy of Turks and Caicos is dominated by tourism, offshore finance and fishing. The US dollar is the main currency used on the islands.

Dave and his family have been pumping money into the economy of these islands for twelve years. As you can see above, these islands rely on tourism to survive. Also, there is recent precedent for an American being found in possession of firearms and ammunition- in rather large quantity- and the outcome was positive. Dave was found to have 44 rounds of ammunition at the bottom of a backpack, which, by the way, our stalwart TSA at JFK missed when he was leaving the US.

At this time, Dave does have his cellphone and can make and receive calls. He has internet access as well and he can see this thread and can respond.

This was simply a mistake. Dave had no firearm, just the ammunition, which he didn't realize he had, of course.

Please feel free to comment in this thread, and anyone who may have advice can post it here or, if they feel more comfortable with it being out of the public eye, can contact me via the email address in my profile. For non-members who read the forum, simply scroll to the bottom of the page and click the 'Contact Us' link.

This is not coming from one of those scam emails- the kind which say "Hey, grandma, I've been arrested. Can you help me out?" I have spoken directly with Dave this morning, after first calling his business and confirming the email I received from Dave. This is legitimate and the potential consequences are profound.

More information to come

Posts: 108616 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me (or Dave) know. I am not knowledgeable on T&C law, but I can do research.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12860 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Report This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to read this. All I can do is hope for the best possible outcome.

Posts: 13455 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
I don't have much to offer in the form of advice, but I hope this is resolved quickly, and Dave can get back home soon.

Of course, if there is anything I can do to help, just let me know. Wishing the best for you, Dave.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4945 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Report This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Wishing Dave all the best.

I'll help any way I can.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39013 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Longshot but perhaps if Dave is employed by a larger corporation maybe they could get involved on his behalf.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 07, 2004Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
He's a business owner. There is no corporation to which he can turn for assistance.

Posts: 108616 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Perhaps contact our Embassy.

A quick search of Consular Agency Consular Agency in Providenciales states Temporary Suspension of Services.

For U.S. citizens who are victims of crime or have urgent medical or welfare issues, please contact the U.S. Embassy’s Consular Section directly at 242-322-1181 and ACSNassau@state.gov.

Contact the U.S. Embassy in The Bahamas, located at 42 Queen Street (across from the British Colonial Hilton Hotel), Nassau; telephone: 242-322-1181; after hours emergency telephone: 242-357-7004; ACS unit fax: 242-356-7174; e-mail: ACSNassau@state.gov ; web page: https://bs.usembassy.gov. The Turks & Caicos Consular Agency is located at 2 Ventura Ct., Grace Bay Suite 102E, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands; telephone: 649-232-5713; e-mail: ACSNassau@state.gov .

Posts: 1839 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I certainly wish him the best. Perhaps the best hope is for an official response that takes into account the inadvertent nature of the offence and a desire not to alienate American tourism.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53177 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
Local US Consulate or Embassy (if there is one) that may have some juice. His state rep may have a line to that country and/or its ambassador or someone like that. USUALLY this is a shakedown for money from locals and money often fixes things. Not sure about that area though, have not been there.

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3341 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:
Perhaps contact our Embassy.

And his Congressman

Posts: 608 | Registered: September 30, 2013Report This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
does he have contacts at the state department ?

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3341 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
A nightmare to say the least. I'm guessing all avenues of American govt. representation on the islands have been explored. Para, if cash is needed to help finance a legal fight, it goes without saying we're there. I hope Dave will soon prevail and come home swiftly.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16981 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I'd hope Dave's Congressman and Senator might be able to provide some inertia for effort that the State Dept. might be able to bring to to bear. Just checked his profile and I see he lists his location as Hampton Bays, NY. If that's his primary residence, Nick LaLota is his Representative and as I recall, a pretty solid 'R'.

Hang in there, Dave...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9256 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Nothing I can do but wishing for a positive outcome for him. Man, what a mess, when you're stuck in some foreign country being charged with a crime, when it was just an innocent and minor mistake.

Q

Posts: 27157 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. I'm not in a position to offer anything but moral support, unfortunately.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
This sounds crazy, but it just may work. I was reading up on this and it looks like US citizens can get emergency passport replacements by mail from the US embassy in Nassau. I wonder if he could just do this and then charter a boat to get out of that jurisdiction. He'd just need to make it to Puerto Rico.

I got popped by TSA for a few (I think three) loose rounds of .223 in Phoenix on a flight to ORD and then BER. They couldn't have cared less and we chatted about our AR builds for a few. Glad it happened in Phoenix and not Chicago or Berlin, though.

In Dave's case, however, 44 rounds is probably a little harder to explain.

Posts: 3619 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Report This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
I have no advice that hasn’t already been suggested but certainly hope he is able to navigate this mistake with a positive outcome. I can’t imagine being in that situation.

Posts: 3144 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Report This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
He absolutely has to call his Congressman.

Posts: 5823 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
He absolutely has to call his Congressman.
And Senators, as well as state Governor & Legislators.

Wishing Dave the best.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post