SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SIG SAUER MPX (Update: Exclusive Non-NFA version P7)
Page 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 137
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG SAUER MPX (Update: Exclusive Non-NFA version P7) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
Sig advertised them as being able to swap calibers, even on the printed material. Not everyone reads these forums, in fact I would bet most do not.

You are correct, they also advertised it with a 6.5" barrel and a 9.5" muzzle brake, but that product also never made it to market.

I agree that sig may have initially bit off more than they could chew...but they are clearly making headway on it and I think they are headed in a good direction.

Posts: 21 | Registered: June 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SURE it's "customizable" and "adaptive", SURE!,just like the Sig 556xi----- its 2015 now and the necessary parts are STILL not available at the retail level to "adapt" the 5.56 into a .300 BO.
Caveat emptor when it comes to Sig's marketing techniques.

SW Shield 9mm
1990 P226 TT, SRT, Safe Queen
M11-A1, Alum Grips
P320 Carry, GG Trig
Hardline-Customs .308
CZ75 D PCR
SCPO(SW),USN,(Ret), SEA Class 55

Posts: 185 | Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida | Registered: February 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked this up last week, MPX-P 1480, cardboard box, no cleaning kit, Q detach low mount for sling, and a few rail adapters.

I am thinking generation 1, but not sure. I included the date of manufacture off the box.
Whats ya'll call, 1 or 2?

If I can help, perhaps I can take some measurements if ya'll need some?

Posts: 5 | Registered: October 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Looks to be Gen 1 due to the non-keymod rail. The date of manufacture is interesting because it was produced 3 days after the Gen 2 I handled yesterday (10/31/15).

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Looks to be Gen 1 due to the non-keymod rail. The date of manufacture is interesting because it was produced 3 days after the Gen 2 I handled yesterday (10/31/15).

The date is what had me wondering, I saw the key mod, and the post a few pages back, also noted the date posted..Damn
Hate to think I waited 5 months to finally get one, only to be so close to GEN 2, I have not even shot it yet...

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Look at the ejection port, it is noticeably bigger on the gen 2 guns.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3601 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ferrari Steve
posted Hide Post
Here's my version of the paperclip fix:

RealGunReviews.com | Gun Videos | SIG Fans Facebook Group | NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 291 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: December 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
Look at the ejection port, it is noticeably bigger on the gen 2 guns.

I'll mic it and post the length, I don' have the port dimension of the gen 1, and this is the only one I know of in my area, very, very rural.

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Just look at a few pictures, I could tell from that when I looked.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3601 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I emailed "Ryan" at SIG customer service today (11/16), about how they intend to take care of the Gen1 customers, he replied...

"Customers with Gen 1’s can still go to other calibers, just need the upper. We plan to offer the upper to Gen 1’s at the same pricing as a barrel assembly for Gen 2’s"

Posts: 92 | Location: NC | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedjetflyer:
When I emailed "Ryan" at SIG customer service today (11/16), about how they intend to take care of the Gen1 customers, he replied...

"Customers with Gen 1’s can still go to other calibers, just need the upper. We plan to offer the upper to Gen 1’s at the same pricing as a barrel assembly for Gen 2’s"

As in we pay for a new upper for the price of a barrel, and then still have to purchase a barrel?

Picture of Ferrari Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd be cool with this.

RealGunReviews.com | Gun Videos | SIG Fans Facebook Group | NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 291 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: December 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's great and everything but as posted today on thetruthaboutguns.com:

The second big difference is that the feed lips are elongated on the Gen II magazines and (according to SIG SAUER) will not be backwards compatible with the Gen I guns. This again proves my statement that the GEN I guns might not be getting the caliber conversion kits, since there are some definitive differences that are incompatible between the two guns.

Unless they make Gen 1 multi-caliber mags the only Gen 2 upper you'll be able to use is 9mm...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.c...-gen-ii/#more-378832

Posts: 57 | Registered: June 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's my point. Unless they come out with mags of the different calibers (which it sounds like they may not be) for the Gen 1 guns, it sounds like the Gen 1 guns are 9mm only...

posted Hide Post
Ok, need an opinion here. I have an opportunity to buy locally a NIB MPX, unfired with case, etc. for about $750.

My current thinking is I will SBR it and stay with 9mm so not sure how important multi-cal might be to me. I might have interest in a shorter barrel some day but the 8" will be just fine for now.

Thoughts? Buy the Gen1 for $750 or just lay out bigger bucks for Gen2?

Posts: 55 | Location: Gunshine State - Connecticut No More | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go for it. $750 is a hell of a deal.

posted Hide Post
After renting one of these today at my LGS I had decided to pass on this platform but for $750 I do it. You'd get your money back if you didn't like it.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I'd buy another at $750, and I'm pissed off at Sig over mine still Wink

Picture of Ferrari Steve
posted Hide Post
I'd also buy it at $750.

Like literally. If you pass, tell me where the seller is and I will buy another one for $750! Smile

posted Hide Post
I joined sigforum because of this thread. Thanks for the information provided.

I spoke with a SIG representative at the Texas Gun Fest held near Austin this past weekend. He was working in the booth with the MPX and seemed very knowledgeable about the issues.

There is a foolproof way to tell if the upper is a Gen 1 or Gen 2 version. The extractor on the left side of the upper forms an upside down "L" with the cam plate on Gen 1 uppers. This is clearly visible on the Page 60 picture posted. On all Gen 2 uppers the extractor/cam plate junction is more of a lopsided "T".

There are other "tells" to indicate whether the upper is Gen 1 or 2 (Keymod, Ejection Port, Altered Picatinny Rail), but the extractor/cam plate configuration is simple and absolute.

From the rep, all factory MPX carbines are Gen 2.

Jax

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post