SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    President Zelenskyy, the answer is no
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 56
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

President Zelenskyy, the answer is no Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
The money spending on Ukraine is peanuts compared to the reward we're gaining...

We're taking down Russia and it's not costing US lives.

Flame away...

Flashlightboy: I disagree, vehemently, with your entire post. I'm tempted to argue with you over each point, but I don't really have the time.

So I'll RSVP with my regrets to the "Flame away..." invitation.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24569 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:

You're brainwashed. Keep letting the Media Industrial Complex feed you that propaganda.

Russia is not being "taken down". What's being taken down is the amount o funds in the US treasury. We have worthy causes all over this nation which are being neglected for the obscenity you support. Look at the people in Hawaii who lost everything and were given a few hundred dollars. You have no idea how much of a robot you sound like with this "we're taking down Russia" nonsense. The day you die, Russia will still exist as a nuclear superpower.

Posts: 108990 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Bizarre and unexplainable that there is still quite a bit of public support for funding the Ukraine calamity. Any application of logic to the situation indicates a negotiated settlement will be necessary. The only real question to be resolved is how many more people die and how much more treasure is squandered. It's truly sad to anyone looking at the conflict objectively and without emotion.

Posts: 2036 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has it occurred to some of you that the whole point of this conflict from the start was to bait NATO and primarily the US into wreaking havoc on their own economies and military stockpiles. Russia has an endless pool of human meat, shovels, and anti-tank mines and it's willing to carry on for decades holding heavily-fortified positions of little value just so the collective West can bash their heads into them. For every trench the Ukrainians capture the Russians are digging 5 more in its place.

Give Putin what he wants and be done with it.

Posts: 641 | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carpentermaass84:

And when he wants Poland? Give him that too? How's about Hungary?

Posts: 20546 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

No one wants to "give Putin what he wants". No one has "given" him anything. But the fact is, he has already taken what he wants.
Poland and Hungary are members of NATO and we have a treaty obligation.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24569 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Operator Starsky is a YOUTUBE channel by a Ukrainian Soldier that posts 3 to 5 times a week. It's obviously from a pro-Ukranian point of view. However, I find it interesting. He provides a lot of information that is supported by cell phone videos, interviews and other data. I have heard him report Ukrainian setbacks on the battlefield which to me helps with his credibility. However he also shows many cell phone and other videos that make it very clear to me that the Russians are paying a very big price for their invasion. This latest edition covers a variety of issues, some which may surprise you. Worth a look if you are interested in what's going on in Ukraine. He often posts item that are really funny. This one has a clip where the Ukrainians call Russian tech support for help with a repair on a piece of Russian equipment. The Russians give them the information with no problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri694c6hNCM

Posts: 1072 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
The money spending on Ukraine is peanuts compared to the reward we're gaining.

Zelensky is a gold digging whore.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17146 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

You're brainwashed. Keep letting the Media Industrial Complex feed you that propaganda.

Russia is not being "taken down". What's being taken down is the amount o funds in the US treasury. We have worthy causes all over this nation which are being neglected for the obscenity you support. Look at the people in Hawaii who lost everything and were given a few hundred dollars. You have no idea how much of a robot you sound like with this "we're taking down Russia" nonsense. The day you die, Russia will still exist as a nuclear superpower.

Taking Russia down isn't a literal phrase and you know it.

Russia will be taken down as a world super power. It will still have nukes and a lot of land and resources but their nation will be a mess. Money and resources wins wars and they are running out of both. Their GDP is horrible and there's nothing on the horizon suggesting it's going to be better.

They can sell resources but their capability to harvest and deliver them is finite. They can sell weapons systems but since they are being trashed in Ukraine, who would want to buy vulnerable equipment? They can't project power anywhere in the world except to a contiguous state.

If your goal is let Russia expand into non-NATO countries then yes, stop supporting them but if you goal is damage them so they can't do it again and trash their economy so they can't afford to do it, then supporting Ukraine is something we should do.

I suppose going turtle is a strategy but what does that accomplish?

Posts: 4247 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carpentermaass84:
Has it occurred to some of you that the whole point of this conflict from the start was to bait NATO and primarily the US into wreaking havoc on their own economies and military stockpiles. Russia has an endless pool of human meat, shovels, and anti-tank mines and it's willing to carry on for decades holding heavily-fortified positions of little value just so the collective West can bash their heads into them. For every trench the Ukrainians capture the Russians are digging 5 more in its place.

I am not sure I would say that Russia has endless supply of human meat, population is 143 million.
Europe is 740 million

Posts: 1184 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Poland and Hungary are members of NATO and we have a treaty obligation.

You're a pretty smart fella. I'm certain you got my point. Wink

Posts: 20546 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, what are we going to do about this little document the US signed back in 1994? Just admit that we took their nuclear arsenal and then simply threw them under the bus because 50 cents per day per US person for 18 months was too much pain?

quote:
The United States of America, the Russian Federa-
tion, and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and
Northern Ireland,
Welcoming the accession of Ukraine to the Treaty
on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons as a non-
nuclear-weapon State,
Taking into account the commitment of Ukraine to
eliminate all nuclear weapons from its territory
within a
specified period of time,
Noting the changes in the world-wide security situ-
ation, including the end of the Cold War, which have
brought about conditions for deep reductions in nuclear
forces.

Confirm the following:

1. The United States of America, the Russian Fed-
eration, and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and
Northern Ireland, reaffirm their commitment to
Ukraine, in accordance with the principles of the CSCE
[Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe]
Final Act, to respect the Independence and Sovereignty
and the existing borders of Ukraine.

2. The United States of America, the Russian Fed-
Northern Ireland, reaffirm their obligation to refrain
from the threat or use of force against the territorial in-
tegrity or political independence of Ukraine, and that
none of their weapons will ever be used against Ukraine
except in self-defense or otherwise in accordance with
the Charter of the United Nations.

3. The United States of America, the Russian Fed-
Northern Ireland, reaffirm their commitment to
Ukraine, in accordance with the principles of the CSCE
Final Act, to refrain from economic coercion designed
to subordinate to their own interest the exercise by
Ukraine of the rights inherent in its sovereignty and
thus to secure advantages of any kind.

4. The United States of America, the Russian Fed-
Northern Ireland, reaffirm their commitment to seek
immediate United Nations Security Council action to
provide assistance to Ukraine, as a non-nuclear-weapon
State Party to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of
Nuclear Weapons, if Ukraine should become a victim
of an act of aggression
or an object of a threat of aggres-
sion in which nuclear weapons are used.

5. The United States of America, the Russian Fed-
Northern Ireland, reaffirm, in the case of the Ukraine,
their commitment not to use nuclear weapons against
any non-nuclear-weapon State Party to the Treaty on
the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, except in
the case of an attack on themselves, their territories or
dependent territories, their armed forces, or their allies,
by such a state in association or alliance with a nuclear
weapon state.

6.The United States of America, the Russian Fed-
Northern Ireland will consult in the event a situation
arises which raises a question concerning these com-
mitments.
This Memorandum will become applicable upon
signature.
Signed in four copies having equal validity in the
English, Russian and Ukrainian languages.

https://policymemos.hks.harvar...emo.pdf?m=1645824948

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't matter much to me. That's 50 cents I could spend on coffee. Anything that hurts Biden's (or whoever fills his shoes) chances of re-election is a victory for us. Biden staked a big part of his foreign policy platform on defending Ukraine and we can undermine that if we cut the purse strings.

Posts: 641 | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

Delusional. Did you believe we weren't in Cambodia also? We're not even trying to cover it up nearly as much as we did then.

WE, as in, US troops, ARE in Ukraine. We are taking casualties. Don't be nieve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13984 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Flashlight Boy, if every US Politician no longer made money because of the Ukraine, would we still be sending US tax dollars there?

You brazenly claim that it's not costing any US lives but you seem to forget that all of the money we are dumping into Ukraine could be better put to use here to stop Fentanyl coming across our southern border. How many lives has that cost US since this boondoggle started? CDC has 109,680 overdose deaths for 2022 alone. Ask your other Leftist friends why the US is worried about Ukraine's border and not our own! (hint: $$$)

We get it, you're lazy and it's easier for you to have someone else do your thinking for you. If you can't see that $150 Billion could be better used within our own borders, you're beyond help.

Posts: 2859 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by echidna:
So, what are we going to do about this little document the US signed back in 1994? Just admit that we took their nuclear arsenal and then simply threw them under the bus because 50 cents per day per US person for 18 months was too much pain?

I'm sorry, but three generations spent in Iraq and Afghanistan is more than enough. No more. I don't give a fuck who signed what. Everyone keeps wanting to go back to the Budapest Memorandum, like the buck stops there, when these people have been butchering each other over the same strip of land for the last two thousand years. It's just not our fucking business, period.

Posts: 17611 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by echidna:

[QUOTE]

4. The United States of America, the Russian Fed-
Northern Ireland, reaffirm their commitment to seek
immediate United Nations Security Council action to
provide assistance to Ukraine, as a non-nuclear-weapon
State Party to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of
Nuclear Weapons, if Ukraine should become a victim
of an act of aggression
or an object of a threat of aggres-
sion in which nuclear weapons are used.

https://policymemos.hks.harvar...emo.pdf?m=1645824948

What nuclear weapons have been used or threatened to be used against Ukraine?

There’s nothing in the entire text you quoted the requires the United States to do anything as far as Ukraine’s current problem with Russia goes at this point.

If the Russians decide to use nuclear weapons or threaten to use them in Ukraine, the gloves will really come off as we seek the United Nations Security Council’s help.

Posts: 11590 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
How many have looked at a world map to see that the USA is at a distinct strategic and logistical disadvantage in supporting the Ukrainian government? And why support a government which has been corrupt for years? From a Google search: "still ranked the second most corrupt country in Europe, after Russia, according to Transparency International." Russia has been in a weakened state since the collapse of the former Soviet Union. One can argue that Putin's dictatorship and his kleptocratic supporters have only weakened and impoverished Russia further. Best to remember former President George Washington's admonition to avoid foreign entanglements. I agree with the sentiment that US dollars could be better spent at home.

Posts: 223 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Western ammunition supplies 'are at the bottom of the barrel' with the war in Ukraine showing no sign of ending, NATO warns

NATO's top official said ammo reserves were at the 'bottom of the barrel'

The UK's minister for armed forces said the West needs to build its support capacity

It comes as cracks in the West's support for Ukraine have begun to show

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...ding-NATO-warns.html

NATO has warned that western supplies of ammunition for Ukraine are rapidly depleting, as Russia's invasion shows no sign of ending.

The warning comes as Ukraine's allies urged the besieged country to continue the fight, despite waning support from major military partners.

NATO's most senior military official Admiral Rob Bauer said on Tuesday at the Warsaw Security Forum: 'The bottom of the barrel is now visible.'

'We give away weapons systems to Ukraine, which is great, and ammunition, but not from full warehouses. We started to give away from half-full or lower warehouses in Europe,' Bauer said, adding that even these stores were getting low.

NATO officials weren't the only ones who admitted that ammunition stockpiles were low.

More at link

AND:

https://www.breitbart.com/euro...ve-ukraine-warns-uk/

Britain Warns West is Running Out of Weapons to Give Ukraine

Posts: 13049 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Taking Russia down isn't a literal phrase and you know it.
No, I don't know anything of the sort. I took your remark at face value, and if it's only metaphor, perhaps you should consider making your points clearer. If you want mind-readers, you're in the wrong forum.

Let's talk about realities. You're making bold predictions about a nuclear superpower which you have no way of proving. It's merely speculation and wishful thinking on your part. Here's the reality: it is a fact that billions upon billions of dollars have been taken from the US treasury and disappeared into a demonstrably corrupt country involved in an Eastern European border conflict. This is taxpayer money, and it's gone, and that is a fact, not some Goddamned wet dream about crushing Crazy Ivan. Quite frankly, it's laughable that all this talk about what wasting all that taxpayer money is really doing came after those who support this obscenity needed to mount a defense when taxpayers had the audacity to object to the way their money was being spent; it comes across like puerile rationalization.

This attitude that Russia is evil and our greatest enemy seems to be a Cold War hangover. If you want to guard against danger, look to China. Russians have always evinced cynicism at their communist system, but the Chinese Communist Party seeks to crush all dissent. Forget the Russians and the tantrum-throwing government of North Korea; China is the greatest threat to the world, and here we are, depleting not only our treasury, but also critical stockpiles of weaponry. If you think the CCP isn't paying close attention to our folly...

But, you can take comfort in knowing that you're in fine company with your outsized fear of Russia: all the ladies on The View, just about every major news agency in the country, all the Ukrainian flag-waving imbeciles on Facebook and Twitter and wherever else, all the mindless leftists, and every gullible soccer mom ever to drive an SUV. They're all stupid and brainwashed. What's your excuse?

Posts: 108990 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post