SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 ... 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Entitled Voracious Appetite

Today, the press seems to think that it is entitled to control where a press conference may be held, who may attend, where they should sit and whether it must be televised. We are told that short of their demands, freedom of the press and liberty are in mortal danger. What a bunch of spoiled brats.

Historically, the president has exercised his discretion in the terms of press entitlement. Indeed, the press has even been limited to putting questions in writing and the republic still survived and thrived.

In our time, so much of the media has started to quote each other while pushing polls that rival tea leaves for accuracy. President Trump is doing the American people a favor by helping the press relearn a lesson that it has long forgotten: the president can chose how he discloses information.

What frightens the press is losing the monopolistic channel by which it came to believe that the media could manipulate Americans into believing whatever the media establishment wanted.

Today, the old has become new again. Presidents have always had ways of reaching people directly. Word of mouth grew into radio which grew into television – a medium that gave us moving pictures to make communication more complete. Now, the internet has dislodged the choke points media types formerly used to edit the president. Scary for them.

The point of press coverage is to accurately inform the people. Well the media hasn’t performed its valid function too well. It is now no longer big media’s time. It is now time for direct accuracy whether we like it or not. Tweets, interviews and rallies streamed on You Tube give people clarity about what the president believes and thinks.

In considering the media’s whining about changing press conferences, perhaps a bit of history from Franklin Delano Rosevelt’s first press conference may provide some context:

Excerpt from President Franklin D. Roosevelt's First Press Conference
CONFIDENTIAL
Press Conference #1
At the White House, Executive Offices
March 8, 1933, 10:10 A.M.

(Mr. Young introduced the members of the Press to the President.)

THE PRESIDENT: It is very good to see you all and my hope is that these conferences are going to be merely enlarged editions of the kind of very delightful family conferences I have been holding in Albany for the last four years. I am told that what I am about to do will become impossible, but I am going to try it.

We are not going to have any more written questions and of course while I cannot answer seventy-five or a hundred questions because I simply haven't got the physical time, I see no reason why I should not talk to you ladies and gentlemen off the record just the way I have been doing in Albany and the way I used to do it in the Navy Department down here.

Quite a number of you, I am glad to see, date back to the days of the previous existence which I led in Washington.
(Interruption – "These two boys are off for Arizona." [FDR's sons] John and Franklin Roosevelt saying "good-bye".)

And so I think we will discontinue the practice of compelling the submitting of questions in writing before the conference in order to get an answer. There will be many questions, of course, that I won't answer, either because they are "if" questions – and I never answer them – and Brother Stephenson will tell you what an "if" question is –

MR. STEPHENSON: I ask forty of them a day.

THE PRESIDENT: And the others, of course, are the questions which for various reasons I don't want to discuss or I am not ready to discuss or I don't know anything about. There will be a great many questions you will ask about that I don't know enough about to answer.

Then, in regard to news announcements, Steve [Early] and I thought that it was best that street news for use of here should always be without direct quotations. In other words, I don't want to be directly quoted, with the exception that direct quotations will be given out by Steve in writing. Of course that makes that perfectly clear.

Then there are two other matters we will talk about: The first is "background information", which means material which can be used by all of you on your own authority and responsibility and must not be attributed to the White House . . . .

Then the second thing is the "off the record" information which means, of course, confidential information which is given only to those who attend the [press] conference.

Now there is one thing I want to say right now on which I think you will go along with me. I want to ask you not to repeat this "off the record" confidential information either to your own editors or associates who are not here because there is always the danger that while you people might not violate the rule, somebody may forget to say, "This is off the record and confidential", and the other party may use it in a story. That is to say, it is not to be used and not to be told to those fellows who happen not to come around to the conference. In other words, this is only for those present.

Now, as to news, I don't think there is any. (Laughter) . . . . . .
[Source: The American Presidency Project] Link to Press Conference

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The intelligence outfit that produced the Trump dossier which turns out to be mostly false has some connections with Dems it doesn't want to talk about. Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
good article

It always bothered me that John McCain also provided the FBI the phony dossier. He is so helpful.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Black Unemployment at Lowest Level in 17 Years

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...west-level-17-years/

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Report This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
The Hill–Bannon: Trump’s Strategy Is ‘Let the Warfighters Fight the War’

White House chief strategist Steve Bannon cast President Trump's defense policy as one that puts military power into the hands of the "warfighters."

"The President believes the best thing to do is to let the warfighters fight the war," Bannon told CNN.

But the chief strategist also said that Trump has ultimately held onto his ability to oversee "anything important on the warfighting side," according to CNN, adding that he has remained deeply involved in developing military strategy.

"He hasn't given up any of the strategic decisions," Bannon said.

Trump has increasingly empowered the Pentagon and military leaders to make tactical military decisions, breaking from the precedent of White House oversight carried out by both Republican and Democratic administrations in the past, CNN reported.

The move, administration officials say, is designed to reverse Obama administration – and, to a lesser extent, George W. Bush administration – practices that weigh down military campaigns and hamper commanders' abilities to make tactical decisions.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...rfighters-fight-war/

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Report This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Does anybody else feel this?

There seems to be a subtle shift.

May just be my imagination (or wishful thinking) but I think the wind might be shifting.

Definite. I'm seeing more stories about how dems want to focus on solving constituent issues, that Russia isn't an important topic.

They seemed to be very concerned about "obstruction of justice" and "we need an investigation to get the facts" right up until the investigation pointed to actual obstruction by Lynch.

They have shifted to screaching about how repealing ACA will kill everybody that doesn't vote D.

They have nothing but opposition, and are losing repeatedly. They're wringing their hands and pretending to soul search, but they know why. Identity politics, racism, and hatred of American values. It's not working. The world's biggest embarrassing idiot is outmaneuvering them at every turn. What does that make them? How awful must it be to get your ass handed to you by the guy you've spent two years branding as incompetent? You're losing to that guy? Lol.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Report This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Sometimes I do wonder, though. President Trump has just put out the idea of putting solar panels on the border wall, hoping to make enough money to pay for it. I see a major problem with that: to face south (the direction of the Sun) the panels would have to be on the Mexican side of the wall. I think the panels would be destroyed almost immediately, either inadvertently by climbing attempts or intentionally just for spite. It's a terrible idea.

flashguy

All sorts of ways to mount the panels without exposing to needless risk. Bonus points for claiming the left is against renewable energy for being against the wall.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This is why I've long counseled patience in the face of this outrageous, puerile nonsense from the Left. If you truly believe- as I do- that there is absolutely no truth to the accusations against President Trump, then you should have faith that these accusations will eventually be revealed as the complete fabrications they are. Gentlemen and ladies, we are getting there. Yes, you can see it. We are getting there. In the interim, the stupid Leftists are further damaging their shattered reputations.

Truth like a bastard comes into the world
Never without ill-fame to him who gives her birth

- John Milton

Have faith. We are getting there.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^Amen.

The tides are turning and I love it!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20825 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Sometimes I do wonder, though. President Trump has just put out the idea of putting solar panels on the border wall, hoping to make enough money to pay for it. I see a major problem with that: to face south (the direction of the Sun) the panels would have to be on the Mexican side of the wall. I think the panels would be destroyed almost immediately, either inadvertently by climbing attempts or intentionally just for spite. It's a terrible idea.

flashguy

All sorts of ways to mount the panels without exposing to needless risk. Bonus points for claiming the left is against renewable energy for being against the wall.
With a big enough ladder, they can climb the wall. If there are solar panels anywhere facing south, they would be vulnerable.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed, para.

"Nay, indeed, if you had your eyes, you might fail of the knowing me: it is a wise father that knows his
own child.
Well, old man, I will tell you news of your son: give me your blessing: truth will come
to light; murder cannot be hid long; a man's son may, but at the length truth will out."

- Shakespeare The Merchant of Venice

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Report This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:

flashguy

With a big enough ladder, they can climb the wall. If there are solar panels anywhere facing south, they would be vulnerable.

flashguy

With a big enough ladder they can climb any wall, with a helicopter they could go over the tallest...guess no point in building one then huh?

Just one idea, slightly tilted/angled wall with the leading edge leaning south. Panels mounted on catwalk type of structure on north side of lean below the top of the angled wall unobstructed sunlight and protection. Also it is important to note that there is much of the border that is not strictly East-West orientation.

(not to scale...)

Finally, given how high in the sky the sun is panels could be mounted damn near horizontally and still get a lot of light.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
^^Amen.

The tides are turning and I love it!

Please don't tell me not to worry. It's the only thing I'm good at!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
The solar panel wall would ostensibly be used to generate electricity. Given the length of the wall and how sunny it is down along the border, I would imagine it would generate a lot of fairly high voltage, high current electricity. That electricity would need to be carried by high voltage power lines, probably along the top of the wall.

I would certainly hate for anyone to be electro-killified attempting to climb that wall in deliberate violation of our great nation's immigration laws. That would be a shame.

A 2,000 mile long solar powered bug illegal-immigrant zapper? What evil genius came up with this diabolical plan?

>>> TRUMP <<<

Making America Great Again

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Beyond the hardcore base, nobody bought the whole Russia fabrication. And the Democrats have done nothing but flog that dead horse. Since Trump's election, they are now 0 for 4, having just lost with the pajama boy.

"Collusion" was a dud, and now-- God bless their stubborn stupidity-- they are carrying on about "obstruction." That would be, you know, obstruction of the investigation of the non-collusion. :roll eyes:

They have the MSM, academia, and the entertainment industry propagandizing for them every day, day in and day out. Therefore it's easy to miss just how the party is foundering, how detached it is from the heartland of America. Even a dead rattlesnake can bite you, so I don't discount the danger they pose. But they are on the fast track to becoming not only a bunch of losers, but a national joke.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
CIA Director Mike Pompeo:

" I’m with the President nearly every day .

We have 35 or 40 minutes on his schedule. That almost always runs long, which is great.

Great questions. He is a serious consumer of the product that the intelligence community delivers, and I appreciate that, because I think it informs how he thinks about the world.

I know that my predecessor handled it differently. Wasn’t there very often."

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...on-the-rise-n2346291

oddly enough, this interview was on the first episode of Hugh Hewitt's MSNBC show.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I have QUICKLY lost my interest in Hugh Hewitt. He and Michael Medved are both closet Lib-tards and they can both garner knee pads and blow each other.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
"Collusion" was a dud, and now-- God bless their stubborn stupidity-- they are carrying on about "obstruction." That would be, you know, obstruction of the investigation of the non-collusion. :roll eyes

It's tough to keep up with the Democrats outrage, but I thought they started with obstruction, and now they are on collusion.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://insider.foxnews.com/201...-tune-out-david-webb

Radio show host David Webb said that the 'tune-out' factor is coming into play with Americans listening to Democrats' message or their lack thereof.

"Anyone who looks for what the Democrats stand for can't find it," Webb said.

"The tune-out factor is coming to play," the radio personality said.

"Americans go 'what matters to me?' My economy, my kitchen table, and my security."

Congressional Democrats have shown zero support for the GOP health care bill currently up for a vote in the Senate.

They have mostly left Republicans on their own to try to pass the federal budget and tax reform as well.

Webb commented that the Trump administration's agenda is less Trump's agenda and more that of the voters who chose him .

While Democrats are not obstructing everything, such as executive orders, they are "getting in the way" of many aspects of the "people's agenda," he said.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
just because