SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2020 Summer Olympics
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2020 Summer Olympics Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Now that is a movie with a swordfight! Also Tyrone Power in The Mark of Zorro and Stewart Granger in Scaramouche.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Basil Rathbone (Sir Guy) was a classically trained fencer. In "The Mark of Zorro," he and Tyrone Power demonstrate some real skills with swords.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Captain Blood

Posts: 1559 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of which is way more entertaining and probably more physical than Olympic fencing. Ugh.

Posts: 7483 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

She's the oldest member of the team at 24 and, she's the most decorated gymnast in history; not sure I've seen any chest-beating or, grand-standing from Biles. Should she decline every endorsement deal that comes her way? She was also the biggest name to come out against that pervert Larry Nasser.

Umm she is wearing a GOAT leotard for starters. Pretty sure I saw something where she was walking around with a goat behind her as well. I've seen a ton of other cocky stuff around her lately, so if this was mental, she is getting some humility.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/new...oat-leotard/2563924/

I don't follow gymnastics super close, perhaps you're more aware of the issues here, but, from my observations, a bedazzled goat isn't something to get super worked up about. She's done a bunch of commercials, good for her in getting those endorsements, has she been hitting the talking-show circuit getting her tires pumped-up by everyone, blowing-up her ego so everyone knows the champion has entered the area? I mean, its not like she's rolling-in with colored extensions, long painted nails, jewelry flinging about and talking smack....

Posts: 14655 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Corsair, you said she wasn’t chest beating. What do you think dragging around a goat is if not chest beating?

Posts: 7483 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Enough with the farm animals

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried fencing years back - it's much more difficult and strenuous than one might think.

They need to bring MMA into the Olympics so the viewing audience can get a good dose of what woop-ass looks like.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
They need to bring MMA into the Olympics so the viewing audience can get a good dose of what woop-ass looks like.

Can you imagine how beat up the final 2 fighters would be after fighting 5 days in a roll?

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that park ranger really named Mike Litorus?

Somebody is playing with the teleprompter again methinks. Lol

Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
I still think it would have been fun to have an average Joe do some of these events. Film them beforehand and then when the race is run, have them superimposed into the race. That way no one loses a spot and gives some perspective on how good these athlete really are.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
I still think it would have been fun to have an average Joe do some of these events. Film them beforehand and then when the race is run, have them superimposed into the race. That way no one loses a spot and gives some perspective on how good these athlete really are.

Rich Eisen does that each year at the NFL Combine on the 40-yard dash. It is a bit eye-opening when you see his superimposed image being overtaken by a 300+lb lineman

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:

Can you imagine how beat up the final 2 fighters would be after fighting 5 days in a roll?

Days? The original format of UFC in the 90's had a fighter competing 3x in one evening. Yeah - brutal.

Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
The Monty Python Olympics: Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15483 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Is it that, or did she hurt her ankle? If it's mental, then that's what she gets for parading around with goats and thinking she's the greatest of all time.

At this point I've heard both, so I don't know. Most seem to say an injury though.

By the way, nope. Biles quit because she couldn't hack it mentally. You know, just wasn't feeling it that day.

This may be harsh to some, but I find this to be pathetic. No, I'll soften that. I find it sad. And it perfectly represents the attitude of many in this generation. She just wasn't having fun she said.

I'm glad I was a teenager then watching the Kerri Strug's compete in the Olympics representing her country and her team, rather than now watching the Simone Biles' representing herself. Not having fun she said....smh.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe Simone had a stomach acid issue?

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Really disappointing to see the armchair criticism on what was just some particularly amazing Olympic fencing. I too enjoy the Erroll Flynn movies etc, but it is not comparable to bring up scripted bouts that, except for the Princess Bride, have 5-15 second cuts before new action is set up.

I've been on the practice strip personally with Lee, and had actual bruises left through the lame and gear from her amazing point control. She has been a generational talent who has won many Pan-Am games, won world championships and now the Olympics - and is a Notre Dame graduate, 4x NCAA champion, and is now half way through medical school. She's a very sweet and real person.

Some in this thread get it, understand and support sacrifice and achievement among deserving athletes. I honor their conversation.

Others want to just take a dump on sports that they don't understand, and that's really disappointing from SigForum. It's still better that YouTube where people were putting in comments "what's her 'Only Fans' webpage address", but for the first time I've really been disappointed by some of these comments.

I appreciate Para and others' comments delineating differences in athletes with honor and those for whom they (and I) have not patience for on the public stage. I just wish a few would pause and keep in mind that there are deserving, American athletes who have put in over 20 years of effort to get to this point, and who are people that any one of us would enjoy knowing and calling friend.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I can't recall ever watching it before, but women's Rugby is badass. These are some bad bitches. I'm quite enjoying the match I must say.

USA vs China on right now. USA channel.

Scratch that. Game concluded. USA won. France vs Fiji now.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems weird without spectators.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Is it that, or did she hurt her ankle? If it's mental, then that's what she gets for parading around with goats and thinking she's the greatest of all time.

At this point I've heard both, so I don't know. Most seem to say an injury though.

By the way, nope. Biles quit because she couldn't hack it mentally. You know, just wasn't feeling it that day.

This may be harsh to some, but I find this to be pathetic. No, I'll soften that. I find it sad. And it perfectly represents the attitude of many in this generation. She just wasn't having fun she said.

I'm glad I was a teenager then watching the Kerri Strug's compete in the Olympics representing her country and her team, rather than now watching the Simone Biles' representing herself. Not having fun she said....smh.

IMHO people will be talking about this for years. Mental health and well being, balanced with Duty to mission. Some people have such strong duty to mission it will kill them. Others will say "ah screw it" and walk away when they feel the chips are down.

It's difficult to know exactly what happened in this case, because honestly all we have is the MSM feeding us whatever story will keep our brains asking for more MSM. They have to make a soap opera out of it to keep ratings.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post