SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2020 Summer Olympics
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2020 Summer Olympics Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://hotair.com/karen-towns...kyo-you-know-n406031

If you tuned into the Tokyo Olympics and saw a team competing from ROC you were probably wondering which country that might be. That would be understandable as there is no country that competes with the ROC designation. ROC is being used by the Russians, you know, the country allegedly banned from competing in the Olympics due to doping violations.

ROC stands for Russian Olympic Committee, but it’s a made-up label by the Russians. It’s a loophole being used in order for their athletes to compete in the Olympics. More than 330 Russian athletes are competing but not actually representing Russia, wink, wink. It’s ridiculous. Here’s the thing – in 2019, Russia was banned from international competition for four years because of perpetrating the biggest doping scandals in sports history. The ban was for four years but it was recently reduced to two years. Apparently even the reduced ban doesn’t even matter as the Russians are working around it and their athletes are competing. One example of past cheating happened during the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. Russians swapped more than 100 tainted urine samples for clean samples overnight. That sort of illegal action during competition fueled a reputation Russia has held for a very long time. They cheat and dope to win.

Posts: 19598 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Living in Colorado Springs, I've met a few of the Olympic athletes, and the vast majority of the are type we here would like to see represent the US in the games. They want to be known for trying to be the best at the sport they do, and don't want publicity of things outside that. The ones I met didn't outright say it, but they are resenting what is happening with the loudmouths ruining things for everyone else. The one was pretty sad about how things are going, where all the drama and bullshit are completely overwhelming news coverage of the people just working hard and competing their best.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Yep, had to google who the ROC was a few days ago

Posts: 5342 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Olympics? You mean the Woke X Games?

P A S S

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The trans weight lifter from NZ failed to record a single snatch lift.

I'm sure there's a joke there somewhere…

Posts: 4781 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Dick Fosbury, Innovator, Mexico City 1968.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZsH46Ek2ao

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15906 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Dick Fosbury, Innovator, Mexico City 1968.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZsH46Ek2ao

I wonder how he feels about these guys deciding to share the high jump gold.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/o...ie-share-gold-medal/

Posts: 4781 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K0ZZZ:
Living in Colorado Springs, I've met a few of the Olympic athletes, and the vast majority of the are type we here would like to see represent the US in the games. They want to be known for trying to be the best at the sport they do, and don't want publicity of things outside that. The ones I met didn't outright say it, but they are resenting what is happening with the loudmouths ruining things for everyone else. The one was pretty sad about how things are going, where all the drama and bullshit are completely overwhelming news coverage of the people just working hard and competing their best.

I have several friends who's family are past Olympic-competitors, this is a similar sentiment.

The US sends 621 athletes to compete, maybe 10-15 of them are of the loud mouth, make-everything political variety, where the media is eager to follow and get a sound bite; there's another 30-40 'supporters' of these loud mouths who ride the coattails of their outspoke, over-exposed colleagues. That leaves at least 570 athletes are there to compete, damn happy to be there and not looking for any distractions.

Posts: 14672 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
The trans weight lifter from NZ failed to record a single snatch lift.

I'm sure there's a joke there somewhere…

"It" could not find its snatch with both hands.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

I have several friends who's family are past Olympic-competitors, this is a similar sentiment.

The US sends 621 athletes to compete, maybe 10-15 of them are of the loud mouth, make-everything political variety, where the media is eager to follow and get a sound bite; there's another 30-40 'supporters' of these loud mouths who ride the coattails of their outspoke, over-exposed colleagues. That leaves at least 570 athletes are there to compete, damn happy to be there and not looking for any distractions.

All it takes to ruin a garden party is for one skunk to show up. A whole family of “skunks” have taken up residence in the USOC house. Beyond time to get rid of ‘em.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2706 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
these guys deciding to share the high jump gold.
I saw that, my immediate response was WTF? They better be going to cut that medal in half and give each of them their portion. I guess I'm OK if they each get a full ribbon to hang their half-medal from, but, again, WTF?

Posts: 6501 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!

Posts: 43 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: May 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Living in Colorado Springs, I've met a few of the Olympic athletes, and the vast majority of the are type we here would like to see represent the US in the games. They want to be known for trying to be the best at the sport they do, and don't want publicity of things outside that. The ones I met didn't outright say it, but they are resenting what is happening with the loudmouths
ruining things for everyone else. The one was pretty sad about how things are going, where all the drama and bullshit are completely overwhelming news coverage of the people just working hard and competing their best.

Perhaps the epitome of an Olympic athlete, back in the day, was Dan Gable, the wrestler. Won gold in the ‘72 Olympics. Mental stress? Of course. Thoughts of quitting? Hell no! In fact he laid it out pretty well,
“When I’m ready to stop I start wondering what the Russians are doing, and then I keep going,” Gable said.

He beat the Russian opponent for the gold.

Posts: 818 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
If you think BMX riding, synchronised swimming, and such are bad, you should have been at the 1948 event: Art Competitions at the 1948 Olympiad

quote:
Art competitions were held as part of the 1948 Summer Olympics in London, Great Britain. Medals were awarded in five categories (architecture, literature, music, painting, and sculpture), for works inspired by sport-related themes.[1]

The art exhibition was held at the Victoria and Albert Museum from 15 July to 14 August, and displayed works of art from 27 different countries. The literature competition attracted 44 entries, and the music competition had 36 entries.[2]

The art competitions included multiple subcategories for each of the five artistic categories.[3] The judges declined to award any medals for dramatic works in literature, and no gold medals in another five subcategories. Alex Diggelmann of Switzerland won both a silver medal and a bronze medal for two different entries in the applied arts and crafts subcategory, a feat unlikely to be duplicated in any event in the current Olympic program.

Nail-biting stuff!

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tamyra Mensah-Stock wins Gold Medal for USA in women’s wrestling (yootoob link to the match)!

There are three videos of her in this twitr link (sorry) which shows her genuine enthusiasm on the hard work and dedication it took to win, her pride in representing the USA and her love of family and God.

Very nice to see this.

Posts: 3491 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^I was glad to see photos of her proudly waving an American flag.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5167 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
There's a lot to dislike about too many of our athletes, whether it's the political posing or just the preening. Still, I've stopped for a look here and there and have enjoyed some of it. I particularly enjoyed Xander Schauffele's golf gold.

It's the parade of sanctimonious, insufferably woke ads that keep me away. They're really laying it on thick. It doesn't matter who's competing, I'm not putting up with the lies and insults the commercials are slinging out.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8356 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I can't help it, I love watching the Olympics. I love seeing moments like the female wrestler above. There's been quite a few of those type moments for me in this Olympics. Mostly with the American athletes but also with other country's athletes as well, like the Swedish discus thrower who won Gold and walked around with a raised Swedish flag yelling, "I'm a Swedish Viking! I love my country!" I just eat that stuff up.

Just a little while ago, one of the most memorable track races I've watched--right up there with Michael Johnson and his gold sneakers and Usain Bolt and his cocky but infectiously charismatic attitude--happened with USA's Sydney McLaughlin breaking her own world record and winning Gold. Fellow American Dalilah Muhammad got Silver who also was very gracious and inspiring. It was an incredible race. McLaughlin appears to have a real solid head on her shoulders. Very stoic and also says she's grateful to be there representing her country with no apologies. And she's only 21. When I heard that she chose the University of Kentucky over USC, I knew I would like this girl.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am almost embarrassed to say that I watched a few minutes of singles badminton over the weekend. I was amazed at the speed and agility of the competitors.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post