SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US is monitoring Chinese spy balloon that has been floating over Montana for the past several days
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US is monitoring Chinese spy balloon that has been floating over Montana for the past several days Login/Join 
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I wonder what the Chinese would do in the same situation? Roll Eyes

They would do what is in China's best interests. Brandon will also do what is in China's best interests.

Posts: 3491 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
I don't take any of these stories about Russia, Ukraine or China as fact. Yes, I think our government/MSM is that corrupt.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Lots of ways… But they went and took a look at it with a drive by via an F-22 reportedly

Just how slow can an F-22 fly at high altitudes? Must have been a really large Made in China sticker for a pilot to read it flying by at 200mph or more.

Posts: 10803 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
[Alec Guinness]That's no balloon...[/Alec Guinness]

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16251 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Can't find anything on stall speed for an F22 (probably for obvious reasons) but found some discussion on F16 & an estimated stall speed around 200kts for a clean configuration at straight/level flight.

Then again, the same discussion put stall speed at 0/not-defined, if aircraft weight is less than afterburner thrust.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15136 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Balloons don't really hover, how has it been over Montana for a few days?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geezus! Can the US Government be any more gutless?
Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15991 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
They want to rattle us, make us jump and shout.

The truth- despite all their posturing and despite the United States having a drooling half-wit for president right now, China knows we possess a nuclear arsenal capable of wiping their smug shit right off of this planet.

Rattlesnakes don't commit suicide.

Let their silly balloon float. It doesn't matter.

Posts: 107234 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
after it was spotted and reported by civilians in a commercial airliner

Our intelligence community appears to be asleep at the wheel.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
The brazen move comes days before Secretary of State Antony Blinken is expected to travel to the Chinese capital for high-level talks.

The power move which I would like to think Trump would do would be this. Shoot the thing down, collect it's hard drive or other obvious components and have A. Blinken hand it over at the talks and say "hey guys, I think you might have lost something."

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20746 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Lots of ways… But they went and took a look at it with a drive by via an F-22 reportedly

Just how slow can an F-22 fly at high altitudes? Must have been a really large Made in China sticker for a pilot to read it flying by at 200mph or more.

Camera/optics … point the jet up … snap photo … burst it off for analysis

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Why the hell have we not blown it out of the sky yet? Regardless if it's Chinese or not.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30287 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with tracking it until we have a way to bring it down intact and dissect it for every iota of intel. But, alas, I'm sure that's not what we'll do.

Posts: 3491 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
We should catapult Stacey Abrahms at it.

At the very least it would scare the shit out of the person looking at the video for the Chinese. Big Grin

More likely the Chinese surveying land to purchase.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Why the hell have we not blown it out of the sky yet?
That's what they expect us to do.

Posts: 107234 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
It should have never been allowed to enter US airspace. I’m sure that NORAD or civilian air traffic controller’s saw it’s approach.

Hail it on the radio.
Send a plane to do a flyby.
Shoot it down.
BEFORE it enters our space.

This is saber rattling by the CCP. They already have satellites that can see into our country.

Now that is inside the US airspace, it should be shot down immediately. Doesn’t matter where it splats. Shoot it down, scrape it up, send it back to them on a boat. And fuck em if anyone inside it die.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11238 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
It should have never been allowed to enter US airspace. I’m sure that NORAD or civilian air traffic controller’s saw it’s approach.

Hail it on the radio.
Send a plane to do a flyby.
Shoot it down.
BEFORE it enters our space.

This is saber rattling by the CCP. They already have satellites that can see into our country.

Now that is inside the US airspace, it should be shot down immediately. Doesn’t matter where it splats. Shoot it down, scrape it up, send it back to them on a boat. And fuck em if anyone inside it die.

This. Why the controversy and discussion? I’d like to harvest its technology so we know what it was, and could be, capable of but why it is still floating around is beyond me.

“The pentagon recommended against it?”

Assuming that statement is even true, you mean the bagram pentagon? LOL…

General Mi Li doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground.

You’re the freakin leader. L E A D.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Where is Michael Keaton and the Batwing when you need them?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Wait... this is over Montana.

See the red spots, that is where all of the people are. See the big green spaces, that is where no one is. Who exactly are they afraid of hurting if they shoot it down???

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37926 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Somehow this old music vid seems appropriate today...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16251 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post