SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US is monitoring Chinese spy balloon that has been floating over Montana for the past several days
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US is monitoring Chinese spy balloon that has been floating over Montana for the past several days Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Aside from the intrusion into US air space being an issue, what have the experts speculated could be gained from this that could not be gained from the hundreds of satellites orbiting over us each day?

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Aside from the intrusion into US air space being an issue, what have the experts speculated could be gained from this that could not be gained from the hundreds of satellites orbiting over us each day?

As posted earlier, the camera resolution is many times better from balloon height than from satellite height.

Also, and this is my speculation, the balloon's unauthorized intrusion into US airspace, particularly over military bases and intelligence installations, triggers responses and signal activity that wouldn't necessarily be triggered by an adversary/ enemy's satellite overflight. We no longer regularly shut down sensitive military or intelligence activities when a foreign satellite passes overhead, but do the same thing with a plane, drone, or balloon and see what happens. Either signal activity is increased, decreased, or perhaps different frequencies or methods of communication are used. It's of immense value to an enemy to know how we would react beforehand to a provocative action or outright war.

Lastly, and again this is speculation on my part, you can't dismiss the value of the political and diplomatic messages that an intrusion of this kind sends.

We invade your airspace, and watch to see how you will react...how the US reacts tells, not only China, but the rest of the world watching, how we will react when an even more aggregious incursion or invasion occurs.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Cell and WiFi data, both civilian and military, possibly could've been gobbled up as well.

Some loose, unconfirmed chatter about people's cell phones acting weird where the balloon flew over.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

Our response.

Why do they fly into Taiwan's airspace on a regular basis or when tensions are high?
Where and how we first detected it, the reactions on the ground, etc.
And a lot of other things I couldn't even think of myself because I don't know what they know or what we know or would like to know.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I hope they recover the payload.
Even better I hope civilians of the coast with boats and scuba gear get to it first.
The Bidet administration wan't this to disappear,

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Well that's a pretty unequivocal, 'No Effin Way...Didn't Happen', from pretty much EVERYONE involved during the Trump Administration!

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...-us-under-last-admin

What a 'Clown Show'...These imbeciles are an embarrassment! They undermine the credibility AND capability of this great nation at EVERY SINGLE OPPORTUNITY! They instill ZERO confidence in our allies, and ZERO fear in our enemies...The embodiment of Incompetence and Buffoonery! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8887 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Cell and WiFi data, both civilian and military, possibly could've been gobbled up as well.

Some loose, unconfirmed chatter about people's cell phones acting weird where the balloon flew over.

Excellent point that I had considered, but failed to mention in my post. Who knows, maybe the spy balloon was vacuuming up personal private data collected by Tik Tok users. Also, I think that it's at least worth considering that there have been several instances of suspicious and unauthorized antennas popping up around the US recently, such as the antenna network in the mountains above Salt Lake City.

Or, perhaps some lower level mapping mission for a particular route.

I've even wondered if there is a Chinese spy network in the US that is using this spy balloon as some sort of aerial electronic dead drop.

Or, conversely, maybe in addition to collecting information, it is transmitting it. Computer viruses, instructions or data for spy networks, codes etc...

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I hope they recover the payload.
Even better I hope civilians of the coast with boats and scuba gear get to it first.
The Bidet administration wan't this to disappear,

To prevent civilians from salvaging this wreck, I believe the Coast Guard and Navy established an exclusionary zone around the impact site.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Xi never would have attempted this stunt while Trump was in office. Trump wouldn't have shown weakness and would likely have ordered a massive preemptive nuclear strike on all Chinese military assets. Sounds like someone in the military mutinied and decided to shoot the balloon down despite Biden's orders to appease the Chinese and protect wildlife on the ground from falling debries.

Posts: 628 | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Xi never would have attempted this stunt while Trump was in office. Trump wouldn't have shown weakness …

You were doing OK until that point.

Posts: 27963 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fox News has also learned at least one Chinese spy balloon flew over portions of Texas and Florida during the Trump administration, despite the former president's insistence it never happened.

Yet Fox or any other news outlet has yet to provide any evidence at all to back up this claim.

So, until they do...horseshit. Respectfully of course.

quote:
Originally posted by Carpentermaass84:
Xi never would have attempted this stunt while Trump was in office. Trump wouldn't have shown weakness and would likely have ordered a massive preemptive nuclear strike on all Chinese military assets. Sounds like someone in the military mutinied and decided to shoot the balloon down despite Biden's orders to appease the Chinese and protect wildlife on the ground from falling debries.

Haha, ok.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The Chinese just wanted to see if Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow or not.

Posts: 10943 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea.... Fox News... the same "news" outlet that called the election for Biden. There is 0% chance the Chinese would have tested Trump.

Posts: 628 | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and would likely have ordered a massive preemptive nuclear strike on all Chinese military assets.

Roll Eyes

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6731 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Xi never would have attempted this stunt while Trump was in office. Trump wouldn't have shown weakness …

You were doing OK until that point.

And I would say this…

The Chinese just added 20 points to Trump’s polling score … lmao Big Grin

These things have unintended consequences, and the Asiatic mind does not think like the Western mind.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Xi never would have attempted this stunt while Trump was in office. Trump wouldn't have shown weakness and would likely have ordered a massive preemptive nuclear strike on all Chinese military assets.
Do you wish to remain a member of this forum? If so, you will refrain from ever again mentioning Donald Trump in this place. If you want to appear that you have your head up your ass, do it elsewhere. You have been warned. There will be no further warnings.

Try me

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I am underestimating our counter intelligence community, but I just can't for the life of me think it would be a challenge for any of the tens of thousands of Chinese nationals already in out country to hop in a car, or rent a plane and do this on their own with far less publicity.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yep, this country is loaded with Chinese "smart" electronics and foreign nationals. What do they need a balloon to do that all these resources in place cannot or will not do?

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
CW Lemoine “Mover” flew USAF F16’s then Navy F18’s, I’ve been a subscriber for several years. Man knows what he talks about.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post