SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US is monitoring Chinese spy balloon that has been floating over Montana for the past several days
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US is monitoring Chinese spy balloon that has been floating over Montana for the past several days Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because the device fell into a relatively shallow area, which has an estimated depth of 47 feet, the recovery mission is expected to be "fairly easy," one official stated. However, officials said there was no estimate for the length of the mission.

I'm ready to go dive the new wreck. Big Grin

I've done many dives off the NC and SC coast. Always preferred the deeper wrecks to the shallow ones. 90'+ is always warmer and clearer water than the closer in shallow stuff. When you get further offshore you get the gulf stream which brings warmer water up through the Atlantic.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16406 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Faux outrage from the commies. Typical leftist behavior- start some shit, then accuse the other side of being the problem.

China fumes after US pops its balloon, warns of possible ‘responses’ to ‘clear overreaction’

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33849 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
I think a couple hundred rounds of 20mm would perforate the envelope enough to have fall pretty fast.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3071 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Our once great nation is being led by a bunch of baboons
I'm thinking baboons in charge might be an improvement.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
A thought occurred to me tonight: what if this “spy balloon” was a red herring and it really was only a test of our military response which was absolutely slow and pathetic. What if China is getting ready to move on Taiwan and wanted to get a gauge of how fast we’d respond so they’d know how fast to roll in there.

If this was a test, we failed miserably and China now knows we’ll most likely sit back and do nothing if they invade Taiwan.

Yikes

Posts: 33849 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5168 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
it is CNN, but a good video of the shoot down

link:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/wor...acostanr-vpx-sot.cnn

Posts: 19599 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure the got the right ballon (maybe they did) but this came down near our house.

Posts: 12472 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
You know, these balloons are in a gross but definite way maneuverable. If you have control over altitude, and a well-established knowledge of general wind patterns...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16378 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
A thought occurred to me tonight: what if this “spy balloon” was a red herring and it really was only a test of our military response which was absolutely slow and pathetic. What if China is getting ready to move on Taiwan and wanted to get a gauge of how fast we’d respond so they’d know how fast to roll in there.

If this was a test, we failed miserably and China now knows we’ll most likely sit back and do nothing if they invade Taiwan.

Yikes
A trial balloon of sorts.

Posts: 10996 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I’m on pins and needles waiting to find out how they explain that one.

They probably will not attempt to explain anything about it. Like other issues, they will just ignore it. There is no adequate explanation for their letting the balloon travel across the entire USA before taking it down, over land so we could see what equipment it was carrying. A whole lot of sensitive information was lost. Not surprising to me.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
If a few rounds of 20mm pierced both sides of that balloon, it'd have come down plenty quick. What a fiasco. I'm really shocked they felt they needed this. Between satellites and cyber, and frankly, just flying people over and renting cars at Alamo, what the hell more could this be doing?

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Biden sure as fuck made for damn sure they gathered everything they needed.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34132 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it had a fortune cookie attached? We should send them a balloon with a box of Cracker Jack.

Posts: 17905 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Our once great nation is being led by a bunch of baboons

Green spider monkeys, the tree rats of Africa.

Baboons are strong, troop centric, and dangerous.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31470 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking BUFFOONS as in clowns, NOT baboons!

Used in a sentence...They are simply incompetent buffoons who have no idea what they are doing! Just Sayin' Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8937 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Faux outrage from the commies. Typical leftist behavior- start some shit, then accuse the other side of being the problem.

China fumes after US pops its balloon, warns of possible ‘responses’ to ‘clear overreaction’

We know how this game works from here. China is going to shoot down something of ours allegedly in Chinese airspace, probably, manned, and then shit will begin to escalate from there. China is claiming ‘we all do this’ to each other, we all know that we do this to each other, and the US overreacted when the press found out and began to run with it. I have zero problem believing any of that by the way.

It’s being reported that the DOD is claiming that this happened 3 times during the Trump era and he didn’t do anything about it.

1: Until someone can legit explain to me why we should allow a craft from another nation to violate our airspace with the obvious intent of spying, then shame on him if true.

2: I don’t care who stands in front of a podium anymore; I don’t believe what you tell me. If “and that’s a pretty big if”, this did happen multiple times during the Trump term, I have very difficult time believing that someone would not have leaked that info to the press to make Trump look foolish or weak.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12344 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post