SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Else Here Not A Fan Of IPA-Everything In Craft Beers?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Else Here Not A Fan Of IPA-Everything In Craft Beers? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Thankfully it looks like this craze of IPA IPA IPA in the craft beer world is starting to wane a little with other styles like classic Pils and Gose and sour beers happening.

I was at an outdoor party Saturday night and all they had was craft IPA and Miller Lite. I'm sorry but I don't find these thick, heavy IPA's to be a refreshing summer beer at all! It sounds like craft brewers love them, especially newer less experienced ones, as they are hard to screw up and mistakes can be masked with even more hops.

I guess I'm biased having spent 4 years in Germany and grew to love a good classic Pils or Hefeweizen type beer, to me both of these are perfect summer beers.

Anyone else not a huge fan of these IPA's dominating the American beer scene?

Posts: 34541 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
The only IPA I could really stand to drink is Dogfish Head 60/90/120 minute, most others are a struggle.

I'm really not a fan of all the IPAs either. I've been wondering why they became some popular myself. I know a lot of drinkers and I swear half of them are lying when they say they enjoy an IPA.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
India Pale Ale is a reproduction of a beer that had to taste that way so it wouldn't rot, not because people preferred the taste.

My favorite beers are local. McGuires light ale, Abita Amber (fairly close) and 30-A beach blond. I think a lot of people act like they like the IPAs because they think it's trendy.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I can't stand it either. IPA is one of my least favorite styles. Traveling now, it's hard to find unique beers because the taps are loaded with them. Personally, I am more of a German beer fan.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7150 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
If I hear shandy one more time I'm gonna kill myself. All these IPAs and Session Ales, what the hell is a session ale. Fuck you I want a beer. Whether its bud light or becks its beer you twat.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5178 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
as they are hard to screw up and mistakes can be masked with even more hops.

Couldn't have said it better. I hate IPA. Like you, I prefer pilsner and lager. Especially in Bavarian style.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I know a lot of drinkers and I swear half of them are lying when they say they enjoy an IPA.

I love IPA. They can be hoppy, or citrusy, light or heavy. Lots of variation.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do truly love a good IPA or Double IPA. That said, most of what's out there sucks, and they can't hide it from me with more hops.

But even more than I love a good particular whatever food/drink/beer, I enjoy variety. I'm looking forward to one of my favorite seasonal hefes coming up soon. Bubbler by New Glarus, an unlikely candidate, but it's fantastic! I'm not going to run out nearly as soon this year, planning on stocking WAY up!

Posts: 1731 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
IPA's have been falling off for quite a while among the newer craft breweries and home brewers that I know. Most beer drinkers I know don't like IPA's all that much. Most go for lagers, ales and stouts. I'm more of a stout guy (Guiness is my go to), but once it warms up I start steering more towards wheat beers.

I don't order IPA's typically but I will try them because they're beer and I want to try them all Smile

The Dogfish head 60/90 are good. Never had the 120 but I was going to make a trip down there maybe in August to see the brewery and try it there.

Neshaminy Creek Brewing has one called County Line IPA, it's decent. They are local to me so I will sometimes order that at a bar.

Posts: 10192 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I like some, but not many, I suppose you could ferment tree sap if they didn't exist. I'm a fan of Belgian beers, wild ales, and some stouts.

Green flash le freak is a great tripel IPA mix.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Me at a brew pub

"Do you brew a German-style lager, something like a Spaten or Weihenstephaner?"

Uh-h, I don't think so, I can check...
He said "No," about the closet you can come is our 'Barely There Wheat Beer.'

"I'll try the 'Just-Like-Fat-Tire Ale,' thanks."

Posts: 13566 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:
All these IPAs and Session Ales, what the hell is a session ale.

A "session ale" is an IPA that's hopped more lightly and has somewhat lower alcohol by volume than more full-bore IPAs. They're called "session" or "all day" IPAs because you can drink more of them, for longer, without burning out on the taste or becoming so blitzed you can't stand up Smile

quote:
Fuck you I want a beer. Whether its bud light ...

Bud Lite is beer only in the very loosest sense of the definition of "beer." "Mildly beer-flavoured carbonated water" would be a more apt description.

The reason real beers are not served at near-freezing temperatures is because they can be. The reason the pop-fizzle rice-water most Americans call "beer" is served so cold is because, if your taste buds weren't numbed by the cold, and you could actually tell what it tasted like, you wouldn't drink it.

quote:
or becks its beer you twat.

Maybe real Beck's, but...

quote:

If you've been drinking Beck's in America, you've been punked for thinking your brew is from Bremen.

Beck's is made in America, just like Bud. In fact, they're crafted in the same breweries.

Source: Deceived Beck's beer drinkers can guzzle $50 refund

The common mass-produced "beers," like Budweiser, bear about as much resemblance to beer as a McDonald's burger does to a real burger. That's fine if that's what you like, but, it ain't beer, any more than grape flavoured Kool-Aid is grape juice.

Btw: Heavily-hopped IPAs aren't the only craft beers available. Not by a long shot. There's every kind imaginable, incl. German-style lagers (what Bud pretends to be), stouts, etc.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of the IPAs but there does seem to be a huge flood of them to the market. Here is the beer capital of Milwaukee, there are some really good local brewers that have developed some other brews that keep my taste buds happy trying their brews. But I'll post this picture to show you why I spend 30 minutes trying to decide on what to bring home...and this is only the domestic they have! Eek

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2222 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Guess I am in the minority, love me some IPA.

I brewed a black IPA a couple years ago that was fantastic. I think the brewer who came up with the recipe called it Darth Vader.

Posts: 11415 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Nasty, nasty, nasty.

I don't care for most beer, but I can't fucking stand super hoppy ones for sure.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of all of fruity crap coming out.

My favorites are Sweetwater 420, Miller high life and Wernesgrüner Pilsner sold at Aldi, depending on my mood

Posts: 5538 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Just give me a Sam Adams or an Anchor Steam or a Sierra Nevada Nooner and I'll be just as happy as a clam.

IPA's I rarely drink anymore.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30901 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I know a lot of drinkers and I swear half of them are lying when they say they enjoy an IPA.

I love IPA. They can be hoppy, or citrusy, light or heavy. Lots of variation.

Liar!! Big Grin

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I love IPA's, I DONT love that it's become a competition to see who can make theirs the hoppiest. I cant drink half of them anymore.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Thankfully it looks like this craze of IPA IPA IPA in the craft beer world is starting to wane a little with other styles like classic Pils and Gose and sour beers happening.

I was at an outdoor party Saturday night and all they had was craft IPA and Miller Lite. I'm sorry but I don't find these thick, heavy IPA's to be a refreshing summer beer at all! It sounds like craft brewers love them, especially newer less experienced ones, as they are hard to screw up and mistakes can be masked with even more hops.

I guess I'm biased having spent 4 years in Germany and grew to love a good classic Pils or Hefeweizen type beer, to me both of these are perfect summer beers.

Anyone else not a huge fan of these IPA's dominating the American beer scene?

I think there are plenty of people out there that feel exactly as you do. But I do generally get looked at funny when I suggest that I don't like IPA's. I think I'd rather submit to a spinal tap procedure than drink an IPA.

quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
I love IPA's, I DONT love that it's become a competition to see who can make theirs the hoppiest. I cant drink half of them anymore.
Perhaps this is my problem with them too.

Posts: 7392 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post