SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Else Here Not A Fan Of IPA-Everything In Craft Beers?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Else Here Not A Fan Of IPA-Everything In Craft Beers? Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I think the IPA market is so over saturated that companies have to do something to stand out, and that something is usually subpar. I still like to drink Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, one of the earlier companies, along with Anchor Steam Liberty Ale and of course Bass Ale (gotta have Bass in a Black & Tan).

Nowadays for a hot summer, lawn-cutting beer, I'll take an ice-cold Coors Golden Banquet beer, preferably in the short bottles.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17154 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Agree. Not an IPA fan here. The only one I've found tolerable was Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17598 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
I was professionally involved in the craft industry very early. Luckily (or not) I was taught how to brew by a TRUE German Master Brewer who graduated top of his class at Doemans in Munich after his apprenticeship in Bavaria. He was 1 of 12 in the country that held the brewing certifications he does. Which included the "Big 3"

To say the least, his perfectionistic attitude towards brewing basically ruined me on what was and mostly is available today within the craft beers (they have gotten much better since I was in it 25yrs ago)

I opt to typically not taste a beer while one of the brewers is present as I can typically and have told them what they did incorrect through the process

Is it true that lagers are more difficult for a craft or micro-brewer to make than ales and stouts? Sure seems like many brew pubs don't even make a lager.

That's my understanding that a good lager takes true skill to make while any yahoo with a carboy and a pot can throw an ale together.

I was told that lagers are pretty much impossible to "fix" if they go wrong where ales are more forgiving and off flavors can be masked with hops and malt.

Lagers take a lot longer to make too, which is why I think you don't see a lot of craft brewers making them.

Posts: 34541 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I used to love IPA's. Until my body decided that they now give me the screaming shits, every time. Last attempt was several months ago, had about six ounces of that one and it was a struggle. I also paid for it after.

I've refined my taste down to pilsners and lagers and I'm ok with it.

A pilsner is a lager! #beersnob Big Grin

Hey, way to own it, lol. Big Grin

Ok, straw-colored oat soda with no bite. Whatever that is. Wink

Posts: 17625 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Guinness and New Castle are my go to beers. Also like a good hefeweizen in the summer.

I've tried just enough IPAs to be convinced I hate them - which is to say, maybe 3 or 4.

Posts: 7506 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I liked Newcastle as an emergency there is no good beer here beer, but then I read they use corn syrup.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What's an IPA?

Posts: 109051 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
if I cant see thru it I wont drink it, most of them are so bitter it's more of a punishment to drink them.

Posts: 5677 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's an IPA?

India Pale Ale.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slappin' dat Bass!
Picture of bassman
posted Hide Post
How about some KBS?

Posts: 1630 | Registered: November 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Para, "IPA" means India Pale Ale. There are much more knowledgeable people about them than me, but I believe they were developed for export to British held India during the colonial period. Seems like they were brewed to withstand temperature extremes and the voyage from GB to India. Don't know exactly how more hops made the beer more "durable," I assume there's more to it than that.

Posts: 13566 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Para, "IPA" means India Pale Ale. There are much more knowledgeable people about them than me, but I believe they were developed for export to British held India during the colonial period. Seems like they were brewed to withstand temperature extremes and the voyage from GB to India. Don't know exactly how more hops made the beer more "durable," I assume there's more to it than that.

I can only imagine how much more IPA sucked warm, in the heat of India...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
I was professionally involved in the craft industry very early. Luckily (or not) I was taught how to brew by a TRUE German Master Brewer who graduated top of his class at Doemans in Munich after his apprenticeship in Bavaria. He was 1 of 12 in the country that held the brewing certifications he does. Which included the "Big 3"

To say the least, his perfectionistic attitude towards brewing basically ruined me on what was and mostly is available today within the craft beers (they have gotten much better since I was in it 25yrs ago)

I opt to typically not taste a beer while one of the brewers is present as I can typically and have told them what they did incorrect through the process

Is it true that lagers are more difficult for a craft or micro-brewer to make than ales and stouts? Sure seems like many brew pubs don't even make a lager.

Yes, Jürgen often would say even his grandmother could brew an Ale, and she's dead

Ales (as a style include stouts, IPA etc etc... top fermented) don't require near the temperature specifics as lagers do. Ales can be brew to serve in 10- 14 days fast eating yeast at warmer temps. Lagers (bottom fermented)require very specific temp ranges and take longer from brew to serve 21-30 days

Ales are mostly artificially carbonated prior to packaging, lagers (typically) are naturally carbonated through the brewing process so having tanks which can withstand higher pressures is necessary. Thus higher equipment costs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6294 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IPA's were introduced for the super high hop (IBU - international bitter units) act as a preservative

This style enabled the English to produce a product that would stay fresh and not spoil while on ship going to India

My biggest issue in the US with the IPA style is 98% of every brewer uses Cascades (type of hop) because they are inexpensive and readily available because they grow domestically. There are dozens of other varieties available.. saaz (usually in pilsners), Kent Goulding name just a couple. Each imparts its own unique flavor characteristic. As well as some do better with the primary hopping and others as a finishing hop. They just a spice used in the beer really

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6294 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Anyone can brew a shitty ale, hop the hell out of it, and call it an IPA. Most IPAs to me taste like yak urine strained through a dirty sock.

It takes a steady hand to brew a really good, crisp, malty lager.

If all I had was Spaten Premium Lager or Devils Backbone Gold Leaf Lager to choose from, I'd be happy.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of micro-brew IPA's. I don't drink that much so I have not had the necessary exposure to them to generate fatigue. I will say though that for me at least, you can go overboard on the hops.

Examples

Dogfish 60 minute IPA = good

Victory Hopdevil = Too much

Posts: 3218 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
This is all true, and I will confess to drinking a Bud when it is 96 degrees and 89% humidity and I have been outside for 5 hours. (I won't drink Bud Light, and I'd prefer to die than drink a Corona, though.)

jhe888, I totally agree with you on Corona. It reminds me of a skunked beer. If I am going to drink a Mexican beer it will be Dos Equis.

Of course I'm no beer expert, I'll take a Coors Banquet, not Coors Light.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8380 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bassman:
How about some KBS?

That would be great, or a CBS as well.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
I love a big, hoppy IPA/Double IPA, but it has it's place. Usually a happy hour or an evening beer for me. You're right, it's not refreshing on a summer day. I usually lay off them in the warmer months. It can also really change the flavor of food, so I don't usually drink them with dinner.

What I really don't like is all the extra nonsense in the IPAs. I don't need habanero, jelly donut, back sweat flavored IPAs.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bassman:
How about some KBS?

I scored a 6-pack of this for the wife and I through the Tavour site. Sooo good! This isn't something I would ever be able to find in a store around here.

Ironically, the German beer lovers may hate IPAs, but the IPA-fueled craft beer movement is slowly turning the US into a version of Germany with small neighborhood breweries popping up all over. I love it! Most decent size towns (and some small ones) have 1 or more breweries/brewpubs. They usually have a decent selection on tap including lots of barrel aged varieties and seasonals.

We used to just have macro-beer and that was it. Now variety abounds so even if you don't like IPA's, other styles have come along for the ride. Heck, I bet there are more imports as well. I know before I got into craft beer hard core, it never would have entered my mind to buy anything made by Ze Germans or Belgians. Now I love to try different German and Belgian beers as excellent examples of certain styles.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post