SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Else Here Not A Fan Of IPA-Everything In Craft Beers?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Else Here Not A Fan Of IPA-Everything In Craft Beers? Login/Join 
Finding the
sweet spot
posted Hide Post
Really despise IPA's. I prefer my beer dark, Belgian and with an ETOH content of 8-10%.
Sean

------------------------------------------
Just because you can, doesn't mean
you should.

Posts: 963 | Location: KCMO | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
Anyone can brew a shitty ale, hop the hell out of it, and call it an IPA. Most IPAs to me taste like yak urine strained through a dirty sock.

It takes a steady hand to brew a really good, crisp, malty lager.

If all I had was Spaten Premium Lager or Devils Backbone Gold Leaf Lager to choose from, I'd be happy.

I realize this is an IPA-hate thread and that's OK, but it takes the same skill to brew a "really good" beer of any style. Mediocre examples of all abound.

Lagers just require refrigeration and more time, not technically harder (heck, almost all the brewhouses have glycol temp controlled fermenters anyway, want lager? Set it to 54 instead of 66.) IPAs have their own nuances of technique, hop-stands, dry hopping, good hop selection etc.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
IPAs now are incredible. About 7-9 years ago most of them sucked because every brewer was jumping on the bandwagon and trying to make the most aggressively hopped beer on the market. The flavors possible with the hop varieties available now are amazing. I love most styles so I can sit down with just about anything. The state of sour beers right now is where IPAs were a few years ago. It's the latest craze so there's a lot of bad ones out there. Some quality ones are popping up though.

Posts: 13829 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Amen! Hacker-Pschorr Pils bitte. I like a good IPA but not all the friggen time every friggen where.

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
San Diego now considers itself the IPA craft beer capital, too bad for me. I love a good Pils, a Märzen, and a Hefeweizen is very refreshing in summer, not that it's ever really summer here....

Posts: 18351 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:
All these IPAs and Session Ales, what the hell is a session ale.

A "session ale" is an IPA that's hopped more lightly and has somewhat lower alcohol by volume than more full-bore IPAs. They're called "session" or "all day" IPAs because you can drink more of them, for longer, without burning out on the taste or becoming so blitzed you can't stand up Smile

quote:
Fuck you I want a beer. Whether its bud light ...

Bud Lite is beer only in the very loosest sense of the definition of "beer." "Mildly beer-flavoured carbonated water" would be a more apt description.

The reason real beers are not served at near-freezing temperatures is because they can be. The reason the pop-fizzle rice-water most Americans call "beer" is served so cold is because, if your taste buds weren't numbed by the cold, and you could actually tell what it tasted like, you wouldn't drink it.

quote:
or becks its beer you twat.

Maybe real Beck's, but...

quote:

If you've been drinking Beck's in America, you've been punked for thinking your brew is from Bremen.

Beck's is made in America, just like Bud. In fact, they're crafted in the same breweries.

Source: Deceived Beck's beer drinkers can guzzle $50 refund

The common mass-produced "beers," like Budweiser, bear about as much resemblance to beer as a McDonald's burger does to a real burger. That's fine if that's what you like, but, it ain't beer, any more than grape flavoured Kool-Aid is grape juice.

Btw: Heavily-hopped IPAs aren't the only craft beers available. Not by a long shot. There's every kind imaginable, incl. German-style lagers (what Bud pretends to be), stouts, etc.

This is all true, and I will confess to drinking a Bud when it is 96 degrees and 89% humidity and I have been outside for 5 hours. (I won't drink Bud Light, and I'd prefer to die than drink a Corona, though.)

But if Bud Light makes you happy, enjoy it.

session ale or beer is as you described, but not just an IPA,
basically what Dogfish Head call lawnmower beer,

while I enjoy an occasional Coors Banquet (not light) beer with pizza,, I do really like bitter beer,

and I agree with Leemur the market is better now than ever,

and Sours are getting there, domestically,
I have had some decent local stuff, but the really good sours are still Belgian,

re the BMC's it takes skill to make a BMC taste the same everywhere, and from several different breweries (more like industrial plants,,,)

and speaking of DFH

take a 60 minute, and a 90 minute , chill, open and pour in a tall 24oz glass,
pour it correctly so it gets just a bit of head, and mixes well

heaven in a glass that is,

perfect blend of malt, dryness and hop flavor,

it's served in the Alehouse,

the bottled variety has maple syrup in it to give the yeast a boost, not near as good

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10575 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
San Diego now considers itself the IPA craft beer capital, too bad for me. I love a good Pils, a Märzen, and a Hefeweizen is very refreshing in summer, not that it's ever really summer here....

Same here in Seattle. I agree with your beer taste. Last time I was shopping I was disgusted with the ipa dong measuring contest and got a case of hard cider.

Posts: 10040 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll give restaurants here a hard time CONSTANTLY.

Richmond has an AMAZING craft beer scene. There are breweries all over the place to the point that I don't really buy any beer that isn't made here these days.

The restaurants here are very good about making sure at least half of their taps are filled with good local stuff so when I see ALL of the craft beers taps are IPAs, I get annoyed and I'll definitely rib them pretty hard.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Anyone else not a huge fan of these IPA's dominating the American beer scene?
I strongly dislike IPAs, and can't fathom why they're so popular

I prefer Stouts, Porters, Brown Ales, and just about anything other than IPAs.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
I'm lucky in that I live in Portland and we have craft beer everywhere. Not every beer is a summer beer, very true.

There are a lot of IPA's here that are really good. Imperial IPA yum good stuff. That said there are a lot of "also ran" IPAs out there. I'm betting a lot of you all have been stuck with the also rans. If you get to the Portland area let me know I'll be your designated driver and beer guide. (I can't drink post concussions).

ESB love it. Extra special bitter

Stouts good stuff. Lompoc Strong Draft - LSD - very good, I used to order it just because you can't go wrong ordering a freaking LSD!

Widmer Hef, very good! I'm betting most of you would like it. Easy drinking, summer or winter

Deschutes Mirror Pond ale. Great summer bear, easy drinking, good taste.

There's a lot of beers out there packed with different flavors, night my thing.

Bitburger! good stuff!

Posts: 1039 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
I love IPAs and have even home-brewed my own but a newer style of IPA that is hugely popular these days is the New England style IPA which is both cloudy and super juicy. Much less bitter than your usual West Coast/Midwest IPA and tastes citrusy and juicy. I suggest anyone who hates the average IPA to try a New England "juicy" IPA. Being in Chicago, I have access to some great breweries but I highly recommend trying this style from your local craft brewery. Most microbreweries are jumping all over this style.

Sours and Gose beers are very popular these days as well and I love them just as much.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a fan. I don't like bitter so I look elsewhere when dranking beer. Quads and sours are what I like most. I've found some great pilsners too.

Posts: 4322 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I will take a guinness, Moose drool, black butte porter, cold smoke, octoberfest any day, any time of year.

An Alaskan Amber works for an occasional change in the warm season.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19708 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Bitter beer face! Anybody remember that? I do, I remember bitter being badder, people wanted smooth! And then, suddenly, IPAs roll in and they're the hottest tits you ever seen. My theory is that it's just another "adult" thing. Look how Adult I am! I drink IPAs, they're so bitter, it's like I'm drinking directly from a dog's sour asshole! This is not fun, and I am not enjoying myself, and I wish I could lick a belt sander so I didn't have to taste this swill anymore, but goddamn, look how Adult I am being right now! Sort of a continuation of early adulthood proving how manly you were by how much hard alcohol you could chug before you shit your pants on the way to the ER.

Now, that's not to say some people don't actually like IPA, or that all IPA is bad, it's just that it's incredible popularity, I think, is due to it's incredible popularity. The Paris Hilton of Beers. Or Kardashians. Or whoever the kids look up to these days for being a stupid spoiled whore.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17085 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I can't stand IPA. I don't care for mega hops flavor.

We have one local brewery - Wiseacre - that does hoppy EVERYTHING. It's kinda gross - seriously, why does a brown ale taste hoppy?

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3374 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.americancraftbeer.c...ll-is-a-session-ipa/

A brief look. First beer shown is what I drink sometimes. Big Founder's fan. Their Breakfast Stout is really good so I'm not all about IPA's. They make some good beer.
Guinness is go to 95% of the time with Blue Moon second.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

and speaking of DFH

take a 60 minute, and a 90 minute , chill, open and pour in a tall 24oz glass,
pour it correctly so it gets just a bit of head, and mixes well

heaven in a glass that is,

perfect blend of malt, dryness and hop flavor,

it's served in the Alehouse,

Ah yes, the good 'ol "75 minute" mix. That is how I like it, the 90 is too sweet for my tastes.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Really good IPAs have their place just like all other beer styles. It sounds like a lot of folks just aren't getting the opportunity to drink an incredible east coast IPA from one of the premier breweries before rendering a final opinion. Choose one of these breweries and you won't be disappointed:

Trillium
Treehouse
Tired Hands

But beer is meant to be enjoyed, so enjoy what you like and don't worry about what anyone else thinks!

Posts: 2342 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
IPA's can be good, but I usually just sip them. I'm not much of a sipper, so I don't drink them often. Basically the only time I will drink an IPA is when I'm offered it. The only beers I dislike are really dark, thick, coffee like stouts and draughts. I love me some Belgian ales. Delerium and Gulden Draak, that stuff will get you going real quick.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2547 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Don't like IPAs - all taste like grapefruit juice to me.

Posts: 9255 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post